Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well todays youtube says the count is 828. o_O
Not sure why the number changed but OK.

I'm curious what that means the pack size is (kW) with that many cells.
No sure that we have a real capabilities for the cell yet.
Not a popular thought but maybe they really did decide just to make one size of pack - I say this as someone who thought it highly unlikely that this was the case. But now Munro have been digging more, it looks like there really are that many cells in there.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Well todays youtube says the count is 828. o_O
Not sure why the number changed but OK.

I don't know whats in there now... At the end of the Video Cory says that they need to remove all the batteries , all 600 of them....

Here are the Time stamps for the 2 quotes ( transcrips are a bit wonky so better to listen to them

9:44 previous model 3 and model y had
4416 cells this says how many 828 is
that what we 828 828 cells so a massive

11:48 and I think our goal is to extract all of them 600 of them so

Last edited:
I don't know whats in there now... At the end of the Video Cory says that they need to remove all the batteries , all 600 of them....

Here are the Time stamps for the 2 quotes ( transcrips are a bit wonky so better to listen to them
right - the previous couple of videos they were consistently mentioning 800+ cells.
Do we know what the individual cell capacity is?

I didn't see anywhere where they said that. This is what they said in the Q1 slide deck:

It doesn't say anything about a new line. Then the Q2 slide deck says this:

Saying that it is flexible makes me think that they just updated the line to be able to do either.

No they aren't. The front castings have nothing to do with the battery pack.

No, they wouldn't need a different 2170 pack, they would just need an additional step in the line to add a structural load floor to the existing body-in-white.
Must be my bad memory. If I had time to go back through all 5000 posts in this thread plus all the other Austin threads, I could have sworn someone said they could only use structural 2170 on the 4680 line so they’d need a second line (and adding a structural floor to the 2170 pack seems like a lot of extra engineering when having multiple lines were already in the plans so why not just do a straight 2170 one (same as Fremont so 100% of the parts are the same) and keep the 4680 one for giggles. And that they were building a second line and Elon said they were waiting for some parts about 2 weeks before end of Q2.

And as far as the front castings, numerous people have postulated that the attachment points are different with the 4680 structural pack and the 2170 mid car structural members so they couldn’t use them. Seems silly to replace parts with a new one that requires more new other parts instead of making it completely interchangeable.

it remains unknown.
there's been requests, but no postings yet from Austin MYLR recipients regarding the nature of their chassis construction.

it's a simple ask, but apparently no one can take a front wheel off to see the front chassis piece, or use a magnet to test if it's steel or aluminum.
Don’t even need to take a wheel off. This picture is from a while back of a Tesla owned AWD MY supercharging. A passerby snagged the pics. They did not jack up someone else’s car and remove a wheel to take the pics. There is a clear part label that says MY CAST ONE PIECE. Just need to reach your phone behind the front wheels and snap some random pics and see if you find one with this label.

1659582316047.jpeg

So did a quick Google search of Cyber Rodeo 4680. This article popped up. Lots of great analysis and I’m sure we dissected it above.

Quick takeaways. 828 is what was shown at Cyber Rodeo. 74.1kwh is what this pack has and that is 5x 2170 so Tesla has delivered upon their claims.

1659616253872.png

There appears to be extra space for more cells but it would mess up the 4x3 arrangement. To keep design consistent they’d need to be 5x3 which would be 1035 cells and 92.6kwh. Current 2170 pack is 54” wide and the 4x3 arrangement is approx 44. To add the 5th module gets you to 55” with no extra space for electronics or cooling.

I am guessing maybe they need these module arrangements of 3 sets of 69 cells for the voltage they require so they can only add in 207 cell increments. Based on the collector plates. Maybe there is room and design flexibility to add more of these 69 cell groupings. Adding 1 gets you to 80.2kwh, 2 gets 86.4kwh. But it doesn’t work on the electrical side. That is why there is the MY AWD. Trying to get more cells doesn’t work unless you change pack voltage and everything associated with it? Or also structural related?

Still curious on the pack we saw with 2 missing modules, 690 cells, that we assumed was the MY AWD pack. 17% smaller with resulting 16% less range. Those numbers all made sense. It is this 828 cell full pack only giving 279 miles range that throws all those assumptions off. Also note the 5x capacity at 74.1 is just a guess. We think we know 69kwh usable so that would reserve 5kwh for pack health. A lot more than the 3kwh of the 82kwh LR pack.

Another thing to consider, the 5x numbers were based on the 2170 pack at that time, the then LR M3 78kwh total pack. 75kwh usable. Using those numbers, 0.0170 is the per cell density, not 0.0179. Multiplying by 5 and 828 gets you to 70.3kwh which is much closer to the 69kwh we think is usable on the current pack. That is much closer to the 5x prediction. About 98% of expected gain. 0.083 per cell vs 0.085. 4.88x. And even those are guesses since that is using usable kWh instead of total. Lots of flexibility in calculating these things.

We all may be guilty of using battery day numbers from then and applying to current equipment that has seen advances since then.

Just some thoughts to ponder as we learn more about the current 4680 pack.

So did a quick Google search of Cyber Rodeo 4680. This article popped up. Lots of great analysis and I’m sure we dissected it above.

