Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They showed the NEW 2170 Battery Pack at the open house, using Front and Rear Castings and they've been pumping cars out for three months. Austin has the same production line.
GigaBerlin isn't using the front casting yet... Fremont has been using the rear casting, originally two pieces, from the beginning...

GigaTexas does not use the same production line...

Reactions: Mrbrock
MontyFloyd is right. All these arguments about whether it is possible to put a 2170 Battery Pack in an Austin built MYLR are ended by just looking at Berlin. They showed the NEW 2170 Battery Pack at the open house, using Front and Rear Castings and they've been pumping cars out for three months. Austin has the same production line. As soon as a, "regular customer" gets one of the many cars now coming out of Austin we'll know if they're YLR (too few people are taking the AWD bait). BTW, Fremont can't do any of this because, (as argued elsewhere on the Forum), Fremont is only using Rear Castings (regardless of how many Front Castings the drone flights are showing laying around outside).

See the post above. You have misinformation. Tesla has said they will not build structural 2170 packs at Austin. And what you are suggesting is taking a standard 2170 pack and encasing it in something structural which then makes it a structural 2170 pack. Just because the 2170 cells themselves aren’t structural, doesn’t mean the overall pack isn’t structural. Because the 4680 pack is structural, anything replacing it needs to be structural.

Austin is huge. It makes no sense to bottleneck a line by mixing battery types when they can create a new line for one type of batteries and churn out many more cars.

Reactions: advocate8
Austin delivery question. If the car was built in April, why did they wait until June to give it to a customer ?

Reactions: Snow Drift
Similar article to the one above but this also mentions that some reservation holders outside of TX....as far away as FL are now getting offers to change to MYAWD.

Reactions: KJD
$39,990 Base price is great... $20k for AWD is a bit much haha. I still say, sell this at $50k and we have a winner.
It's $59,990.
Similar article to the one above but this also mentions that some reservation holders outside of TX....as far away as FL are now getting offers to change to MYAWD.

It's really a bad deal unless you can get the car significantly faster. Most are being offered an exact trade for a worse car.

Reactions: KJD and advocate8
It's really a bad deal unless you can get the car significantly faster. Most are being offered an exact trade for a worse car.
Totally agree. I don't understand why they are offering this to people with EDDs of June and July. Nor why some MYP orders have been offered this. If Tesla wants to clear these off the lot they should be offering to those with EDDs into 2023. Those people, like myself, may actually bite. Also those people won't see a MYAWD price that is greater than their MYLR price.

Totally agree. I don't understand why they are offering this to people with EDDs of June and July. Nor why some MYP orders have been offered this. If Tesla wants to clear these off the lot they should be offering to those with EDDs into 2023. Those people, like myself, may actually bite. Also those people won't see a MYAWD price that is greater than their MYLR price.
The newer cars are at a higher price. The older ones they want to sell faster as cost of parts rise. As they get people to migrate it shifts LYMR deliveries faster.

$39,990 Base price is great... $20k for AWD is a bit much haha. I still say, sell this at $50k and we have a winner.
I think they do that to make registration taxes more manageable. In Minnesota my annual tax is calculated from the base MSRP before options. That means I'll pay tax on a $40k vehicle instead of a $60k vehicle.