Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that right away as well. Door fit and finish on both sides is no better than what we see from Fremont.

Which indicates that they 100% cloned the line from Fremont and did not take the opportunity to address issues with the way they are doing the assembly since I guess maybe they thought that would slow them down.

Love the thumbs downs. Give another explanation for why the exact same fitment issues are showing up at a brand new factory when Elon Musk stated 2+ years ago that panel gaps and fitment on Tesla vehicles would be the best in the industry and would be measured so well that if the panel gaps were off it would mean the tape measure was broken.

Last edited:
Which indicates that they 100% cloned the line from Fremont and did not take the opportunity to address issues with the way they are doing the assembly since I guess maybe they thought that would slow them down.

Love the thumbs downs. Give another explanation for why the exact same fitment issues are showing up at a brand new factory when Elon Musk stated 2+ years ago that panel gaps and fitment on Tesla vehicles would be the best in the industry and would be measured so well that if the panel gaps were off it would mean the tape measure was broken.
As far as we know those could be early assembly cars with new trainees. Once again this is not a major deal breaker and fixed in minutes at the time of delivery. I personally wouldn’t even worry about that.

As far as we know those could be early assembly cars with new trainees. Once again this is not a major deal breaker and fixed in minutes at the time of delivery. I personally wouldn’t even worry about that.
It comes down to whether it's an issue of a new line getting the hang of things or whether it's that the same people/processes are in place that cause sloppy assembly in Fremont.

One of the reasons proposed for Fremont assembly quality lacking is that it is an ancient factory and that the Tesla lines have been jammed into an existing footprint.

One would hope that any layout/fab issues that exist in Fremont would be completely resolved when a new plant was built. It would be fun to see what the dimensions and layout of the Model Y line in Fremont are compared to the one in Austin.

It comes down to whether it's an issue of a new line getting the hang of things or whether it's that the same people/processes are in place that cause sloppy assembly in Fremont.

One of the reasons proposed for Fremont assembly quality lacking is that it is an ancient factory and that the Tesla lines have been jammed into an existing footprint.

One would hope that any layout/fab issues that exist in Fremont would be completely resolved when a new plant was built. It would be fun to see what the dimensions and layout of the Model Y line in Fremont are compared to the one in Austin.
Watch Elon Giga Texas rodeo speech and you will see the difference in layout!

• Disagree
Reactions: Lonewulf45
it's the internet - even the fact that the earth is round can be argued :)
Why would you argue something that is so obvious internet hype and not true?!?!?!

We all know the earth is flat and you will fall off if you go too far out. I had a friend who’s friends cousins aunt went sailing, went out to far and fell off it was never heard from again.

Why would you argue something that is so obvious internet hype and not true?!?!?!

We all know the earth is flat and you will fall off if you go too far out. I had a friend who’s friends cousins aunt went sailing, went out to far and fell off it was never heard from again.
Whaaaatt that’s crazy! Did she sail with Bigfoot?

Last edited:

Not even remotely close.

The "line" is VERY VERY different if you are using stamped parts vs. gigacasts.

It's basically, just someone needs to know how to properly put a door on and adjust it for the long lever arm (i.e. a 0.1mm adjustment at the hinge would probably set that gap right).

Not even remotely close.

The "line" is VERY VERY different if you are using stamped parts vs. gigacasts.

It's basically, just someone needs to know how to properly put a door on and adjust it for the long lever arm (i.e. a 0.1mm adjustment at the hinge would probably set that gap right).

You're saying that the door panels in Fremont are stamped and the ones in Austin are cast? News to me if true. Something like 99% of the parts should be the same.

You're saying that the door panels in Fremont are stamped and the ones in Austin are cast? News to me if true. Something like 99% of the parts should be the same.
Maybe do more research about Tesla before posting? He was talking about rear and front of the car being casting at Texas while Fremont uses casting only for rear.

Last edited:
Maybe do more research about Tesla before posting? He was talking about rear and front of the car being cast at Texas while Fremont uses cast only for rear.
Sure, but the doors assemblies and how they're put on the car at the factory are probably the same, regardless of front/rear or just rear castings. It looks like bkp_duke was implying that the way the doors are installed at the factory would be different because of the front casting, which does not make sense if the doors and mounting points are the same between F and A assembly lines.

Reactions: voip-ninja
Sure, but the doors assemblies and how they're put on the car at the factory are probably the same, regardless of front/rear or just rear castings. It looks like bkp_duke was implying that the way the doors are installed at the factory would be different because of the front casting, which does not make sense if the doors and mounting points are the same between F and A assembly lines.
And we arguing about exactly what? Sorry I lost the point.

Maybe do more research about Tesla before posting? He was talking about rear and front of the car being casting at Texas while Fremont uses casting only for rear.
I'll post if I want to post.

Maybe what was actually under discussion was how doors are hanging wrong on Austin built cars exactly the way they hang wrong on Fremont built cars and he opined on casting vs. stamped cars which should have nothing to do with this issue.

Maybe what was actually under discussion was how doors are hanging wrong on Austin built cars exactly the way they hang wrong on Fremont built cars and he opined on casting vs. stamped cars which should have nothing to do with this issue.
Sorry, you claimed that Texas has exactly same assembly as Fremont. Not me.

I'll weigh in one lat time on it.... what I had kind of expected was whatever the setup at Austin was that it was so automated and precise that panel gaps just wouldn’t be possible. Clearly they are. that was my only point. They may or may not have a better system than at Fremont but it aint matching say Benz or Toyota on this... And the talk that the addition of front casting and structural pack would end it was just misguided.