Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think many of the w 2023 cars will have genuine longer ranges so Tesla based on price will have to increase range.
And some will figure out they need to inflate their range a little like Tesla’s approach to epa.
The gorilla still hanging out there will be charging. The supercharger network simply works…it works reliably, is quick, is pretty much where you need it to be.
Rest of charger setups just long way away from competing.

Reactions: SWIPE and DrGriz
And some will figure out they need to inflate their range a little like Tesla’s approach to epa.
The gorilla still hanging out there will be charging. The supercharger network simply works…it works reliably, is quick, is pretty much where you need it to be.
True but Elon keeps toying with the idea of opening the supercharger network to non Tesla vehicles. It will generate billions in revenue for Tesla since they will be charging a premium for other EV’s to use Tesla chargers. Hence longer lines for Tesla owners if this becomes reality.
Already done in some parts of Europe and I’m sure the US government would have some nice incentives if this happens in North America.

I'd love to see just a portion of the oil and gas subsidies we taxpayers provide to the fossil fuel industry moved over to CCS chargers.

True but Elon keeps toying with the idea of opening the supercharger network to non Tesla vehicles. It will generate billions in revenue for Tesla since they will be charging a premium for other EV’s to use Tesla chargers. Hence longer lines for Tesla owners if this becomes reality.
Already done in some parts of Europe and I’m sure the US government would have some nice incentives if this happens in North America.
It might be a zero sum gain with Tesla buyers less likely to pay a premium for a non-exclusive supercharger network.

I'd love to see just a portion of the oil and gas subsidies we taxpayers provide to the fossil fuel industry moved over to CCS chargers.

I say with humor, "What would Bernie say?"
Yes, I think infrastructure was a topic this year. Would love to see our country at least leaning in this direction. I hope to live to see it.

The way I understood the Tesla chargers going public was that it was dependent on getting federal funding. If the feds gave funding for the EV charging network, everyone would win.

Reactions: DrGriz
What freaks me out is that if the R&D 4680 numbers don't come to fruition, what does that mean for a 500 mile CT? Without the level of gains and efficiencies they were thinking, the CT is going to weigh somewhere between a Lightning and Hummer. It's "dumb" range coming at the expense of weight caused by more batteries. I know many focus on Idra and the presses or new features but I'm thinking the main driver of CT delay is the weight/range issue. Pure speculation but with the long time to start making 4680s and how we're seeing them used, I really think that's what's going on.
Please see Plaid+

500 mile cybertruck will likely go the way of the 500 mile plaid+
Drat, beat me to it.

Cybertruck and Roadster are more than 1 year off. I’d go more towards 2 or 3 if they want to do it right. If we see a CT in 2023, it’ll be a low range entry model not geared towards towing. Most people that buy and drive trucks don’t actually use them for towing. The actual construction workers and companies that use pickup trucks would rather have a Ford lightning because the format is the same. All of their existing stuff will work with it. Local dealers for service, etc. Tesla is too different from all these fleet trucks to make an impact there. And let’s face it, the person on here who thinks they need 500 miles of towing range is in the vast minority of people who want a CT.

Increasing a Model Y to 150 kWh of 4680 would mean around 5400#. Using stainless steel for body panels means easily over 6000#. Much like the battery day hype, a lot is going to need to go perfectly to hit the published specs.

If it was listed as included it should still be for past orders. They would need to ok a removal of an item/feature like they did with radar.
I mean it was listed as included on the website, and was included with all Tesla’s up until today apparently.
Is it not specifically listed on the order agreement though, so I’m not sure they actually have to deliver it. Of course, the steering wheel isn’t listed either…

Either way this is a complete BS move for a company already making 30% margins. I’m paying 75k for a MYP, and now I can’t even charge it when I get home?!?

Tesla is now selling the mobile charger separately.

And @sawyermerritt should link to the proper connector, Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle, not the corded mobile connector with 14-50 plug (which does match the $400 though, to be fair) but it is not what has been included in the past.

Mobile connector is only $275 not $400. Makes me think something fishy is going on here. Because without the Gen 2 mobile connector, the 14-50 adapter for $45 is worthless. Maybe they are adding the corded mobile connector to the list? Still other changes to come? Testing to see how angry the internet becomes?

This page does mention all options as needing to be paid for though.

Tesla is now selling the mobile charger separately. Not sure, if this also applies to us or not. This is not fair

Wait does that apply to existing orders??
BS if so, now I need to go buy something that isn’t in stock on Tesla’s website for $400 that was included when I ordered??
i am not sure if it applies to existing orders. I tried to search order agreement by mobile, charger keywords, could not find anything.

I guess in the next few weeks when people take delivery, we’ll get to know if this truly applies to new customers only. Elon Musk retweeted saying statistically it was not making sense to include mobile charger. Again it’s one of those things where customers are clueless.

I am getting tired of this company.

Tesla is now selling the mobile charger separately. Not sure, if this also applies to us or not. This is not fair

i am not sure if it applies to existing orders. I tried to search order agreement by mobile, charger keywords, could not find anything.

I guess in the next few weeks when people take delivery, we’ll get to know if this truly applies to new customers only. Elon Musk retweeted saying statistically it was not making sense to include mobile charger. Again it’s one of those things where customers are clueless.

I am getting tired of this company.
Or they are having supply chain chip shortage issues? Seems better to be without a charger than to take something else off the car? But would be easy to explain and deliver later as they become available again. They are sold out online and you’d imagine they have 200,000+ on order just to fulfill us M3 and MY orders. Unless they have been planning this for a while and are just including them until they run out and made the change on the website to cover this situation when/if it arises.

Or they are having supply chain chip shortage issues? Seems better to be without a charger than to take something else off the car? But would be easy to explain and deliver later as they become available again. They are sold out online and you’d imagine they have 200,000+ on order just to fulfill us M3 and MY orders. Unless they have been planning this for a while and are just including them until they run out and made the change on the website to cover this situation when/if it arises.
Mobile charger pack now will include more connectors

So looks like price is going up to $400 but will include more adapters

So looks like price is going up to $400 but will include more adapters.
For an additional $100 people can buy wall charger. It’s just a move to force people buy wall connector.

Reactions: tren01t