Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do people keep being up Homelink. First, it’s $325. Not $400. And it is an add on for wither car dealers too. Audi, Kia, Hyundai plus others all have it as an add on now, been like that for years. Usually you end up adding the auto dimming rear view mirror with compass that has it. This is not standard on most cars but either by itself or a add on package.
The point was that Tesla can offer options which require an on-site install whenever they want. So at some point if they decide they want to add a 2nd screen they can do it even without the AMD. All the 3rd party 2nd displays require the dash to be removed but once you plug it into your harness you potentially void your warranty. Tesla can come up with their own addon and have them installed just like homelink and they would likely sell out in the first hour.

The point was that Tesla can offer options which require an on-site install whenever they want. So at some point if they decide they want to add a 2nd screen they can do it even without the AMD. All the 3rd party 2nd displays require the dash to be removed but once you plug it into your harness you potentially void your warranty. Tesla can come up with their own addon and have them installed just like homelink and they would likely sell out in the first hour.
Oh, I 100% agree. For all the Cars I have bought over the years, Telsa has the list number of add ons. Its not like they dont have a second display in other cars, so having an option on the order screen, as they do with the Wheels and Power Cable, would help them add $$ to the bottom line.

Because of a delayed wireless charging cable ??.. LOL so your advice is to wait and pay thousands more (for a build quality which won't actually improve) because there was a chance you had to wait 2 weeks for a USB charger back in Janurary ?

LOL... hope thats paying off for you.
uhhh nothing to do with a wireless charger cable or build quality but thanks for assuming that. LOL I just didn't think the Model Y was a worth while upgrade I just picked up my Model 3.

Oh and its paying off pretty well since I paid $48k for my 2021 Model 3 LR last fall. Its nice to have the extra cargo space in the Y but the ride quality I experienced was pretty rough compared the Model 3 and it would be a very bumpy commute on the roads I drive.

Parts shortages, supply constraints and really long wait times. Also Model Y coming from different plants with different battery cells must be a logistical nightmare waiting for Texas to get production ramped up. It will be interesting to see when the Model Y SR hits the market and how this helps Tesla boost more production.

Plenty of vehicles in the Tesla lineup want 2170 cells, as do powerwalls, etc.

4680's ramp as fast as they ramp, and add to the supply of peak-demand Model Y's.

Model S and X keep rolling on 18650's...

I see zero supply-chain drama here. At Tesla that is.

IMO 2170 cells are not a deal breaker. Yes 4680 pack is a new technology but 2170 already has 10+ years of reliable, practical data, so either one would work for me. My friend has a 2005 Lexus LS with 300+k miles and that's almost 20 yrs of reliable, practical data... Can't beat that

Below is a excerpt from a story on Torque News (link: Tesla Confirms Refreshed Model Y With 4680 Cells & New Architecture Will Begin Deliveries Early 2022 | Torque News) discussing the October Tesla earnings call:

"One such update was a question regarding the delivery timeline of the refreshed Model Y with 4680 cells and a structural battery pack. In the call, Tesla’s Senior Vice President of Powertrain and Energy Engineering, Drew Baglino answer the question by saying.

This is a huge update from Tesla. We have known for some time now that Tesla was planning to begin production of the refreshed Model Y, which Musk has said will be the most advanced vehicle in the world with two-thirds of the body cast, in Giga Berlin and Giga Texas by the end of this quarter."
About the 4680 battery pack, "I am from Missouri" so I believe when I see it. I ordered MYLR in on March 01 with Dec 2022 EDD. Do I want the 4680 battery pack? yes but for me it's not a deal breaker because (1) 2170 battery pack already has 10+ yrs of proven reliability of service in REAL world (2) 4680 has been discussed as "structural" pack BUT Tesla with the 2170 battery are very safe car, so it's a moot point (3) yes we may gain 5 mins of charge time from 20% to 80% but if we are on the road and charge from 50% to 80% we don't see much gain in charging time because the RATE of charging is slower from 50%-80% than that of 20%-50%
So enjoy what we have . Lets hope that the fits and finishes plus paint quality of new Tesla are much better now before Lexus and Genesis move in and take over the market share. Yes, they are definitely can copy the ideas and MAKE THEM BETTER (and nothing wrong with it)

About the 4680 battery pack, "I am from Missouri" so I believe when I see it. I ordered MYLR in on March 01 with Dec 2022 EDD. Do I want the 4680 battery pack? yes but for me it's not a deal breaker because (1) 2170 battery pack already has 10+ yrs of proven reliability of service in REAL world (2) 4680 has been discussed as "structural" pack BUT Tesla with the 2170 battery are very safe car, so it's a moot point (3) yes we may gain 5 mins of charge time from 20% to 80% but if we are on the road and charge from 50% to 80% we don't see much gain in charging time because the RATE of charging is slower from 50%-80% than that of 20%-50%
So enjoy what we have . Lets hope that the fits and finishes plus paint quality of new Tesla are much better now before Lexus and Genesis move in and take over the market share. Yes, they are definitely can copy the ideas and MAKE THEM BETTER (and nothing wrong with it)
Good post except the end.

Which batteries would they use exactly to matter in terms of real production numbers?

Why do people keep being up Homelink. First, it’s $325. Not $400. And it is an add on for wither car dealers too. Audi, Kia, Hyundai plus others all have it as an add on now, been like that for years. Usually you end up adding the auto dimming rear view mirror with compass that has it. This is not standard on most cars but either by itself or a add on package.
People bring it up because it is a standard feature on every car I’m aware of in the $60K+ price range.

Tesla also had it as a standard feature up until fairly recently.

Reactions: cusetownusa
People bring it up because it is a standard feature on every car I’m aware of in the $60K+ price range.

Tesla also had it as a standard feature up until fairly recently.
I listed 3 brands above that it’s not standard on. Most cars have it on the enhanced auto dim rear view mirror. Which is usually part of a package or add on. kia charges $375 for it

Reactions: preilly44
SPECULATION:
Is all the current Austin production going to select individuals for long term, long range, extreme environment testing?
Also destructive testing?

Our guess based on internal memos and total lack of any other info is that Giga Texas is producing nothing but MYAWD standard range cars, and those cars are being given to in-house staff. No info on "long term" or other special environment testing - just giving the early units to people who are under strict rules to not talk about anything they find.

We also speculate that some cars may start going to fleet buyers - Tesla has promised over 100k units to various rental-like outfits. We've not seen any of that happen, but it would make sense if Tesla is doing a slow ramp and wanting time to see-how-the-work-in-the-field while also not confusing their public ordering or pricing stance.

• Helpful
Reactions: MontyFloyd
I listed 3 brands above that it’s not standard on. Most cars have it on the enhanced auto dim rear view mirror. Which is usually part of a package or add on. kia charges $375 for it
In the past 15 years I’ve purchased two Audis, two BMWs, a Honda an Acura, an Infiniti and two Minis.

None of those cars were expensive as the Tesla and all (with the exception of one of the Minis) had the feature regardless of options packages they included.

As I said Tesla used to include it standard and now on 60K cars they don’t.

Is it standard on S and X or does it require an option package?

Reactions: cusetownusa
All we can is speculate on the reason the sales are still company only. It could be because they are having issues or just because they aren’t producing enough to satisfy the demand they expect. I would assume ten of thousands of orders the minute they make the Standard model available.