Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, manufacturers should attack Tesla on this. It's completely anti-consumer. It doesn't help that the mobile connector is OOS and will probably be price gouged.

Here's my chat with them.

View attachment 794403
I think it will be included with every car purchase until they specify it is not included

Their material has not all changed so copy it while you can.

This charging video actually says "YOUR CHARGING KIT" and you can purchase additional adapters. They can remove the charger from the car but they would need to compensate you for it.

The point is who the hell would want to go on a trip with an electric car if you didn't have a portable charger for emergencies . In the future when every gas station location has chargers you will still need one. Tesla network or not you never know when you will need it. . It would be a big mistake.

I have a wall charger and I won't accept delivery without the portable charger.
Hope you are willing to never drive a Tesla. You will reject twice and Tesla will cancel your order and keep your money. Nothing on any document you sign regarding delivery mentions a charger. It’s bush league but obviously not illegal or they wouldn’t pull this without citing some shortage or supply chain issue.

Elon need to provide stats that proves usage is low. He can ask UN to prove how $6b can solve food hunger. Now it’s his turn to show the stats.
Usage almost certainly is low - but that’s not the point. The point is this is a very important piece of equipment for buyers to have - even if they only need to rarely use it. I’m guessing that supply chain issues have limited the availability, and supplying one with every car risks delivery delays. In that case, maybe offer earlier deliveries to those who are willing to either go without it or accept a voucher to receive one at no charge in the future.

Hope you are willing to never drive a Tesla. You will reject twice and Tesla will cancel your order and keep your money. Nothing on any document you sign regarding delivery mentions a charger. It’s bush league but obviously not illegal or they wouldn’t pull this without citing some shortage or supply chain issue.

If it comes to that I would reject the first vin and then change the config back to a LR then contact some dealers about flipping the car when I get it at least enoug to make my money back for the car + accessories and I'm actually ok never driving a tesla again if they want to pull some petty stuff like this. They have raised the price of these cars by 14K , if they want to pull the chargers out then the proper time to do that is at the time of purchase. Offer the car with and without a charger , people who don't want it can save $400 . Got to wonder if the China shutdown and the lack of 4680's has caused them to start extracting $ by other means.

I still say that the people who had already ordered will get the charger. When tesla makes a change they generally grandfather existing orders. All the previous tesla's came with the charger and the SA said it came with the charger at the time of order so they would have a hard time taking it away leagally unless you agree to it

Last edited:
Usage almost certainly is low - but that’s not the point. The point is this is a very important piece of equipment for buyers to have - even if they only need to rarely use it. I’m guessing that supply chain issues have limited the availability, and supplying one with every car risks delivery delays. In that case, maybe offer earlier deliveries to those who are willing to either go without it or accept a voucher to receive one at no charge in the future.
I know in some States it does not rain very often so perhaps they will make wipers a paid for option and while we are at it how about do the same for heaters, don't need that in the deep south.

Reactions: Investor9872
If they said that Tesla has parts/chip shortage and temporally stops providing mobile connectors I would understand. But low usage? Mobile charger is important for peace of mind, gives an option to charge when visiting someone, camping etc. I think it's a wrong move that negatively impacts Tesla reputation.
Would be a terrible excuse of parts shortage since every other EV in the world comes with a Mobile charger. So Tesla is producing cars then all of a sudden they are running out of mobile chargers oh but wait you can buy one for $275 in our shop. Oh sorry they're currently out of stock. Hope you live next to a supercharger to power up your brand new EV.

If they said that Tesla has parts/chip shortage and temporally stops providing mobile connectors I would understand. But low usage? Mobile charger is important for peace of mind, gives an option to charge when visiting someone, camping etc. I think it's a wrong move that negatively impacts Tesla reputation.
Reading posts here I feel like I'm the only person who was just planning on sticking a 14-50 outlet in my garage and using this to charge....every day, not once in a while. Is this really that rare?

Would be a terrible excuse of parts shortage since every other EV in the world comes with a Mobile charger. So Tesla is producing cars then all of a sudden they are running out of mobile chargers oh but wait you can buy one for $275 in our shop. Oh sorry they're currently out of stock. Hope you live next to a supercharger to power up your brand new EV.
Best part is: Proprietary SC for more money to Tesla since you cannot get anything else...not even that elusive CCS adapter promised in October....joy. Not that I want to use that but talk about limiting options. People should get some amount of free SC per month if they want to pull this crap and/or 75% reduction on the price of wall chargers until they work their stuff out. This absolutely boils my blood.

BTW for anyone interested ( you can change the date in the archive) but this is from 4/4/2022

Home Charging.

Clearly says comes with vehicle . They are going to have a very difficult time not including it with existing orders

1650174241744.png

Go to the page today and you can see they changed from included to $400 .

1650174320421.png

Attachments

• 1650173943954.png
    1650173943954.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 70
I certainly hope Tesla does the right thing and at least only eliminates the included mobile charger for new orders placed after their web site was changed (4/15/22 ?) to say the mobile charger is not included. i already have a 48 amp J1772 ChargePoint wall charger installed in my garage that I will use with my future MY (with the J1772 to Tesla adapter). However, I want to keep the Tesla mobile charger in the car in case I need it when traveling and as a backup to my home charger. I've already purchased 3 different 240v adapter cords from Tesla to keep in the car along with the mobilie charger. I hope we can get some clarification from Tesla very soon.

Reactions: Investor9872
Not rare at all. Many Tesla owners use mobile connector and 14-50 adapter for daily home charging.

Yep. But do they take the TMC with them on trips ?

I do. And I have used it twice in the past 3 years: first time at an RV park in Roswell, NM back when that was just about the only charging available; and more recently at an RV park in rural Colorado when a head wind increased my Wh/mile dramatically.

Elon's reasoning is deeply flawed if it leads to stranded EVs.

I will be surprised if the EVSE is not included in cars already ordered, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over a $400 surcharge on a $60k car.

Reactions: pepperoni