Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the past 15 years I’ve purchased two Audis, two BMWs, a Honda an Acura, an Infiniti and two Minis.

None of those cars were expensive as the Tesla and all (with the exception of one of the Minis) had the feature regardless of options packages they included.

As I said Tesla used to include it standard and now on 60K cars they don’t.

Is it standard on S and X or does it require an option package?
In the Audi Q4 it was a $250 upgrade. This isn't unusual. In the previous cars you purchased, you likely had it installed as most dealerships choose packages with it included.

Edit: A google search will tell you that you are incorrect. It's an option on Acuras as well.

Reactions: BGOwner
In the past 15 years I’ve purchased two Audis, two BMWs, a Honda an Acura, an Infiniti and two Minis.

None of those cars were expensive as the Tesla and all (with the exception of one of the Minis) had the feature regardless of options packages they included.

As I said Tesla used to include it standard and now on 60K cars they don’t.

Is it standard on S and X or does it require an option package?

Tesla dropped it as standard gear because, unlike those other manuf's, they can see exactly what % of customers use the feature. It was low, I don't remember exactly how low, but low enough that they thought they were wasting parts including it in every car.

Like it or not, that was their reasoning for removing it as standard equip.

Tesla dropped it as standard gear because, unlike those other manuf's, they can see exactly what % of customers use the feature. It was low, I don't remember exactly how low, but low enough that they thought they were wasting parts including it in every car.

That's not the real reason. Elon lies about that stuff.

He said no one used the passenger lumbar, but that's misleading as people rarely adjust it when it's set.
He said no one used the mobile charger, which Teslascope showed 78% of their users used it at least once and it is the most common way to charge a Tesla.

There's no reason to take Elon for his word on "usage", it's about profits and supply chain. That dictates their decisions, not "usage".

That is what they said about the charging cable. I think the Cable is more used and more important to be standard, then the homelink. IMO. But we get neither. I actually ordered my Homelink since my VIN is hopefully imminent. It should be here Monday.

That is what they said about the charging cable. I think the Cable is more used and more important to be standard, then the homelink. IMO. But we get neither. I actually ordered my Homelink since my VIN is hopefully imminent. It should be here Monday.

I could see the charging bundle for sure.

But just as a counterpoint to that, we have 2 Teslas and have a home wall charger. I really only need one mobile kit, and even then I would probably use it 1-2 times per year (but when I need it, I REALLY need it).

LOL... I would have ordered it if I could have had it pre-installed but I am sitting on so many accessories now that I regret purchasing. (only because it makes walking away harder) . If my Next VIN works out the homelink will be purchased the same day.
This is my first time within 2 weeks of my EDD and first 2 weeks window. Hence why I bought the Homelink now. I have not gone crazy with accessories. For sure under 1k. Mats and Homelink where the big expenses

Reactions: DerbyCityY
Tesla ordering page only lists Performance and Long Range, so this a not available 3ed config?

As I said, it's not available to the general public yet. That was the big surprise at GigaTexas grand opening. They delivered cars.... but only to employees. We imagine as the factory ramps up, the new model may appear on the public site. Only Elon knows when.

I could see the charging bundle for sure.

But just as a counterpoint to that, we have 2 Teslas and have a home wall charger. I really only need one mobile kit, and even then I would probably use it 1-2 times per year (but when I need it, I REALLY need it).

Is having one wall connector enough for you guys?

We have a Model Y coming (soon, I hope). In the future though, my wife is planning on a Model 3 (or 2 if they ever release it).

We currently have one wall connector installed, but wondering if just having one is enough for a household.

We have a Model Y coming (soon, I hope). In the future though, my wife is planning on a Model 3 (or 2 if they ever release it).

We currently have one wall connector installed, but wondering if just having one is enough for a household.

Depends a LOT on how much you drive in a day. In the winter, you might need two just to keep the battery warm. BUT, I live in ND, have a 7 mile round trip daily commute and have charged on 120v, 20a for the last 6 years.

You should be able to alternate days and hit those off peak hours. Worst case you have your moble charger. I do plan on getting a second charger at some point but I am not sure if I want two Tesla wall chargers now. I am not 100% that I will have all Tesla's so my 2nd may be a standard connector.

