Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
someone's trying to keep Battery Day hype alive. FAIL
Eh, seems like some websites are finally realizing the 4680s aren’t there yet. Maybe more will follow and no one will care about 4680 vs 2170.

I’m not waiting or lusting over the 4680s, why, just look what Tesla has gotten out of the OLD 1860s currently used in the new S/X. I bet there is a lot of life and POWER in the 2170s that hasn’t been released yet.
Actually, this follows the science. Larger cells are harder to cool so performance has to be muted or you will spend lots of energy keeping the cells in optimal thermal range, if it’s even possible without long shutdown cooling periods. The smaller diameter the cells, the easier it is to cool them. Therefore Tesla knows they can get more performance, repeatable performance, from smaller diameter cells.

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA
Actually, this follows the science. Larger cells are harder to cool so performance has to be muted or you will spend lots of energy keeping the cells in optimal thermal range, if it’s even possible without long shutdown cooling periods. The smaller diameter the cells, the easier it is to cool them. Therefore Tesla knows they can get more performance, repeatable performance, from smaller diameter cells.
This is what tabless was meant to solve. Much higher dissipation path for both heat and current.

This is what tabless was meant to solve. Much higher dissipation path for both heat and current.
Yes, but the first generation of something is never going to be the best. It will takes years of tweaking to get to the battery day numbers. Building the cells is one thing, figuring out how best to assemble the pack to take advantage of the cell advancements is another. Especially within the constraints of the current space available in the MY for said pack.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Looks like Munro is counting 816 4680's

He did hedge a little bit on the count saying we don't know for sure until we have the top completely off.

It does look like 4 bricks and 204 cells in each, so yes 816 total, is probably the number.

Looking forward to seeing the details of the cooling system in this pack. How much different or the same is this compared to the 2170 pack ?

Here is some speculation using the #'s from Munro and the battery capacity from the breakdown. which puts the 4680 pack at 80KW.

Thinks the 4680 pack could actually get 350 miles of range, but could be SW limited. He suggested that a good test of this will be if those that bought these 4680 cars don't see any degradation over the first number of months, it could show that the packs are SW limited. The 2170 Y degrades slowly from the 326 stated range. You would think the charging curve would also allow one to detect this.

RT

He did hedge a little bit on the count saying we don't know for sure until we have the top completely off.

It does look like 4 bricks and 204 cells in each, so yes 816 total, is probably the number.

Looking forward to seeing the details of the cooling system in this pack. How much different or the same is this compared to the 2170 pack ?
It's possible there are 816 cells. It's also possible there are 690. No one knows until the full pack is disassembled by Munro.
It's possible the individual 4680 cells are up to the rumored rating of 96wh. It's also possible they are early cells, and not to that spec, and so the pack is 816 cells.
It's possible the pack is software limited. Wouldn't be the first time. And, it's possible the total potential energy is more variable than 2170 packs due to early 4680 cells.

Internet speculation is mother's milk to bloggers.

Reactions: cusetownusa
How many are you certain of again?
If it’s more than 690 then what does that mean for the pack that was on display with the two missing rows? Custom designed to throw us off? Random sample pre production pack? Seems like a lot of work to design something for display that isn’t what you are actually building.

All of the initial speculation here is based on people attending events with 4680 packs on display was 828 for full pack and 690 with the 2 rows removed. That’s 69 cells per row for those counting at home. Maybe an Elon joke? 804/12=67 per row. Maybe a simple miscount by those in attendance or those analyzing pictures?

I’ll reserve my final comments until Munro actually has all the foam removed and the cells removed (empty dummy cells anyone?). If it is 804 then I’ll admit my speculation of the facts was wrong. However, I think Tesla would have had to certify the car with the EPA for the longer range if it were software unlockable.

Purely from a financial standpoint and dealing with limited 4680 production, it doesn’t make any sense for Tesla to put in extra cells for software locking capacity. Following this path, maybe these are still first Gen cells with reduced capacity so they need a full pack to get to 69kwh.

If it’s more than 690 then what does that mean for the pack that was on display with the two missing rows? Custom designed to throw us off? Random sample pre production pack? Seems like a lot of work to design something for display that isn’t what you are actually building.

All of the initial speculation here is based on people attending events with 4680 packs on display was 828 for full pack and 690 with the 2 rows removed. That’s 69 cells per row for those counting at home. Maybe an Elon joke? 804/12=67 per row. Maybe a simple miscount by those in attendance or those analyzing pictures?

I’ll reserve my final comments until Munro actually has all the foam removed and the cells removed (empty dummy cells anyone?). If it is 804 then I’ll admit my speculation of the facts was wrong. However, I think Tesla would have had to certify the car with the EPA for the longer range if it were software unlockable.

Purely from a financial standpoint and dealing with limited 4680 production, it doesn’t make any sense for Tesla to put in extra cells for software locking capacity. Following this path, maybe these are still first Gen cells with reduced capacity so they need a full pack to get to 69kwh.
we all need to hold the horses until Munro is finished the battery pack teardown.
cell count, the possibility of neutral/inert cells for things such as structural integrity, early production cells having less energy density or more variability, all factor into what the true kWh rating of the pack may be, and whether any of those elements led to a SW-derived pack rating.

More a statement on we know facts and certainty when they are really assumption and speculation at best. At this point we Don’t know what’s inside, we Don’t know it’s full potential nor do we Know Teslas plan. We can speculate but that should pause at certain fact. Assumption, dialing in the new battery tech and Selling extended future range is actually a Very smart revenue play without land locking existing sales and interest.

Reactions: tangible1