Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I know the install is not long process. I was told 30 minutes for the Model Y and a little longer for the Model 3. It’s the 5 hour window that Tesla service gives you for the technician to arrive. I’m about 50 miles from the nearest Tesla dealer and was told that techs usually start from closest location to the furthest so I’m waiting most of the morning for them to arrive and then they reverse the process for the second half Schedule day appointments.
I usually get my service done while I’m at work but a SA told me that this install needs to be done at home to insure the home link transponder is working properly.

Not a big deal since the time I may give up for this install is made up quickly during the at work service appointments. 👍🏻
I am taking mine with me when I pick up my car. Hopefully they will do it on DEL day. I am sure its pretty easy to link it to my garage door. I added my ICE to the door a few years ago and pretty sure its the same procedure.

Reactions: towndrunk
I highly doubt that they will do install on the delivery day. Let us know how it will go.
Me too, but figured I would try. A few people said bring everything you need installed with you. Saw a post where someone said they installed it while she was there. If not, no biggy, I take it home and have them drive over a few days later. Car will just be stuck in the garage until then. :D

Reactions: WhiteWi
As I said, it's not available to the general public yet. That was the big surprise at GigaTexas grand opening. They delivered cars.... but only to employees. We imagine as the factory ramps up, the new model may appear on the public site. Only Elon knows when.
Actually, my question was more like if Standard configuration was ever offered to general public. I understand these MY are not.

thanks

You don’t even know which Acura I purchased and you insist I’m incorrect.

Homelink was a standard feature on the 2008 MDX which was the last Acura I purchased.

I doubt that S/X owners use Homelink any more than Model 3 or Y owners do, so from my perspective removing the option on the 3 and Y, despite them being very expensive cars is just about Tesla cost cutting.
It is cost cutting, but it's something that many cars have as an option. When I looked yesterday Audi, Ford, and Acura offer it as an option...some standalone and some with technology packages.

The point is that it's pretty common to be an upgrade, even in that price range, and people don't care because dealers add it cars. So complaining that other cars have it ignores the many that do not. It's just a bad argument.

Tesla has been consistent in continuously trying to improve profits to a record level (compared to other cars) and keep cars moving out the door. That's why we saw the removal of passenger lumbar when other manufacturers were either holding cars or promising it later (BMW offered a discount for removing it). Same with the charging cable and same with Homelink. The 4680 was created for this very reason.

Anyone who believes Elon's usage tweets are fanboys or just dumb. It's about maximizing profits.

Reactions: hoje00
Actually, my question was more like if Standard configuration was ever offered to general public. I understand these MY are not.

thanks

To the best of my knowledge, Tesla has never offered anything but MYLR and MYP to the public.

They have chosen to craft the first 4680 texas-built MY be a slightly-lower-range/cheaper variant which will probably eventually form a base model in the model Y lineup, leaving room for the MYLR and MYP to move up-market a bit.

• Informative
Reactions: MontyFloyd
It is cost cutting, but it's something that many cars have as an option. When I looked yesterday Audi, Ford, and Acura offer it as an option...some standalone and some with technology packages.

The point is that it's pretty common to be an upgrade, even in that price range, and people don't care because dealers add it cars. So complaining that other cars have it ignores the many that do not. It's just a bad argument.

Tesla has been consistent in continuously trying to improve profits to a record level (compared to other cars) and keep cars moving out the door. That's why we saw the removal of passenger lumbar when other manufacturers were either holding cars or promising it later (BMW offered a discount for removing it). Same with the charging cable and same with Homelink. The 4680 was created for this very reason.

Anyone who believes Elon's usage tweets are fanboys or just dumb. It's about maximizing profits.
It’s sort of like not offering a spare tire. A friend texted me one day and said did you know that Tesla does not give you a spare tire in your new car? I knew that, but what was surprised to learn how many companies also do not offer spare tires any longer

Reactions: csrpenfab
the 4680 battery configuration is inferior from a consumer point of view to the current pack used in Freemont production. If the price was the same for each variation, the choice is a no brainer.

Nothing wrong with 4680 - Tesla simply decided to use fewer cells and make a shorter range pack in order to maximize the number of cars they could produce with the limited supply of cells. We expect it'll ramp, and eventually a LY 4680 pack will be made (by simply adding two more rows of cells to the pack as per it's original design layout)

It’s sort of like not offering a spare tire. A friend texted me one day and said did you know that Tesla does not give you a spare tire in your new car? I knew that, but what was surprised to learn how many companies also do not offer spare tires any longer
Congrats !! Finally got your VIN.... Your VIn is 27K higher then my last one and in the middle of a Quarter so it looks like they are running good numbers..

Hopefully I should be getting another soon..

Congrats !! Finally got your VIN.... Your VIn is 27K higher then my last one and in the middle of a Quarter so it looks like they are running good numbers..

Hopefully I should be getting another soon..
The VINs are not completely sequential (to keep analysts from making those assumptions about volume). I picked up a model y yesterday which was made on 4/28 that had a VIN 30k back from the one that I declined to accept last weekend.

That said, they're clearly cranking them out this quarter at a furious pace.

To the best of my knowledge, Tesla has never offered anything but MYLR and MYP to the public.

They have chosen to craft the first 4680 texas-built MY be a slightly-lower-range/cheaper variant which will probably eventually form a base model in the model Y lineup, leaving room for the MYLR and MYP to move up-market a bit.
They have offered a standard range for a while in the past. I thought the range was too small, but it turned out to be a bargain. Before the price increases, a lot of people had success reselling them for the price of an LR and moving up for almost free. :)

The VINs are not completely sequential (to keep analysts from making those assumptions about volume). I picked up a model y yesterday which was made on 4/28 that had a VIN 30k back from the one that I declined to accept last weekend.

That said, they're clearly cranking them out this quarter at a furious pace.
I hope the quality doesn't suffer but it probably will.

The M3 I own that was made during a similarly furious pace has quite a few fit and finish issues as well as squeaks/rattles since the day I bought it.

There can't possibly be enough Tesla employees buying Model Y SR to soak up all of Austin's production so are they just stockpiling them at distro centers?
I am still going with the Hertz theory, it has been said That Tesla was not going to let Hertz “jump the line” ahead of other Tesla orders, but if they are the only ones getting this new model then the did not jump any lines and they can make their 100k cars first.

There can't possibly be enough Tesla employees buying Model Y SR to soak up all of Austin's production so are they just stockpiling them at distro centers?

Tesla has something like 100k employees (but that's worldwide, and surely not all of them want their own Teslla).

Figure in-house could easily absorb the initial 10k units. At a few dozen per day, that does cover many months of ramp up.

After that, they could (if they want) start filling fleet orders which are up around 100k+

So no immediate need to rush to public if they don't want to.

I am still going with the Hertz theory, it has been said That Tesla was not going to let Hertz “jump the line” ahead of other Tesla orders, but if they are the only ones getting this new model then the did not jump any lines and they can make their 100k cars first.

I can't see how that could be possible. Hertz made their purchase in Mid 2021, If they had sold them to Hertz the SR would have been announced much earlier then FEB. And the price of the MYLR at the time of the fleet order was cheaper then the SR+ so I can't see them setteling for a lower range more expensive varient.

I have been wondering the same thing. My best guess is that the 4680 production has been much more difficult to perfect than anyone anticipated. That would make the Austin production numbers really small at this point. If they were being stockpiled at the distribution centers someone would have reported the A VIN numbers. We have heard nothing so far.

How many employees do they have at Austin, anyone know ?

Reactions: voip-ninja