Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y glass roof delete

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone consider doing this mod? While I realize it might sound crazy to get rid of one of the key features on the Model Y, it does make sense to do this for a few reasons (which are brought up on the video), but ymmv.

IMO, it actually looks decent on the car. Another option would be to use gloss black vinyl to match the rear glass, but not sure if that'll absorb more heat than a color-match (white in this case) vinyl color.

The one good thing about this, it's only vinyl so it's easily removable.

Roof1.jpg

Roof2.jpg

Roof3.jpg

Reactions: zpaul
Where I am it's not hot enough to need this semi-permanent solution. These types of roof shades come with a blackout cover. I rather do this for a few months out of the year than completely block off the roof glass. But that's just me...max here is like 105 for a few days out of the year
1624381308143.jpeg

I had the sun shade on my Model 3 (just on the sunroof) year round, and of course I would always forget that it was there..... but I would notice it when it wasn't as I could feel the sun coming through the glass, even with 20% ceramic tint (I'm tall so my head was inches away from the glass). However, that was a much smaller surface area and it fit perfectly with zero sag issues.

I would totally run a sun shade in the Model Y, but I've yet to see a single sun shade out there that doesn't have some type of sag in the middle of it. Sure there are people who say their sun shade doesn't sag (probably doesn't sag that much), but with the surface area and the construction of the shade, they're all going to sag on the Model Y.

Yaknow, when I first heard about it I thought this would be absolutely ridiculous.. But that actually doesn't look awful? I wonder what it'd be like if they installed that one-directional vinyl found on busses, monorails, etc.. Still get the view while improving head rejection and privacy.

Yaknow, when I first heard about it I thought this would be absolutely ridiculous.. But that actually doesn't look awful? I wonder what it'd be like if they installed that one-directional vinyl found on busses, monorails, etc.. Still get the view while improving head rejection and privacy.
What the heck. Go full bus and have ads on the roof.

Every copy cat roof shade have the same sag problem. The stick on magnets help for now until someone comes up with a new design.

If you don't mind it looking like the interior of a convertible soft top, they could put lateral ribs in the sun shade to add rigidity and keep it from sagging. If they do it right they would be visible to rear seat passengers, but not to the driver :)

Keith

Anyone consider doing this mod? While I realize it might sound crazy to get rid of one of the key features on the Model Y, it does make sense to do this for a few reasons (which are brought up on the video), but ymmv.

IMO, it actually looks decent on the car. Another option would be to use gloss black vinyl to match the rear glass, but not sure if that'll absorb more heat than a color-match (white in this case) vinyl color.

Roof2.jpg
I would consider doing this if I lived in the south west. I added black vinyl wrap to the top section of the hatch on my Volt when I had it... the upper section of the hatch has bumpy pixilated factory "tint" that you can't add regular tint over because it is textured. I added regular tint below that line, and put the vinyl wrap on the outside of the hatch window above that line. It was hard to keep clean though, it seemed to attract dust and dirt.

Keith

Well, I'm 6'4" tall and my head sits up near the roof. Not as close as it would with a headliner up there, but up there. I drive all over CA, and sometimes the inside gets warm, but I can't say it gets HOT. I also drive to Phoenix, and again, it gets warm, but not THAT warm.

I have my AC vents aimed at the ceiling where the air runs more or less around my head and drops down over me. In four Teslas, I've never once felt the need for a sunshade. I feel that the AC handles the heat from the roof quite well, and the roof glass reflects a lot of Infrared back up.

Not everyone needs sunshades. I don't wear sunglasses either. Maybe my internal cooling system runs up to my head quite nicely, but I've no problem with my Tesla keeping me comfortable.

I wonder why it’s taking so long for Tesla to offer their OEM sun shade. Come on Tesla you can do it.

@TomServo if I were to guess, I'd say it's because they haven't found an elegant solution to the sagging problem and don't want to put out an OEM product unless/until that happens. Or perhaps whatever they came up with would be too costly to manufacture and sell at a price that most wouldn't balk at?

I would go w/o the glass roof if it was an option. I've had my 2021 Y for 2 weeks and have already installed a shade. I live in INDIANA so not a hot zone, but the car picked up a lot of heat on sunny days. My wife noticed it immediately. The glass roof to me offers little as a feature. While driving you can't really look up and out as it starts too far back so only people in the rear seat get a benefit. It doesn't open so no sun roof feel. An insulated metal roof would likely increase range by reducing weight and HVAC load.

Roof1.jpg

Roof2.jpg

Roof3.jpg

What's the "life expectancy" of the vinyl roof?

Why to people trying to pad their post count in order to PM or whatever bring up threads that are a year old? Do they not understand that it will bring the thread to the top when they post to it making it obvious that they are posting nonsense just to up their post count?

Keith

• Disagree
Reactions: e645824