Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on what we see in the MYAWD - it has a full size 4680 pack that simply doesn't even reach the range of the existing MYLR.

At best, if they get the 4680 pack better optimized, they will have the option to move the MYLR to the new technology which should save them on manufacturing and assembly costs. I don't see any path right now to a MYXLR without going to yet another completely new pack design with more cells which I don't think Tesla is motivated to do since they sell every MYLR they can make at the existing range and they need the cells for CT and Semi.
No one really knows, beyond the published specifications, what energy densities Tesla is getting out of 4680 batteries they've produced or what the improvement potential is.
No one really knows whether the current 4680 structural packs are software limited or not.
No one really knows anything beyond what's being speculated in the blogs. And That's Tesla's Way.
So anything is possible, however far fetched or conservative in opinion.

Reactions: Yelobird
that's not what I mean. According to the number of cells in the pack as reported by Munro, 70k is too small. So where did the rest of the power go.
Its either dummy cells or less power per cell or heaven forbid a software lock ;)
There's also the stacks of stored structural packs in GF Austin.
So many questions :cool:
I continue to believe the stored 4680 packs at Austin are warehoused in prep for the next production run of MY-AWD.
A quarterly production run would make sense, especially since it's a mostly employee-only order (exceptions were a few reported order conversions early on).

I thought that we have discovered that the front is not a gigacasting, ie. magnet test, etc.
Know that the magnet test isn't a very good test. The recent Munro video shows that there is a steel reinforcement bolted to the front casting that you could get a magnet to stick to:

1662570900149.png

Reactions: JDEWD250 and GOVA
Know that the magnet test isn't a very good test. The recent Munro video shows that there is a steel reinforcement bolted to the front casting that you could get a magnet to stick to:

View attachment 849959
One would have to assume that a different-colored part, that's riveted in place, might not be the place to test.
But that's an assumption.

Still, there's pretty good confidence that the MY_AWD coming off the line (periodically) has the front casting, and the MYLR (coming off more consistently), does NOT have it.

Reactions: KJD
Austin is supposedly cranking out MYLRs - don't know about 4680 AWDs though.
all evidence suggests nothing but MYLR has been coming off the line at Texas.
However, there has been video evidence of stockpiled 4680 structural battery packs; some 320 were counted that were visible.
There are also some volumes of FRONT castings stacked outside the casting section of the building.

So it's likely Texas will be doing a limited production run of MY-AWD models in the near term.
But those models are not available for public purchase, so they're for employees and perhaps some commercial (rental) orders.
My guess is we will see only quarterly runs like this, until after SEMI and CT are launched, and 4680 is truly available in volume.

Reactions: voxel
However, other news disputes the accuracy of it. It would appear most later reports are just parroting what was originally reported rather than bothering to check themselves.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD
However, other news disputes the accuracy of it. It would appear most later reports are just parroting what was originally reported rather than bothering to check themselves.
Tesmanian is such a good source.....:rolleyes:
Really, Berlin needs to get the equipment and delaying that much will be counterproductive, but running it may not be emphasized.
All heavy manufacturing in Europe is going to have a challenging winter.

Texas, however, has seen the pace of development seriously raised. It's extremely busy.
It's being built out both inside the main building, and with a new battery cathode plant under aggressive construction.

Tesmanian is such a good source.....:rolleyes:
Really, Berlin needs to get the equipment and delaying that much will be counterproductive, but running it may not be emphasized.
All heavy manufacturing in Europe is going to have a challenging winter.

Texas, however, has seen the pace of development seriously raised. It's extremely busy.
It's being built out both inside the main building, and with a new battery cathode plant under aggressive construction.
I like Tesmanian, they consistently scoop most of the other sites. Teslarati have only just figured it out.