I don't mind the charge for the Homelink but I wished it was an option you could configure when ordering the car and be preinstalled and ready to go on delivery day. Hate to waste a day off waiting for Tesla mobile service to tear apart the front end of my car to install it.

As far as the charging cable goes, I have one that was included with my Model 3 and have never used it but I like the peace of mind of having it for an emergency. Does the non Tesla charging adapter still come with the vehicles? Mine was included in the mobile charger bag. I do know that when it's time for a new Tesla purchase, my current Model 3 trade in will be missing the included car charger. :p

Yes. I can count on one hand over 5 years the number of times I would have liked to charge both cars at the same time.

We both work from home, and charge during daylight hours to let the solar fill the cars up (I hate the local utility with an unbridled passion).

In the Audi Q4 it was a $250 upgrade. This isn't unusual. In the previous cars you purchased, you likely had it installed as most dealerships choose packages with it included.

Edit: A google search will tell you that you are incorrect. It's an option on Acuras as well.

You don’t even know which Acura I purchased and you insist I’m incorrect.

Homelink was a standard feature on the 2008 MDX which was the last Acura I purchased.

I doubt that S/X owners use Homelink any more than Model 3 or Y owners do, so from my perspective removing the option on the 3 and Y, despite them being very expensive cars is just about Tesla cost cutting.

I don't mind the charge for the Homelink but I wished it was an option you could configure when ordering the car and be preinstalled and ready to go on delivery day. Hate to waste a day off waiting for Tesla mobile service to tear apart the front end of my car to install it.

As far as the charging cable goes, I have one that was included with my Model 3 and have never used it but I like the peace of mind of having it for an emergency. Does the non Tesla charging adapter still come with the vehicles? Mine was included in the mobile charger bag. I do know that when it's time for a new Tesla purchase, my current Model 3 trade in will be missing the included car charger. :p
It’s not really That big of a challenge. Heck, you don’t even have to be there for them to install it. They show up, open car and they are done in 20 minutes and drive away. Plus the value added to this process is most times they will even program it to you garage/gate at that time which could not be done from the factory. Rather painless and little to fret over honestly.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Which batteries would they use exactly to matter in terms of real production numbers?
I graduated in Dec'77 from a Grad Eng school in Connecticut. Wanted to buy a Honda hatchback to go to work but can't wait for 6-month delivery time so I bought a brand new '78 Monte Carlo, it was a piece of Junk for $6200. I am glad to see more quality and reliability Japanese cars that came in the USA market otherwise we still drive junk cars from the Big-3. I promise I NEVER buy a Big-3 company car again. 1996 I bought the MB E-320 , it was around $50K then. I traveled a lot to Germany for business and my German counterpart always drove his MB E-300? at 245km/hr on Autobahn. That's why I bought my current MB , the German engineering
Moral of the story is that the battery technology will continue to be improved and evolved. USA and the developed countries like Germany and Japan all have technology to produce the next Gen battery (Solid State?) , and don't count China out, they can COPY but they sell everything in volume hence quality control is still not up to par. Have U been to Shanghai? if we still think China is shitty then spend one wk in Shanghai. I worked there for 5 wks, a very modern and advanced city, just ignore Chinese characters then U think U are in NYC and better. I was able to walk the city at midnight and feel safe. Can U do that at your own big city? I wouldn't dare to do that in Philadelphia, Detroit, SF, Chicago, Atlanta etc..
Enjoy your Tesla

It’s not really That big of a challenge. Heck, you don’t even have to be there for them to install it. They show up, open car and they are done in 20 minutes and drive away. Plus the value added to this process is most times they will even program it to you garage/gate at that time which could not be done from the factory. Rather painless and little to fret over honestly.
Yeah I know the install is not long process. I was told 30 minutes for the Model Y and a little longer for the Model 3. It’s the 5 hour window that Tesla service gives you for the technician to arrive. I’m about 50 miles from the nearest Tesla dealer and was told that techs usually start from closest location to the furthest so I’m waiting most of the morning for them to arrive and then they reverse the process for the second half Schedule day appointments.
I usually get my service done while I’m at work but a SA told me that this install needs to be done at home to insure the home link transponder is working properly.

Not a big deal since the time I may give up for this install is made up quickly during the at work service appointments. 👍🏻