Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There were reports of the MYP shipping without the spoiler last year and them limiting the top speed until it was installed so there must have been a reason for it.

Tesla Model Y Performance to be delivered without trunk spoiler due to parts shortage, top speed limited

Also remember that a lower suspension means lower wind resistance so there is some savings there.
yeah, that was my point about the lowering. it SHOULD be fractionally more aero... but aerodynamics can have strange quirks.
Also, the spoiler... the reason for that would be that it’s needed to generate downforce at higher speeds (above the speed its limited to without the spoiler) to keep the rear wheels pressed down properly instead of lifting up and wandering a bit.
Downforce like that usually comes at a cost of aerodynamic efficiency. But... what the spoiler does at the lower speeds at which most driving is done could be pretty negligible either way. Or.. it may cost a few miles.

There were reports of the MYP shipping without the spoiler last year and them limiting the top speed until it was installed so there must have been a reason for it.

Tesla Model Y Performance to be delivered without trunk spoiler due to parts shortage, top speed limited

Also remember that a lower suspension means lower wind resistance so there is some savings there.

Ride height likely trades against the tail spoiler which might help downforce but probably adds drag and mostly just looks cool

Reactions: advocate8
I completely disagree, If people want a Cheap EV they won't be buying a Tesla. They can get an ID4, Ionic5 or a BZ4x in the 40K-50K range and save much more then 3K with a longer range.

If someone is considering a Tesla and about to pay 60K+ an additional 3K for 50 miles range is not going to deter anyone. If anything Its only going to increase resale value if you only intend to keep the car a couple years and its going to increase the usability of the vehicle if you intend to keep it 10+ years .

The "Cheapest car" arguement works if your talking about sacrificing range and $$ for speed and looks but it doesn't apply to the SR vs LR
As someone else stated already, if you’re Hertz (or another fleet operator) buying thousands of MYs to rent out the SR AWD is a no-brainer.

As someone else stated already, if you’re Hertz (or another fleet operator) buying thousands of MYs to rent out the SR AWD is a no-brainer.
Which brings me to think maybe Tesla is waiting for Fremont to be on the same page before they switch all Y’s to new batteries. That is why they doing new trim while they wait. Possibility?

Reactions: afscotch and DrGriz
Anyone else noticing changes to the Tesla “Manage order” page and the app?

EDD no Ionger showing up in the app and now there is a link to edit my design on the manager order page whereas before, there was not (I had to manually enter in the URL since I had already completed my profile).

Everything seems to be back to normal now (EDD back in app and website interface changed back to what it has been since I completed by order profile). Not sure what happened there.
Once you logged in, that weird app version that was up awhile would not initially show edd but immediately went to if if you clicked manage account... and then I swear to god, you could click “edit design” modify your build (at old prices) right there in the phone app. Now its back to pretty much what it had been. no edit button.
strange days.

Reactions: oholladay
I completely disagree, If people want a Cheap EV they won't be buying a Tesla. They can get an ID4, Ionic5 or a BZ4x in the 40K-50K range and save much more then 3K with a longer range.

If someone is considering a Tesla and about to pay 60K+ an additional 3K for 50 miles range is not going to deter anyone. If anything Its only going to increase resale value if you only intend to keep the car a couple years and its going to increase the usability of the vehicle if you intend to keep it 10+ years .

The "Cheapest car" arguement works if your talking about sacrificing range and $$ for speed and looks but it doesn't apply to the SR vs LR

There are plenty of people that will shift their reservation over if it means they will get their car in 3-6 months instead of the 6-9 or even longer that it currently takes in many configurations.

The cost savings won't even necessarily factor into it much. Some people just can't wait half a year for a car and if they can get it in a couple of months they will be happy to do it.

Reactions: BGOwner

I never said people were shopping for cheap EVs and looking at Teslas. Not everyone trying to save money is cheap or poor. There are a lot of people who know Teslas are the best and will sacrifice living on the edge financially to own one. The supercharger network is a big factor for people who don't have home charging capability. A year ago we had a choice between an SR MY and ID4 and LR MY. Either would have worked financially but in the end, we didn't need to the extra range and AWD for the money. The ID4 was a disaster when we test drove it do no way we would put up with all its issues just to save a bit of money.

I also see people who don't care about range but want Red or 20" wheels (or both) getting the SR AWD since it will be the same price as the base LR MY.

Reactions: WhiteWi
yeah, that was my point about the lowering. it SHOULD be fractionally more aero... but aerodynamics can have strange quirks.
Also, the spoiler... the reason for that would be that it’s needed to generate downforce at higher speeds (above the speed its limited to without the spoiler) to keep the rear wheels pressed down properly instead of lifting up and wandering a bit.
Downforce like that usually comes at a cost of aerodynamic efficiency. But... what the spoiler does at the lower speeds at which most driving is done could be pretty negligible either way. Or.. it may cost a few miles.

I've seen 5+ percent difference in range from wheel/tyre choices

Once you logged in, that weird app version that was up awhile would not initially show edd but immediately went to if if you clicked manage account... and then I swear to god, you could click “edit design” modify your build (at old prices) right there in the phone app. Now its back to pretty much what it had been. no edit button.
strange days.

Same thing with my account

Whole Mars accidentally tweeted to everyone the internal employee details regarding 4680 Model Y. Nothing really new here, but interesting nonetheless. I find it interesting that they said they had to introduce a new variant because of the new cells. Perhaps Osbourne effect? Also trying to figure it what, if anything, this means regarding updating existing models to 4680.

1649892390614.jpeg
1649892587208.jpeg
1649892611501.jpeg

Whole Mars accidentally tweeted to everyone the internal employee details regarding 4680 Model Y. Nothing really new here, but interesting nonetheless. I find it interesting that they said they had to introduce a new variant because of the new cells. Perhaps Osbourne effect? Also trying to figure it what, if anything, this means regarding updating existing models to 4680.

View attachment 793449View attachment 793457View attachment 793458
Update: Looks like original tweet is gone now.

I find it interesting that they said they had to introduce a new variant because of the new cells.
Yep, you can't have two different vehicles, in the same model year, that share the same trim level/name. (Like how when they made some changes mid-year on the "Model S Long Range", that they made the new variant the "Model S Long Range Plus". And then they later dropped the Plus with another mid-year change.)

So even if they made a Model Y Long Range with the same exact performance/range specs, but using 4680s instead of 2170s, as the Fremont one it would have to have a different trim/name. (Maybe the "Model Y Long Horn Edition"? ;) )

Reactions: willow_hiller
Yep, you can't have two different vehicles, in the same model year, that share the same trim level/name. (Like how when they made some changes mid-year on the "Model S Long Range", that they made the new variant the "Model S Long Range Plus". And then they later dropped the Plus with another mid-year change.)

So even if they made a Model Y Long Range with the same exact spec performance/range specs, using 4680s instead of 2170s, as the Fremont one it would have to have a different trim/name. (Maybe the "Model Y Long Horn Edition"? ;) )

I would have rather had them make a LR+ with a 400 range.