Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those look like the non-matrix lights to me?
Yup... Not matrix you can see the difference in the first pic and the 2nd in the austin LR.

1656464819301.png

1656464829380.png

Reactions: MacO512
You're right, I missed the attachments showing both battery packs. The two chassis variants were shown at both Giga Berlin and Giga Texas open house events.
I include those here, and the chassis hung up at the events show the added floorpan of the 2170 pretty clearly.
This is to say the 2170 pack is NOT structural, and requires further chassis reinforcement for integrity. The 4680 being structural does not.

1. Current MYLR and MYP chassis, using only the Rear Megacast, has a floorpan. The 4680 structural pack replaces that sheet steel floorpan. You already know this.
2. Fremont is shutting down for a re-fit in July. This was reported by Tesla itself. What they are re-fitting to is unknown, and I imply only that refit is likely to use both F+R casts.
The use of both castings is a saving of robots, time, and money. Tesla needs to get more cars delivered, faster, and make as much profit margin as possible.
A F+R megacast chassis with 2170 pack would achieve that.
3. You state that the 4680 and the die cast chassis components are engineering exercises and likely of little benefit to the vehicle owner.
I agree regarding the 4680. The primary benefit is Tesla profit margins. I expect there will be no range improvement any time soon, and charging time is not substantially better.
I disagree regarding the castings. Everyone wins with those. Tesla gets better margins, customers get cars faster and a better chassis with more consistent construction.
While Tesla would like to just roll over to 4680, it's not gonna happen, and their next best option is the 2170 non-structural pack chassis with both F+R castings.
1. Yes, we agree
2. Can you please post your source. It is not available on the internet as cataloged by Google.
3. I have said nothing about the megacasts being engineering exercises. I think they are frat for easier assembly and cost reduction. What I have said was they would be bad if the front required a major change to the current 2170 chassis to use based on your suggestions of needing to add a floor. This is where you confused me and where we disagree but is maybe just a poor choice of words early on by either/both of us. The current rear megacast with 2170 already has a floorpan. Adding the front megast should cause zero changes in the rest of the 2170 chassis. There is no need to “add a floor” to be able to use the front megacast. Should be as simple as removing multiple robots and replacing with the one or two needed to attach the new piece once it is rolled or hoisted into place.

So far we've had claims here that the Austin LR has Matrix headlights (they don't), 4680 (they don't) and an upgraded processor (they don't). I guess we can blame Tesla for their lack of clarity at the end of the day.
Tesla was pretty clear that they would be producing 2170 MYLR & P at Austin similar to Fremont and Germany. The 4680, processor and Matrix lights rumors did not come from them. The only thing unexpected was the addition of the rear shelf.

EDIT: I hust realized that this is the EOQ push so all the Texas people getting the Cars makes sense , they are trying to boost the Q2 Numbers and they have another 2 days to do it. I suspect other parts of the country will start to get cars from Texas when the New Quarter begins.

Last edited:
I was going off of what the SA was telling me when I asked him the specifics on the VIN they assigned me. I haven't seen the vehicle yet.
That's your first mistake, believing anything the SA tells you about your future car. When I got the VIN for my MYP, they told me it had Pirelli summer tires and "the latest Intel gaming computer". It arrived with Michelin Pilot A/S tires and the updated AMD chip.

Reactions: MacO512
Update: volunteer acquired

Hey TMC members!

As more and more of you are receiving your Giga Texas Model Y’s we’d like to proactively reach out to anyone who has taken delivery and help us ensure fitment for these models. We are looking for anyone interested in receiving a complementary set of floor mats from LDCRS in exchange for helping us test fit and providing some pictures/video!

DM us for more info!

Last edited:
Update: volunteer acquired

Hey TMC members!

As more and more of you are receiving your Giga Texas Model Y’s we’d like to proactively reach out to anyone who has taken delivery and help us ensure fitment for these models. We are looking for anyone interested in receiving a complementary set of floor mats from LDCRS in exchange for helping us test fit and providing some pictures/video!

DM us for more info!
@ldcrsmode , Has LDCRS released a floormat for the trunk area? Right now, I hav nothing. Love my LDCRS for the Front and Rear seats. Would love to put them in the back also.

@ldcrsmode , Has LDCRS released a floormat for the trunk area? Right now, I hav nothing. Love my LDCRS for the Front and Rear seats. Would love to put them in the back also.
We’re launching in 2-4 weeks! Be sure to sign up using the link below to be notified when they are available for purchase on Amazon!

• Helpful
Reactions: BGOwner
Interesting article on Electrek about the charging profile. They note that, "[w]hen breaking it down, the 4680 battery cell actually appears to have at least a 10% higher peak C rate and average C rate" and also pointed that the 2170 MY had several software updates pushed out over time that increased the charging rate as more data became available.

More interesting data on this topic. Texas-made Tesla Model Y with 4680 battery charges 0-97% in under 1 hour