Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually he did the proper forum etiquette. See something and make up the rest of the story as fact. Always works.
My bad on the other comment. Obviously the driver missed his turn going from Fremont to Bakersfield and instead of turning around made the 5 hour and 21 minute detour.

You would think that someone from socal would know socal. The truck could have come from somewhere else delivering cars in a unusual way that know no sane person would?

Maybe, but they were brand new with all the protective stuff on them. Taking a route you would expect an Austin truck to take to get to the Bay Area.

Sooooo, they obviously came from Germany and were dropped at the port in Houston!

Reactions: DrGriz
Since with no major competitions at present, buyers are at the mercy of Tesla... Wait until Lexus and Genesis get their sh$$$t together then that would be a different market. Too bad, I don't have time to wait. I would rather buy a Porches EV or MB EQS but out of my price range
Hyundai/Kia look like they just closed the gap, but I’m not sure about wait times (and I dislike the styling).

Hyundai/Kia look like they just closed the gap, but I’m not sure about wait times (and I dislike the styling).

Wait till all the other makers hit the brick wall of battery-supply crisis which Tesla has been preparing for years to handle.

Wait till their dealer networks all attempt to screw customers for the very limited supplies of cars while Tesla sells direct at MSRP for every single vehicle.

Wait till the public charging infrastructure gets overwhelmed by every single car but Tesla all wanting to "fill up" when traveling.

1) often
2) No. Order date.
3) Basically, yes
4) You can get one on Amazon for $75. 🤷‍♂️

From my limited knowledge, 4680 priority is for STANDARD MY with 276 miles range at present, IMO 2170 battery pack is not a deal breaker. Yes it's would take 5 mins longer to charge BUT it has 10+ yrs of production ,empirical data and reliability data.
I stop by the local Tesla showroom in Wilmington DE once in a while and IMO
(1) they know less than the people in this Tesla forum
(2) in reference to info about "no more Tesla charger accessory" after April 17 they said "April 17=delivery date", meaning even if we order cars before that date, we still don't get that
(3) Front Tesla mud flaps will be factory installed ONLY to a certain regions (heavy snow zones?)
(4) Trunk cover to hide stuff underneath won't come with MY

Since with no major competitions at present, buyers are at the mercy of Tesla... Wait until Lexus and Genesis get their sh$$$t together then that would be a different market. Too bad, I don't have time to wait. I would rather buy a Porches EV or MB EQS but out of my price range

For the mobile charger I had asked my local dealership. The cut off is the order date, not delivery date according them.

For the rear trunk cover I agree it socks if it doesn't come with one like the Berlin cars. But there are decent solutions online. I don't see me using it much since the truck space is mostly for my dog.

I agree with the Porsche comment. I currently own two P cars and I am on my 3rd 911. But for the price of 70 thousand or so for the MYP we are getting a very well rounded car with crazy performance for its size and good space. The cheapest Taycan either some options is 90+ thousand but with probably better range but not the performance.

I will try the MYP and see how it fits my needs and liking. It's almost like a new iPhone that tou can actually drive! Lol!

Reactions: preilly44
For the mobile charger I had asked my local dealership. The cut off is the order date, not delivery date according them.
aNAduy6.jpg

I agree with the Porsche comment. I currently own two P cars and I am on my 3rd 911. But for the price of 70 thousand or so for the MYP we are getting a very well rounded car with crazy performance for its size and good space. The cheapest Taycan either some options is 90+ thousand but with probably better range but not the performance.