Quick takeaways. 828 is what was shown at Cyber Rodeo. 74.1kwh is what this pack has and that is 5x 2170 so Tesla has delivered upon their claims.

View attachment 836553

There appears to be extra space for more cells but it would mess up the 4x3 arrangement. To keep design consistent they’d need to be 5x3 which would be 1035 cells and 92.6kwh. Current 2170 pack is 54” wide and the 4x3 arrangement is approx 44. To add the 5th module gets you to 55” with no extra space for electronics or cooling.

I am guessing maybe they need these module arrangements of 3 sets of 69 cells for the voltage they require so they can only add in 207 cell increments. Based on the collector plates. Maybe there is room and design flexibility to add more of these 69 cell groupings. Adding 1 gets you to 80.2kwh, 2 gets 86.4kwh. But it doesn’t work on the electrical side. That is why there is the MY AWD. Trying to get more cells doesn’t work unless you change pack voltage and everything associated with it? Or also structural related?

Still curious on the pack we saw with 2 missing modules, 690 cells, that we assumed was the MY AWD pack. 17% smaller with resulting 16% less range. Those numbers all made sense. It is this 828 cell full pack only giving 279 miles range that throws all those assumptions off. Also note the 5x capacity at 74.1 is just a guess. We think we know 69kwh usable so that would reserve 5kwh for pack health. A lot more than the 3kwh of the 82kwh LR pack.

Another thing to consider, the 5x numbers were based on the 2170 pack at that time, the then LR M3 78kwh total pack. 75kwh usable. Using those numbers, 0.0170 is the per cell density, not 0.0179. Multiplying by 5 and 828 gets you to 70.3kwh which is much closer to the 69kwh we think is usable on the current pack. That is much closer to the 5x prediction. About 98% of expected gain. 0.083 per cell vs 0.085. 4.88x. And even those are guesses since that is using usable kWh instead of total. Lots of flexibility in calculating these things.

We all may be guilty of using battery day numbers from then and applying to current equipment that has seen advances since then.

Just some thoughts to ponder as we learn more about the current 4680 pack.
It is interesting to see how your confidence and fact has changed as of late to “we think, and we assumed” guessing where everyone else was several hundred posts ago. Lol

It is interesting to see how your confidence and fact has changed as of late to “we think, and we assumed” guessing where everyone else was several hundred posts ago. Lol
I would put everyone here in that boat. If you can prove to have only stated facts then please do. I was taking information from sources everyone here trusts and basing things on those “facts”. I see my error now. No one can be trusted. Treat everything as fake news.

Spotted Austin Build at Peabody Ma Tesla today, I peeked behind the wheel and saw the casting clear as day. This was a car with a Texas plate, not for sale.

View attachment 837079View attachment 837080
With a VIN at 000194, this is an AWD model MY, not a MYLR.
The question is whether the MYLR out of Austin has the front casting or not (ie built like the Fremont MYLR or not).

Reactions: ZenRockGarden
Zen, you're much more educated on the Austin plant than I but wouldn't Austin need a totally separate assembly line for a 2170 Model Y. Should I take they already do?

Possibly, and Elon has said that he had a 2170 backup plan for Austin, so I figure whatever manufacturing differences are needed, he put them in pace - it's a huge facility, and they're not making a ton of 4680 AWDs which seems to have become more of a test-bed project to iterate on the 4680 pack than a serious product itself. I figure they refine the 4680 problems and pivot directly to CyberTruck and Semi with whatever cell capacity they have, moving to a MYLR 4680 when convenient while pumping out 2170 MYLRs just like Fremont in the meantime to print money.

Spotted Austin Build at Peabody Ma Tesla today, I peeked behind the wheel and saw the casting clear as day. This was a car with a Texas plate, not for sale.

View attachment 837079View attachment 837080
Pics of the casting? So people who get a LR from Austin can see how easy it is to tell and if their car has the front casting?

Possibly, and Elon has said that he had a 2170 backup plan for Austin, so I figure whatever manufacturing differences are needed, he put them in pace - it's a huge facility, and they're not making a ton of 4680 AWDs which seems to have become more of a test-bed project to iterate on the 4680 pack than a serious product itself. I figure they refine the 4680 problems and pivot directly to CyberTruck and Semi with whatever cell capacity they have, moving to a MYLR 4680 when convenient while pumping out 2170 MYLRs just like Fremont in the meantime to print money.
Nice to see someone else maybe agreeing that the 2170 LR MY is a separate line using the Fremont process vs using the 4680 line with a modified 2170 pack to fit in the place of a 4680 structural pack (which essentially makes the 2170 “pack“ structural which they said they won’t do. Seems like a waste of engineering when they have a system in place that churns out 200k+ per year.

Pics of the casting? So people who get a LR from Austin can see how easy it is to tell and if their car has the front casting?

Nice to see someone else maybe agreeing that the 2170 LR MY is a separate line using the Fremont process vs using the 4680 line with a modified 2170 pack to fit in the place of a 4680 structural pack (which essentially makes the 2170 “pack“ structural which they said they won’t do. Seems like a waste of engineering when they have a system in place that churns out 200k+ per year.
the Peabody MY is VIN 000194, an AWD, not LR.
So not an example we can learn from.