Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm always amused by this argument, that somehow a manufacturers' cost-savings are not beneficial to the customers.

The Free Market does not care how much something costs to make, it is swayed by the value to consumers. Tesla sets prices based on supply and demand, just like everyone else. If they can make additional profit, then it strengthens their financial soundness, allowing for further investment and growth.

I would agree that "cutting corners" and reducing quality to save a few pennies is a horrible and self-defeating practice, but this usually happens when profit is lagging. That is not happening with the 4680.
It’s simple. Great that it helps the manufacturer’s bottom line. But after all the battery day BS I want a car that performs better. That is lighter, handles better, is quicker, has more range and a battery that handles more cycles. Or worst case? Two of the five? Or ...how about just one?
Instead, the cars perform worse by at least two of those measures -- range and quickness

Reactions: John in LB
But after all the battery day BS I want a car that performs better.

Not BS, just taking longer than expected and cutting edge engineering does not always pan out exactly as hoped/expected. In fact, there are always setbacks along the way, even when things go well.

You should try pushing the envelope sometime, you might appreciate what goes into it a little more.

Why would you delay for front casting? It wasnt a feature when you ordered. It isn’t a feature now. You might as well delay for active suspension and rocket thrusters.

I kinda agree - front casting reduces manufacturing costs and (maybe) saves a tiny bit of weight, but most users will never know the difference. If you wanna wait for something tangible, at least make it matrix-headlights or double-glazed rear windows or something.

It’s simple. Great that it helps the manufacturer’s bottom line. But after all the battery day BS I want a car that performs better. That is lighter, handles better, is quicker, has more range and a battery that handles more cycles. Or worst case? Two of the five? Or ...how about just one?
Instead, the cars perform worse by at least two of those measures -- range and quickness
How many miles have you logged on the new Austin Y or do you have driving review videos that you can link so we can all know the facts your concerned about? Do you Know the new model won’t handle better? That the battery Won’t handle more cycles? That it’s for sure Not lighter? I must have missed all the car in hand reviews.

I am just curious, if they are not planning to use Austin factory to produce LR and P, considering the demand for AWSR is small, what good to build it if it can't help to ease the demand. Sth. is off...
They already announced that Austin will produce the MYP & MYLR but they will be with 2170's not 4680's

1654005279833.png

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: RoyT and MP3Mike
But still not started, right? So sth. is not right. Either 4680 not progressing as planned or not enough 2170 to support Austin MY production, or Austin need time to make change to take 2170 which is not original plan. Sth. is not going according to the plan.
They can't just add 2170's they need to retool a line that handles them . Its like what Germany is doing and how slow their ramp is with 2170's. IT will be a few months before they are ready to produce 2170 cars.

As far as 4680's there is simply not enough production to support the MYP or MYLR. The 4680's will likely only be on the SR for the next few years ( as well as the Semi and CT).

4680's can be progressing fine but it would be chaos for them to release a MYP or LR with a 2170 & 4680 simutainously so the SR seems to be a compromise . They also have 3 years worth of Cybertruck orders which may need two times as many batteries as a MY so I can't see them restricting production of all vehicles because they are sharing a limited resource in the 4680. I son't expect to see a MYP or MYLR using 4680's until after the CT has began production.

They can't just add 2170's they need to retool a line that handles them . Its like what Germany is doing and how slow their ramp is with 2170's. IT will be a few months before they are ready to produce 2170 cars.

As far as 4680's there is simply not enough production to support the MYP or MYLR. The 4680's will likely only be on the SR for the next few years ( as well as the Semi and CT).

4680's can be progressing fine but it would be chaos for them to release a MYP or LR with a 2170 & 4680 simutainously so the SR seems to be a compromise . They also have 3 years worth of Cybertruck orders which may need two times as many batteries as a MY so I can't see them restricting production of all vehicles because they are sharing a limited resource in the 4680. I son't expect to see a MYP or MYLR using 4680's until after the CT has began production.
New production facility with multiple lines, may not have to retool, but just may not be ready. Unlike Fremont where they need to shut down a line, which slows output, Austin is still building out and easier to bring on a new line and keep the other lines producing the SR AWD without hurting output.

Agian though, as you have pointed out in the past, everything is just guesswork based on what we have seen on YouTube or read here and on Reddit. No facts until we actually see it.