Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the process? Do you just sign all the paperwork at delivery, and then ask the SA if the SC can fix it right then and there, or do you still have to make an appointment with the SC?
Probably depends on the SC but when we got our 2020 3 my wife asked them to adjust door and they did it right there while she waited a few minutes. I believe she already signed the papers by that time. Also when I got my used S from them they made sure to fix everything I noticed during pick up and then some.

Seems like it's been slow on the VIN front since Apr 1, and retooling at the start of a quarter makes sense to me. Being wrong about when the order bank will open doesn't invalid the rest of it for me, the plan could have changed or they hit a snag or it is, just not for the public yet. 🤷‍♂️
Bahhhh that “insider”post was hogwash. Time to admit it.

Reactions: byeLT4 and DrGriz
Probably depends on the SC but when we got our 2020 3 my wife asked them to adjust door and they did it right there while she waited a few minutes. I believe she already signed the papers by that time. Also when I got my used S from them they made sure to fix everything I noticed during pick up and then some.

There have been reports of people accepting the cars and noteing that there were panel or door gaps or other items they want delt with in the app per the SA and then later they are told that it is "within spec". If there is anything that I can't live with at the time of pickup I won't accept it . I'll give them time to repair it there or I will come back and reinspect the car for the repairs or any additional damage. If it fails the 2nd time it gets rejected.

There really is no reason that all of these cars aren't gone over and problems delt with before any customer even sets up their delivery date.
The only reason I would outrite reject a vin at first sight is if there was external damage ( dent , glass , curbed rims or paint damage)

There have been reports of people accepting the cars and noteing that there were panel or door gaps or other items they want delt with in the app per the SA and then later they are told that it is "within spec". If there is anything that I can't live with at the time of pickup I won't accept it . I'll give them time to repair it there or I will come back and reinspect the car for the repairs or any additional damage. If it fails the 2nd time it gets rejected.

There really is no reason that all of these cars aren't gone over and problems delt with before any customer even sets up their delivery date.
The only reason I would outrite reject a vin at first sight is if there was external damage ( dent , glass , curbed rims or paint damage)
I picked my car up on a weekend. The prep person went over it, then I did. It had a slight misalignment on the passenger rear door trim. No one there to fix, but they agree it was out of spec. Brought it back for the regular guys to fix. but it was actually a warped trim piece. I had to bring it back again once the part came. That said, they would have made any adjustments they could at the time. I am sure of it. There are simple things like scuffs and dirt that most places will fix at pick up. Others take more expertise, and it depends on how busy they are. Obviously, if they are slammed that day they won't be able to do it. It really all depends but I felt like they did what they could when they could for me when they could.

Reactions: WhiteWi
It can take 2 weeks from build to get the vehicle delivered to East Coast customers. Thus, MYs build starting on 4/18 may not get delivered until early May. However, the bigger question is m3inssider really an insider with valid info. He (or she) was wrong when the claimed orders for the new Austin built MY AWD would open up on 4/8 (perhaps true for Tesla employees but not for the general public). I do believe Fremont will start producing an updated MY soon using both front and rear mega-castings and iniitally with the alternative structural battery pack (with 2170 cells as being used in gigaberlin). It's really just a queston of how soon this will happen.
Yep, I agree, might be a good car but a bit heavy.

What is the spec for gaps ?

I see the same passenger door and trim off as on the Fremont designs. Manuf issue since day 1. If this is Austin I’m shocked this is still an issue!View attachment 793628
That's not really a trim issue, its a door alignment issue. My MYP from Fremont came that way and they tried to tell me it was in spec, but after 20 min it was perfectly aligned. Maybe they need a better jig for when they re-attach the doors in GA but it's one of the more easily adjustable points. Coming from an early Model 3, I'd rather have a door that they could adjust with a bolt or two in a 30 min than a completely uneven a pillar and fender that required a week in the body shop.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Sure there is, the majority of the people in this world aren't as obsessed as the people on this forum. And their goal is to be a machine that gets cars out the door and profit in their pocket. So the less time per vehicle they need to spend the more money they make (at every step along the way). And if one of us has to stop them and be like, mate, whats up with that gap they can fix it and be done. For what it's worth I had 3 slight scratches in my car that I found when I got it home after I had better lighting. They took care of it all today for free without batting an eye. Could they have spent an extra hour detailing the car that day? Sure. But what's their incentive right now, they had a lot of cars to get out the door at the end of the month.

That's not really a trim issue, its a door alignment issue. My MYP from Fremont came that way and they tried to tell me it was in spec, but after 20 min it was perfectly aligned. Maybe they need a better jig for when they re-attach the doors in GA but it's one of the more easily adjustable points. Coming from an early Model 3, I'd rather have a door that they could adjust with a bolt or two in a 30 min than a completely uneven a pillar and fender that required a week in the body shop.
Agreed. Door. Something they should have addressed long ago as it’s now 2,5 yrs in and a whole new production plant. Not too much to ask if there is reasonable QC going on.

Sure there is, the majority of the people in this world aren't as obsessed as the people on this forum. And their goal is to be a machine that gets cars out the door and profit in their pocket. So the less time per vehicle they need to spend the more money they make (at every step along the way). And if one of us has to stop them and be like, mate, whats up with that gap they can fix it and be done. For what it's worth I had 3 slight scratches in my car that I found when I got it home after I had better lighting. They took care of it all today for free without batting an eye. Could they have spent an extra hour detailing the car that day? Sure. But what's their incentive right now, they had a lot of cars to get out the door at the end of the month.

I don't disagree, it is interesting though that cars half the cost don't have these kinds of problems . There is usually someone at the plant who can visually see something is not in alignment and they deal with the issue at the source if a few sneak out it is the exception and not the rule. After two years of production there is no excuse for this bad QC on a car this expensive. Granted, things are not as bad as they used to be but they still seem on the bad side.

There were 15 posts in the 3 hours between your post and the memo, less than a page. And if you don’t want it to keep getting longer, you might spend 10 minutes skimming a few pages so you wont need to add needless posts. I understand the frustration of a thread getting needlessly long but there are things that can be done to prevent that.
It’s called sarcastic exaggeration, not frustration. I really don’t worry about it that much, I check a few times and the page I was originally looking at was way behind where the memo was posted. Thanks though.