Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been wondering the same thing. My best guess is that the 4680 production has been much more difficult to perfect than anyone anticipated. That would make the Austin production numbers really small at this point. If they were being stockpiled at the distribution centers someone would have reported the A VIN numbers. We have heard nothing so far.

How many employees do they have at Austin, anyone know ?
69,420 employees

Tesla has something like 100k employees (but that's worldwide, and surely not all of them want their own Teslla).

Figure in-house could easily absorb the initial 10k units. At a few dozen per day, that does cover many months of ramp up.

After that, they could (if they want) start filling fleet orders which are up around 100k+

So no immediate need to rush to public if they don't want to.
I am actually told by the SA she didn't get an SR offer and "didn't know where the rumor" comes from, yet no one here seems to be getting an Austin build, seriously questioning where those builds are going...

Tesla has something like 100k employees (but that's worldwide, and surely not all of them want their own Teslla).

Figure in-house could easily absorb the initial 10k units. At a few dozen per day, that does cover many months of ramp up.

After that, they could (if they want) start filling fleet orders which are up around 100k+

So no immediate need to rush to public if they don't want to.
Assuming Tesla has 50K employees in the US that assumes one in five of them will be purchasing a $60,000 car (median Tesla salary is $110,000 and many of those employees are in CA where federal and state taxes eat nearly 1/2 of their income). That's not going to happen. Many already own a different Tesla vehicle and many of them are in positions where they can't afford such an expensive car.

I have been wondering the same thing. My best guess is that the 4680 production has been much more difficult to perfect than anyone anticipated. That would make the Austin production numbers really small at this point. If they were being stockpiled at the distribution centers someone would have reported the A VIN numbers. We have heard nothing so far.

How many employees do they have at Austin, anyone know ?
I think this makes sense but still doesn't align with Elon's statement that Austin was ready to build cars with other cell types.

I am still going with the Hertz theory, it has been said That Tesla was not going to let Hertz “jump the line” ahead of other Tesla orders, but if they are the only ones getting this new model then the did not jump any lines and they can make their 100k cars first.
I also agree with this model. How can they jump ahead if it is not a model sold to public.
Could say is a variation of "different name for same item, but not the same because different name".

IMHO is a good thing, because Tesla could keep a very close eye on performance and reliability stats while in Hertz fleet.

69,420 employees
Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 9.44.13 AM.png

My guess is Austin AWD SR are going to employees associated with Tesla/Elon's other entities (low risk/exposure testing and tweaking), then also a bunch of hypers and reviewers (car and driver types) with tight NDAs. Short of stalking random VINs, I think they'd be able to hide in plain sight pretty easily. They give them 4 months to do their thing, write their reviews, then they'll be a coordinated release of the reviews and announcement the model is available for order in late Aug/Sept-ish for max hype going into a 4Q push to smash 2022 production numbers. All the while they are banking/ramping 4680s.

Assuming Tesla has 50K employees in the US that assumes one in five of them will be purchasing a $60,000 car (median Tesla salary is $110,000 and many of those employees are in CA where federal and state taxes eat nearly 1/2 of their income). That's not going to happen. Many already own a different Tesla vehicle and many of them are in positions where they can't afford such an expensive car.

I would imagine Tesla's internal testing program would involve either a reduced price, or an internal-lease setup that could easily make it a no-brainer to take the company car if you could use one.