Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The pack is also lighter per Munro. It will be interesting to follow the rest of their deconstruction. Must be something else accounting for extra weight.
the pack they've examined is the AWD pack - 2 sections of cells short of the full pack.

there are so many missing pieces to the story, and so much hyperbole surrounding anything 'Tesla', that it's gonna take a while to clear the fog.

Hello! Newbie here, so I ordered my MYLR on 5/28. EDD says Jan-March, I will be living in Texas temporarily but have property in Arkansas and will be moving back so I want to register it there and due to the Texas laws they wont allow me to receive delivery there. Since there’s no center in Arkansas, it would go to Memphis. Anyone know of any issues in this?

But we've literally seen the cut-away 4680 packs from the Austin factory event, counted the cells, and observed the pair of foam-pads that fill in for where the original design had cells. The numbers add up perfectly - 15% fewer cells, 15% fewer KWh, 15% less range.

Do you have evidence that the MYAWD pack has the full compliment of cells secretly hiding in it?

I'm not following your numbers. They don't support Tesla's anticipated 15% range increase from moving to the 4680 pack.

Hopefully Munro did some driving, charging, weighing, and comparing before dismantling.

I'm not following your numbers. They don't support Tesla's anticipated 15% range increase from moving to the 4680 pack.

Hopefully Munro did some driving, charging, weighing, and comparing before dismantling.
exactly. nothing follows from the Battery Day hype.
we will all need to tamp down the wishful thinking and await actual evidence.
the Munro teardown will be helpful.

there are no miracles

Reactions: nativewolf

The numbers are really simple. The original 4860 pack design shown a couple years ago sported 800-odd cells. The MYAWD is in the high 600's, with two strips of padding where rows of cells were essentially deleted to make the smaller, shorter range pack.

The fact that Tesla talked about all kinds of different percentage gains several years ago has no impact on this simple reality. As best we can tell, right now, the 4860 pack has yet to realize those anticipated gains, which may have a lot to do with why Austin is now pumping out MYLR cars using 2170 cells identical to Fremont while continuing to do smaller amounts of MYAWD's with 4860 packs which they are clearly still getting up the learning curve.

Reactions: DanCar
the pack they've examined is the AWD pack - 2 sections of cells short of the full pack.

there are so many missing pieces to the story, and so much hyperbole surrounding anything 'Tesla', that it's gonna take a while to clear the fog.
They commented that it was half the weight of a Rivian battery and that includes the seats and console. So, half the capacity but add in 200kg for seats and console and it is only half the weight. Should pencil out to 2/3 or so without the 4680 and structural weight savings.

But I do agree that there is more to the story and I’d like to see weight without the seats and console and carpet. Just the bare pack.

And Elon confirmed that there was unrealized potential to 4680. The 15% less does track, except for the weight. That is the key puzzle piece. 15% less battery should be equal to 2170 range because they said there should be a 15% gain in range with same size battery (not exactly in those words but that’s what they led people to believe. Interested in tomorrow’s Munro video.

Last edited:
They commented that it was half the weight of a Rivian battery and that includes the seats and console. So, half the capacity but add in 200kg for seats and console and it is only half the weight. Should pencil out to 2/3 or so without the 4680 and structural weight savings.

But I do agree that there is more to the story and I’d like to see weight without the seats and console and carpet. Just the bare pack.

And Elon confirmed that there was unrealized potential to 4680. The 15% less does track, except for the weight. That is the key puzzle piece. 15% less battery should be equal to 2170 range because they said there should be a 15% gain in range with same size battery (not exactly in those words but that’s what they led people to believe. Interested in tomorrow’s Munro video.
We still don't know how many cells are inside that pack and we don't know how much is being held back . We are assuming its the same as what we saw in a cutaway but we really don't know so hopefully we get some real numbers in the next video.

We still don't know how many cells are inside that pack and we don't know how much is being held back . We are assuming its the same as what we saw in a cutaway but we really don't know so hopefully we get some real numbers in the next video.
Yes we do know. It’s 680ish cells with two rows of foam. It’s a MY AWD. It is established what’s inside the pack as far as cells. If it was anything else (i.e. the mythical software unlockable full 4680 pack), Tesla would likely be asking them to keep that quiet.

Yes we do know. It’s 680ish cells with two rows of foam. It’s a MY AWD. It is established what’s inside the pack as far as cells. If it was anything else (i.e. the mythical software unlockable full 4680 pack), Tesla would likely be asking them to keep that quiet.
No company is going to ask an someone who bought a vehicle in the wild to be quiet about anything. Munro doesn't work for Tesla, this is no NDA situation.
If the Batteries are not as efficient as they were touting on battery day the pack could very well be full, nothing mystical about it just less efficient.

In any case, in the Munro video they are expecting to see between 800 to 850 cells in that AWD pack so like I said, no one knows...

we are selling the 4680 cells just like
we did on the model y back in 2020
there is way less of them so we think
there's roughly 800 to 850 cells we'll
know the final count

Last edited:
The 4680 structural battery pack was designed to accommodate up to approximately 960 cells, according to multiple reports from some time ago. So, if the MY AWD is actually using less then 700 cells, then there is a lot of room for a much higher capacity version. It will be interesting to see how many cells Austin built MY-LR models (i.e., with 330 mi. EPA range) will have, and how much more the pack can be expanded for a future even longer range model.

The numbers are really simple. The original 4860 pack design shown a couple years ago sported 800-odd cells. The MYAWD is in the high 600's, with two strips of padding where rows of cells were essentially deleted to make the smaller, shorter range pack.

The fact that Tesla talked about all kinds of different percentage gains several years ago has no impact on this simple reality. As best we can tell, right now, the 4860 pack has yet to realize those anticipated gains, which may have a lot to do with why Austin is now pumping out MYLR cars using 2170 cells identical to Fremont while continuing to do smaller amounts of MYAWD's with 4860 packs which they are clearly still getting up the learning curve.
Yep, so far the 4680 it hasn't met expectations and that's why Musk said they need optimization where they spend more R/D monies and time that they are seemingly in denial of budgeting up front. It's the Cable Guy's business school of get'r done.

Sooooo much speculation and Battery Day hype lives on.
While I'd like to believe, the skeptic remains; Elon Musk as usual just keeps fanning the flames. It's tiresome. He needs to learn to under-promise and over-deliver.
Let's let Munro do his thing and help settle the roiling waters.
I'm sure it's gonna be good, I expect the best, but the exaggerations and wishful thinking I've had enough of.

Sooooo much speculation and Battery Day hype lives on.
While I'd like to believe, the skeptic remains; Elon Musk as usual just keeps fanning the flames. It's tiresome. He needs to learn to under-promise and over-deliver.
Let's let Munro do his thing and help settle the roiling waters.
I'm sure it's gonna be good, I expect the best, but the exaggerations and wishful thinking I've had enough of.

They have not found most of the customer-facing gains yet on the 4680 pack. The structural battery assembly is probably a success from a manufacturing and costs standpoint, but that's it.

I believe they will iterate and optimize and eventually get some power density / weight savings out of the 4680 design - it's just not gonna happen quickly.

Has Gigatexas started manufacturing the MY LR with white interiors? Talking to the SA here in Austin, he is seeing that deliveries with white interiors are getting pushed out, and suggesting switching to one with black interiors. Thoughts?

I'm hearing rumors from Monroe that the 4680 pack is absolutely completely infilled with weird pink foam to where you can't even see the cells upon first opening.... Fascinating stuff that reminds me of Apple absolutely glueing their phone batteries into the surrounding hardware.

Last edited: