Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that we've had photos where we can count the cells in the MYAWD 4680 pack, and it's literally 20% fewer cells in there than the original design, the odds of it being an "80 kwh pack" that's cleverly software locked to 65 kwh are really really low.

This doesn't mean they won't find an additional kw or two in the pack once they get comfortable with managing it - this happened on the 2170 and would be expected. But they are not gonna come unlock 15-20 kwh because they are simply not in there.
Not a debate but like a magic trick they let us see what they Want us to see and our facts are often based on that perception.

Not a debate but like a magic trick they let us see what they Want us to see and our facts are often based on that perception.
Any examples from the past that are similar to this? Where they’ve showed us one thing then surprised us with something vastly superior when all the kinks were worked out?

I think you will find the exact opposite the majority of the time. News leaks point one way or Elon promises something and we get less than what was expected or pay more for it. FSD, Model 3 being $35k, 4680, etc. Yes there are a few shining moments like Model Y deliveries commencing earlier than announced but I think you will find the vast majority of the time Tesla disappoints when following through on promises so I doubt they are teasing us with lower range than expecting on to follow up with surprise! Free extra range on the order of 30-50 miles. Please see earlier in this thread where the cost of software unlocking to Tesla is discussed (all those extra cells cost money and they’d need a >50% take rate on the unlock for it to be profitable, not a good bet from a financial standpoint, especially during a ramp where every cell is precious).

Should be interesting to see how this plays out:

so far they've all been fake.
I have a Y-LR on order and live <30 miles from the factory and so far not one LR has shown up in the cars being offered.
Every single one has been a Y-AWD
As others have posted - if you switch to an Austin car you will pay current price for it.
Very interesting though - I just checked this morning. No more offers of Austin cars.

Another fakir seeking his online moment.

4680 remains in only modest supply, as their production yields remain inconsistent
Giga Texas still only making 50-60 MY per day
2170 structural packs are possible, but an unlikely complication to a newly built factory still ramping up

Another fakir seeking his online moment.

4680 remains in only modest supply, as their production yields remain inconsistent
Giga Texas still only making 50-60 MY per day
2170 structural packs are possible, but an unlikely complication to a newly built factory still ramping up
I was very skeptical at first (and still am a little) but Troy Teslike agrees, which makes me believe it is probably true.

I was very skeptical at first (and still am a little) but Troy Teslike agrees, which makes me believe it is probably true.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Let's see a MYLR with an NA VIN.

It's possible, but is GigaTexas set up to
a) make 2170 structural battery packs
b) is the production line capable of flexing between different packs, including the added chassis floorpan stiffener for the 2170 pack (despite just getting rolling recently)
(also, the seat mounting is different - again a potentially different assembly station)

Finally, are people confusing terminology ? (AWD is close to the MYLR description terminology)

OK but let's look at a couple more factors. Did you know that the 4680 pack on the Austin Y still has strong battery regeneration after being charged to 100% ? See Youtube video about that here:
This only happens when the pack is software locked to a lower capacity.

Also, Tesla has only ever introduced new battery cells 3 times.
Model S (18650) and Model 3 (2170) : In both cases, The entire car was brand new, so they tested the motors, wiring, HVAC, software at the same time as the battery. But for Model Y (4680) the car is mature with 3 years of production already. Only the battery and front casting is new. So they can slowly test the new battery while producing cars for customers and ramping up 4680 cell production.

Let me pose a question to you : If you had designed a new long range 4680 battery pack with 300 miles of range, would you:
1) Release it with 300 miles of range, which competes with your Fremont Model Y? Or would you
2) Release it with 279 miles of range, only software limiting 7.5% of the pack, which allows the Fremont LR Y to continue selling with higher range, and allows for longer battery endurance and performance and supercharging testing.

Prediction : The Austin Model Y is a Long Range Model Y with 300 miles range. The remaining 7.5% battery capacity will be unlocked, along with acceleration boost to 4.2 seconds, as soon as they can produce enough 4680 to switch over Fremont to 4680 LR Y. Then both factories will build the same car. Maybe Model Y Performance will stick with 2170 for now, with the large pack and 303 mile range.
Look, the battery has the same chemistry and more density which makes it harder to cool. In terms of performance there just isn’t any magic here.
It’s almost sole advantage is Tesla can make it cheaper.
Anything else is else is rationalizing getting taken in by that battery day hogwash.

Last edited:
Reactions: tangible1

The same fanboy influencers that bought the previous fakes are getting aboard. They learned lessons but are ignoring them because they’re always desperate for content.
Maybe it’s real. But there’s no proof of that we didn’t see with the earlier fakes.

The same fanboy influencers that bought the previous fakes are getting aboard. They learned lessons but are ignoring them because they’re always desperate for content.
Maybe it’s real. But there’s no proof of that we didn’t see with the earlier fakes.
There’s already another thread in the general forum that is exploding with excitement over how much “better” the full casting will be than the existing 😂

• Funny
Reactions: advocate8
I guess in another week we should know if Austin is rolling out MY-LRs. I think we all expected this to happen at some point, but it was just a question of when. Assuming this is happening now, then the real question is how will Tesla handle any differences between the Fremont and Austin built MY-LR models. For example, will Fremont built MY's get the same updates as the Austin built MY's from this point going forward?

Reactions: KJD and tangible1