Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really think that it's software conservative. With it being so new and not enough data for it. It's no different than what ford did with the mach e for the 1st year.
However, if you look at the extra weight compared to what people expected and the smaller pack than expected, it could be that the larger cells need more cooling which means they won’t be able to charge faster without damaging the packs.

All these people want to make excuses for data that doesn’t meet the hype. I think with the current production, you won’t see upgrades over time. If they develop better cooling with less weight and change the pack design then maybe you’ll see gains but Tesla doesn’t need to spend more money designing a pack to charge faster in MY. When they put 100 kWh in the CT to get 300 miles, that is when they’ll need faster charging curves. Or 200 kWh in semi.

Look how many cars they sell a year. The charging speed is obviously not an issue.

Reactions: advocate8
Understood, but it is annoying that the facts are the 4680 is observed to actually charge SLOWER in real world kilo-watts but is being spun to the opposite using smaller-pack-size scaling to make the "it charges faster" claim. A theoretical 4680 MYLR pack would have to compete at full-scale-percentage to hit "faster charging".
I get what you are saying, but this matches what we should have expected with a smaller pack. A marginally higher C rate and lower absolute numbers.

Tbh, this bodes well for what future products with larger packs will look like.

I get what you are saying, but this matches what we should have expected with a smaller pack. A marginally higher C rate and lower absolute numbers.

Tbh, this bodes well for what future products with larger packs will look like.
A fair current summary would be that the MYAWD charges slower than the existing MYLR, but shows promise of future improvement when built as a full size pack and maybe with additional improvements.

Saying that it charges faster right now is... misleading

Torque News: Tesla’s 4680 Cells Prove Revolutionary As Refreshed Model Y Revealed To Have A Small 50KWh Battery Pack.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Torque News: Tesla’s 4680 Cells Prove Revolutionary As Refreshed Model Y Revealed To Have A Small 50KWh Battery Pack.
That's kind of jumping to conclusions based on a string in the app. There is no way they could make 50kWh go 279 miles. That's 179wh/mile. That's 59% the energy consumption of other model Ys.

There is NO WAY this happened.

Did we see the overall vehicle weight from by 59%? No
Did we see aero efficiency improve? No
Are there new motors that use less power? No
Even if there was zero loss due to internal resistance we wouldn't see that kind of improvement.

I think the best explanation here is that the 50D is not indicative of battery size.

sounds interesting, not clear how we know the cell rating at 98Wh though
I've seen other info on 4680 cells that shows 92 Wh for the current generation cells. That would give 76 KWH total physical capacity for a pack with 828 cells and the max. available capacity would be closer to 71 KWH unless it's software limited to a lower value.

We've seen 2 different videos including calculations, one extrapolating energy added on a charge, one using a formula using average consumption, range left, plus the battery SoC, a calculation based on cell construction, and of course the EPA figure, all of which point to a useable 67/68kwh, and some people are still querying what size it is?

Reactions: jsight
We've seen 2 different videos including calculations, one extrapolating energy added on a charge, one using a formula using average consumption, range left, plus the battery SoC, a calculation based on cell construction, and of course the EPA figure, all of which point to a useable 67/68kwh, and some people are still querying what size it is?
It’s weird they didn’t make the Texas car RWD? They could have made it slightly cheaper, less of a range hit from LR…

Reactions: cusetownusa
It’s weird they didn’t make the Texas car RWD? They could have made it slightly cheaper, less of a range hit from LR…

Interesting thought/idea. I like the concept if the goal was a cheaper/entry-level model.

What seems to have happened is that they were trying to make a next-gen MYLR, including dual motors, and something kept them from reaching the intended full-4680-pack-size, so they punted and decided to ship exactly what they had, minus a couple rows of 4680 cells and deliver it mostly to in-house staff while they sort out the battery challenges. It's a bit ugly, but may be the shortest path for them to gain experience and get on with a full 4680 pack as soon as possible.

Then, a lot of people will want to buy it when they are not ready for high volume yet. (personally I would buy $57K RWD with 300 mile range 4680 battery over the current LR model at $63K) I think it is a possibility that they made first model out of Austin a little less attractive on purpose to control the demand.

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak
That's kind of jumping to conclusions based on a string in the app. There is no way they could make 50kWh go 279 miles. That's 179wh/mile. That's 59% the energy consumption of other model Ys.

There is NO WAY this happened.

Did we see the overall vehicle weight from by 59%? No
Did we see aero efficiency improve? No
Are there new motors that use less power? No
Even if there was zero loss due to internal resistance we wouldn't see that kind of improvement.

I think the best explanation here is that the 50D is not indicative of battery size.
50kwh is what’s in the SR RWD. Same as the (SR+) RWD M3.