I will try the MYP and see how it fits my needs and liking. It's almost like a new iPhone that tou can actually drive! Lol!
Thanks K... About your mobile charge statement NOW U make make me feel a lot better
About the Porsche... My close friend who helped built race cars for the Dover race track in Delaware convinced me 20+ yrs ago about Porches' quality when I bought my 1996 E-320 MB. I just bought a Tesla S Plaid 6 months ago and loves it

Thanks K... About your mobile charge statement NOW U make make me feel a lot better
About the Porsche... My close friend who helped built race cars for the Dover race track in Delaware convinced me 20+ yrs ago about Porches' quality when I bought my 1996 E-320 MB. I just bought a Tesla S Plaid 6 months ago and loves it
He just bought... (not I... I wish... hahahha)

My plan was to keep our 2020 LR AWD Y until its 3rd B-day (July 2023) and then trade UP to the latest Tesla Model Y while mine was still under warranty. But given the rapid pace of price INCREASES in the last 12 months and how used car prices have surged, I started thinking NOW is a great time to make the move. But then Austin came online with 4680 cells looming I changed my timeline "to as soon as I can order an Austin 4680 LR AWD". But given all the chatter about when we can reasonably expect to be able to order an LR AWD Austin 4680 Y with no real expectation of that happening before Q4 if not beyond, I'm now thinking of ordering a PMY with the 2170s for a $5K premium over the LR AWD. But then IL announced a new $4K rebate but only for cars delivered AFTER July 1st, so I'll probably order a PMY in June and see what EDD I get and go from there should there be any rumors of ANY improvements or new features i.e. new door cards, rear door laminated glass etc.

I was also reminded that the new S/X have the OLD 1860 cells and are performing as well as the 2170s (guessing new chemistry). I would guess there is still some room for improvement in future 2170s should 4680 cars not happen as fast and in volume as we all hope.

Reactions: geekfam

I am considering a S Plaid myself maybe next year or the following, if i can persuade the wife but even then i am not selling my 911. Two different worlds. Currently with the MYP we will have 4 cars and thats a bit excessive. I will probably sell my F150 before year's end and when my Macan's lease ends next year and the wife likes the Y i will probably make a move then.

Wait till all the other makers hit the brick wall of battery-supply crisis which Tesla has been preparing for years to handle.

Wait till their dealer networks all attempt to screw customers for the very limited supplies of cars while Tesla sells direct at MSRP for every single vehicle.

Wait till the public charging infrastructure gets overwhelmed by every single car but Tesla all wanting to "fill up" when traveling.
Tesla has quietly been opening up the supercharger network for non Tesla EVs in select locations - FYI.

While I may agree with #1 and #2, not so much with #3.

It looks like Tesla Supercharger Station is already overwhelmed in heavy traffic areas.
I can only guess how it will only become worse once more Ys are on the road.

I am in the learning mode today so bear with me
When they say "mobile charging" they mean this attached pic which allows us to charge our Tesla from a 14-50 electrical outlet?
Thanks

Yes - mobile charging is the set of cables and adapters you can carry in the car with you to plug into various sources of public power.

In contrast a Tesla Supercharger, or a dedicated Tesla home charger would have the cable at the charging station which goes directly to the car.

I am in the learning mode today so bear with me
When they say "mobile charging" they mean this attached pic which allows us to charge our Tesla from a 14-50 electrical outlet?
Thanks

This is the one that's was previously included, it does not come with a NEMA 14-50 adapter and you'd have to buy that separately as well

Reactions: BGOwner
Just ordered my Model Y yesterday. Delivery window is currently Nov - Feb. I originally wanted to test other manufacturers before deciding. Kia here in Tucson didn't have any vehicles to test and salesman said they weren't even taking orders because they had 50 in the queue and were only getting 3 in per month.

Tesla has quietly been opening up the supercharger network for non Tesla EVs in select locations - FYI.
Unless you have something new, this isn't true in the US. There were rumors about it that spread around Reddit when a MachE plugged into a Tesla charger (multiple have been cited) with their adapters, but none of them were able to authorize the charge per the MachE owners.

Reactions: tangible1
Unless you have something new, this isn't true in the US. There were rumors about it that spread around Reddit when a MachE plugged into a Tesla charger (multiple have been cited) with their adapters, but none of them were able to authorize the charge per the MachE owners.
That’s right, this isn’t true in the US right now, currently only a few countries in the EU, however I bring this up, because in the future I can see this expanded in the US, and that is relevant to know for all of us Tesla owners.

Source:
tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging