Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Going into "Deep" Sleep?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is weird. I've had my Y since February 2021 and haven't had any issues. I've already put 8,000+ miles on it and driven it on a 1,000 mile road rip (each way).

About 2 weeks ago I went on a trip to Nashville and left my Y at home in the garage (plugged in). I couldn't wake my car at all the whole trip. The app would just say "waking up" and continue to spin. I saw a hack that suggested locking and unlocking the doors to give it a nudge... I didn't try that at the time but upon returning home, I did try that an it worked fine.

Ever since then, the car keeps going into this deep sleep. The app won't wake up the car without me toggling the lock button. None of my settings changed. I even did a hard reset.

Currently awaiting the latest software update with car wash mode and Disney+ but the car keeps falling asleep. lol

Any tips?

mine started doing this too a couple week ago. Noticed that if it has sentry mode on this doesn't happen. Makes sense since it would be always on standby mode. Only third party app I'm using is Tessie, but this happens on the Tesla app too. Read somewhere that if you go close to bluetooth range and lock or unlock the car, then it would wake up. But then it's useless if you want to check on the car from away without sentry ode.

I would be helpful if you shared the Y's firmware version.
Whether you're on an iphone or android device?
The Tesla app version on your mobile device. On an Android you should be able to get this in the Advanced section of the App Info.

Mine (a 2020 LR) started doing this maybe 2 weeks ago. Currently on 2021.4.18.2. No idea if it's firmware-related, but it happens fairly frequently now. Lock/unlock workaround... works.

I've seen others talking about this recently as well.

I have the same problem, and it started about 2 weeks ago. Curiously enough, that matches up with the last iOS update to their app. I actually had a service ticket open for this since I thought it was just me. After a few rounds of troubleshooting with a tech, another thread popped up here and I found out it wasn't just me. It most likely it's either the app or something on their end.

Seems to be resolved for me with no app or iOS updates. I logged out of the Stats app and changed my Tesla password. Not sure if that solved it, or if something was fixed by Tesla server-side.

EDIT: spoke too soon, just 30 minutes later, app stuck at “waking up” again. Worked all through yesterday and this morning. Oh well.

Last edited:
Well, glad I'm not alone here! I just quit my Tesla app and reopened but still just "spun" trying to wake up the car. Nothing.

I am an iPhone user if that helps.

My car has 2021.4.18.2 and I've noticed even when I get into the car, the screen is dark and takes several seconds to "wake up". Seems like this is a car thing...not a phone thing.

Reactions: mcsenerd
I've had this problem for about a month now and am running Android. Never had a single problem in the year or so that I was using the app prior to this. As I stated in an earlier post, force-quitting the app and then restarting makes the app connect IMMEDIATELY to the car.

Reactions: ryanjeffords
I've been using the lock/unlock method someone else pointed out earlier. I did not have to do it today. I had to press the mobile connector button twice but maybe I didn't quite get it the first time. I did get an OTA last night

Since you guys are experiencing it as well that confirms it's not just me and is likely software or service based. My June 2021 build is on 2021.4.18.10 and I'm an iOS user on 14.7.1. I'm leaning more towards it's something service based as my 4.18.10 update was at the end of June and I haven't encountered the issue until about a week ago, in line with what many of you guys are experiencing. I'm sure Tesla will identify the issue in their environment and we'll al be able to compulsively check in on our cars easier again. :)