Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Hands On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Skione65 if it is staggered, is it possible to switch to the 20" later? I think i saw elsewhere that they are staggered.

That I don’t know. They are questions that need to be answered and will be as more of these hit the road. I have a Performance Model 3 (P3D+) and it has a special chamfered lip on the hub and will not take 19’s per se unless specifically manufactured to account for the hubbed lip, or adding a spacer.

Ski

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
Thanks OP for great info and photos. As current owner for Mazda CX-5 and user of Ford Edge, I did compare the interior sizes with those 2 cars.

Unfortunately for me, it looks that the Y is even tad smaller than 2014 CX-5 in terms of shoulder and hip room in the rear. I'll probably get one Y and wait for the cybertruck to really get bigger interior size.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverSmith
So I haven't a clue how I was chosen to receive our Model Y today, and I was expecting them to say that there was a mistake when I arrive at the SLC, UT Tesla showroom. We circled around the lot in our 2018 Model 3 and saw no Model Y's at all! We walk in and tell them that we are expecting to pickup our Model Y and tell them our names. They were expecting us and had everything ready to go. Car was in a bay, cleaned and ready for us. We hand them the check, show insurance evidence, sign about 7 papers and we are allowed to start setting up our phone keys and drive away. We were asked to sign a media waiver and have our picture taken with the delivery guy (maybe he was a manager).

Now what is interesting is that we only ordered our car in January, 2020. It was a Midnight Silver Metallic, fully loaded with the exception of the white interior and third row seating. So Performance, Tubertine wheels, black interior, full self driving.

What I have learned in the last 12 hours:
  • There is no HomeLink (our M3 AWD has this included). I think you have to order it for $300 and have it physically installed.
  • There is no hatchback shelf, nor a place that you could add one later.
  • The wheels are different sizes on the front/back (wide ones, so this explains why the upgraded wheels take so much of our range, they aren't only 21", but also taller and wider).
  • The seats are 3.5" taller than the M3 (drivers seat).
  • There is no hidden receiver hitch included, but a spot we will be able to add one later.
  • There is wireless charging for two phones. Not as nice as the after market one I have on my M3, but nice to not have to pay for it as an addon.
  • There is a single USB C port under the charging pad that supplies the power. As well as a standard USB for a USB flash stick for Sentry/Dashcam.
  • The rear seat has 6 levels of recline, they are small increments and give you a decent amount.
  • Reat seats are fully powered for releasing, and has two buttons in the trunk to do it remotely. And even the ones on top of the seats are powered.
  • Middle seat can separate from the drive with a latch behind the middle seat. A post sticks out, which is interesting.
  • Power lift gate is fairly basic, opens from the outside like the M3 does. Closes with a button on the lift gate.
  • Trunk is huge, with two under bins. One is very shallow though, but still useful.
  • Compartments on the sides of the trunk are deep and nice for keeping things from rolling around.
  • Second row seat is the same width as the M3 (51 1/4").
  • There is a significant blue tint to the paint (compared to our M3 of the same color).
  • Panel gaps seem really good, better than our M3.
  • It seems quieter, but then it is a brand new vehicle (compared to our M3).

I will add all of my pictures showing these details. I am happy to add in more photos of anything that doesn't require disassembly.

I have a Model 3, and my wife is getting a Model Y soon.

Important question for me, that you can answer:

What is the overall bumper-bumper length and height of the Y, compared to the Model 3?

We need to know to configure our garage in advance of delivery.

Thanks in advance!
MY Length - 187", Height - 63.9"
M3 Length - 184.8", Height - 56.8"

Dimensions available on
Page 188 in Model Y Owner's Manual: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
Page 186 in Model 3 Owner's Manual: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J
@SilverSmith,

Don’t tell me that thing is Staggered? Looks like 255F/275R. I realize you have the Performance with 21” Uber Turbines. NO ability to rotate.

Ski
The stagger on the performance has been known for some time. It depends on the tires and if they are asymmetrical or not; if they are then they can be rotated. One would assume from the performance m3 19" should and the 20" will fit?

Thanks for the pictures and measurements, @SilverSmith. The Y is a potential replacement for my beloved 2014 Model S P85. The only reason I want to replace it is that the low seating format exacerbates my back pain on longer drives. I understand that the Y has the Model 3 seats on a platform. How does the Y seating format compare to the X, would you say? Our X is comfortable for me because it's more "chair-like" seating vs. "floor-like".
I don't know anything about the Model X seats, never been in one. But the seats in the M3 and MY are very comfortable.

Reactions: ohmman
Thanks for all the info/pics op. How is the handling compared to your three (as far as turns, etc)? Love the way our 3P handles (compared to our S P90DL which felt like a boat compared to the 3). My wife is afraid it will handle more like the S but I think it should be close to the 3. What are your thoughts?
Definitely closer to the M3, but obviously it is bigger. You will be happy with it I think.

@SilverSmith,

Don’t tell me that thing is Staggered? Looks like 255F/275R. I realize you have the Performance with 21” Uber Turbines. NO ability to rotate.

Ski

I think only the performance model with the Uber Turbine wheels comes as a staggered setup, I know the base Gemini wheels are not staggered. Not sure about the Induction yet...

As for staggered and tire rotation... We’ve had our Model X P90D for 4 years and on our 2nd set of tires. Staggered setup and no rotations. As long as you’re in proper alignment, the tires wear really even. The torque and acceleration curve is so smooth on these cars and the AWD/ traction control is super sensitive, it doesn’t cause uneven wear like we expect in ICE cars. Really, unless you’re tearing up a track or only drive the same loop route on a daily basis, always turning the same direction, rotation is truly not an issue. The 20” Continental Cross Contact tires were pretty crappy and we ate them up in 20K miles. Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S tires on it now and they’ve made it 42K miles with a fair amount of tread left. I think the Pirellis are definitely good for another 8K+ miles maybe more (they have a 65K mile tread warranty). Would probably drive them all summer and replace in the fall before crappy weather hits.