Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe some of the confusion stems from Tesla building cars with BOTH the 2170s and now 4680s and calling them the same thing. Could the 4690s be “electronically limited” to mirror the 2170s specs given the demand for vehicles and the lack of 4680 batteries?

I’m not “lusting” over the 4680s as I originally was given what Tesla is getting from the OLD 1860s used in the FLAGSHIP S/X. The 2170s probably have more performance than is being extracted.

I believe some of the confusion stems from Tesla building cars with BOTH the 2170s and now 4680s and calling them the same thing. Could the 4690s be “electronically limited” to mirror the 2170s specs given the demand for vehicles and the lack of 4680 batteries?

I’m not “lusting” over the 4680s as I originally was given what Tesla is getting from the OLD 1860s used in the FLAGSHIP S/X. The 2170s probably have more performance than is being extracted.
They are different models. The 4680 model is the AWD Y, which has lower range, charge speed, and acceleration than the MY LR coming from Austin which is the same as the Freemont MY LR, both with 2170s.

They are not calling them "the same" at all.

To date there isn't a LR or Performance MY with 4680 batteries coming from anywhere.

4680 are not being limited by Tesl, they are limited from a chemistry/construction standpoint where they haven’t met expectations. They don’t mirror 2170, they are lagging behind in almost every aspect except capacity per cell. 2170s have been around for 5+ years, guessing they are maxed out by now. Already revised to 2170L.

welcome to the first structural battery pack :cool:
I love the comments in the YouTube chat about how they're not repairable, or how do you replace cells, what's all the foam for?
You can almost see the heads exploding at home 🤣
You know... This is one of those things which will cause many people to rethink purchasing an EV.

Not so muc the repairability but the ability to get a new battery pack . You can get a used ICE car thats 100 years old and get it on the road , they all have different motors but they all run on the same basic fuel. Every EV has a battery pack which is unique to their car so unless the manufacturer continues to make old battery packs or a third pary comes along making after market versions ( That structural would be a challange) all these $100k cars are going to become paperweights. Ideally they will unify the battery into a standard config in the future.

I have never sold a car I bought new. I have either drove them until they BZ4X'd or handed them on to another family member. But I feel like I am going to have to sell my Tesla to get any type of long term value out of it . ( Unless someone can guarentee battery availability for the next 50 years.

Its a hell of leap from "employees driving it around" all the way over to customer packs are exactly the same and must be software locked.
I would be very surprised if there weren't any 4680 long range test packs being driven in Tesla only cars.
But that just suggests they are testing internally, not shipping experimental software locked packs to customers.

This really reminds me of the great Model 3 HUD debacle where huge sections of the community convinced themselves that the M3 would have a HUD.

Reactions: KJD
You know... This is one of those things which will cause many people to rethink purchasing an EV.

Not so muc the repairability but the ability to get a new battery pack . You can get a used ICE car thats 100 years old and get it on the road , they all have different motors but they all run on the same basic fuel. Every EV has a battery pack which is unique to their car so unless the manufacturer continues to make old battery packs or a third pary comes along making after market versions ( That structural would be a challange) all these $100k cars are going to become paperweights. Ideally they will unify the battery into a standard config in the future.

I have never sold a car I bought new. I have either drove them until they BZ4X'd or handed them on to another family member. But I feel like I am going to have to sell my Tesla to get any type of long term value out of it . ( Unless someone can guarentee battery availability for the next 50 years.

I don't see a battery pack that will eventually wear out as being much different than an engine which will also eventually wear out and need replacing. You can argue that a 40 year old engine is vastly more serviceable than a battery pack, but I would assume if millions of Model Y's are made there will be an almost infinite supply of used/refurbed/new-replacement packs out to the time when the car itself would no longer be worth owning. In fact I think we're more likely to see perfectly-healthy packs outliving their cars and going into service in fixed-storage applications since a 70%-range Tesla pack is totally still useful as a power-wall.

I wonder how the packs will be recycled. There was some discussion of that in the Reddit thread. Maybe some kind of liquid solvent to dissolve the rigid pink structure? I know that Redwood Materials has been working with Tesla and other EV makers when it comes to pack recycling, so surely Tesla has thought this through. I guess we just wait for Munro and company to figure it out. Interesting find, which kind of makes sense since the pack is designed as structure.

RT

I don't see a battery pack that will eventually wear out as being much different than an engine which will also eventually wear out and need replacing. You can argue that a 40 year old engine is vastly more serviceable than a battery pack, but I would assume if millions of Model Y's are made there will be an almost infinite supply of used/refurbed/new-replacement packs out to the time when the car itself would no longer be worth owning. In fact I think we're more likely to see perfectly-healthy packs outliving their cars and going into service in fixed-storage applications since a 70%-range Tesla pack is totally still useful as a power-wall.
that's my thought too. Those old cars mostly work, but removing the rose tinted glasses and you see they're mostly nostalgia cars.
Who knows where cars will be in 60 years or if we will even be using them. All I know is that when the car is done with the pack there are a myriad of recycling options for them.

Reactions: DrGriz
t a
What a ridiculous rumor.

There is 0 chance that Tesla wasted that many batteries and software locked the car out of 40% of the capacity...or that the 4680s are that incredibly energy dense. That would mean it far exceeds battery day estimations with the amount of cells used.

I absolutely believe there are potential employees with 500 mile MYs...just like there have been Teslas testing LiDAR or the Cybertrucks driving around.

You are engaging in speculation here.

Tesla still makes replacement batteries for their Roadster. The oldest model in their fleet is still supported by factory replacements.

Reactions: _tb_
Are you trying to say that Tesla is going to continue to make battery packs for all of the cars it has ever produced for the next 20 years? Now thats Speculation

You can get replacement battery packs for early Prius's (25 years ago) - in fact there's a thriving refurb market. I don't see this as different

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
Are you trying to say that Tesla is going to continue to make battery packs for all of the cars it has ever produced for the next 20 years? Now thats Speculation
Tesla is making battery packs for every car they've ever made. For the past 12+ years

What exactly makes you think they will stop?

Obviously this is all speculation because it's the future. But we've got 12 years of history here which suggests they support products over time.

Tesla is making battery packs for every car they've ever made. For the past 12+ years

What exactly makes you think they will stop?

Obviously this is all speculation because it's the future. But we've got 12 years of history here which suggests they support products over time.

Actually thats not true... go and try to find a new 53 KW roadster battery... You can get a new 80KW upgrade because they are using a compatible pack (released in 2014 as the 3.0 upgrade)

By default Tesla has an 8 yr battery warranty and by law they need to provide I believe its 6 (down from 10) years of spare parts. On top of this Tesla only sold 5 varients. Now the new 4680 pack is another new varient .

Tesla has not acutally made the same model of an existing car which uses a completely different battery pack yet. Once they are all phased out we'll see how long beyond what is required they retain or manufacturer new stock.