Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Hands On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting note for anyone concerned about the functionality of third row seating in the Model Y: I just measured the cargo area in my Model X, and the space behind the 2nd row is exactly the same as the Model Y, including the height from floor to ceiling at the door opening, with the exception of the width between wheel wells which is 1.5" wider in the X. The third row in the X is not huge by any means, but I'm 5'10" and I can sit in it with out being in any danger of hitting my head. This says to me that the Model Y third row will likely be very similar size wise to the X.

Really?!? Why not ask @SilverSmith to walk on the hood to see if it dents, or kick the car a few times to see if the panels are dent resistant?
Better yet ask @SilverSmith to throw a shot put style steel ball at the driver's window...oh...wait...that's for the Cybertruck...my bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really?!? Why not ask @SilverSmith to walk on the hood to see if it dents, or kick the car a few times to see if the panels are dent resistant?
What I would do if I had a Model Y in front of me would be to just lean over and put a bit of my body weight on the trunk cover. If it bends, that means 130lb is the legit limit. No need to destructively test this.

Reactions: MikeBur and liuping
Interesting note for anyone concerned about the functionality of third row seating in the Model Y: I just measured the cargo area in my Model X, and the space behind the 2nd row is exactly the same as the Model Y, including the height from floor to ceiling at the door opening, with the exception of the width between wheel wells which is 1.5" wider in the X. The third row in the X is not huge by any means, but I'm 5'10" and I can sit in it with out being in any danger of hitting my head. This says to me that the Model Y third row will likely be very similar size wise to the X.

This is great information for those who ordered the 7-seat configuration. Thanks!

The third row of the X sucks balls. Go sit in it yourself. My wife is 5’8” and my daughter is 5’10”, thin as a rail, and both have to turn sideways toward center to sit in the third row because there’s not enough leg room for them, they have long legs. I’m 5’8” as well and have a worse time in the third row. All my shortness is in my legs, for lack of a better way to put it. When we’re all seated at a table I’m usually the same height as most of my friends who are 6’4” or so. I have enough leg room in the 3rd row of our X, but have to slouch uncomfortably or tilt my head because the ceiling is too low. ...My son is 6’1” and has the same issue I do back there, plus his legs are long enough so he has to sit sideways or man-spread it.

Funny about Rodgers and Hawk. I’ve seen that before and yeah, I know exactly what’s going on there. That’s how we have to sit in the third row too. Hawk is turned and taking up space past center, sitting over the cupholders. My son sits in the rear the same way Rodgers does, slouched with his legs way out front. If we had the 7 seater with no gap between the 2nd row seats, this just wouldn’t be possible. Also keep in mind that what I posted in the paragraph above accounts for leaving usable leg room for real adults in the 2nd row. I wonder how far the 2nd row seats are pushed forward in that picture, seems quite a bit. Trust me, for short trips here and there, it’s workable and no one cares and friends/ teammates all get to ride in the Tesla, weeee! But take yourself and 5 more full size people on a road trip for 10 hours. You’ll know all about how those seats don’t work.

We did not order the third row for our Model Y. No way is that going to work. I would have ordered the 7 seater if we still had kids in grade school.

Third row on the X is the biggest disappointment about the car. Our X replaced a Ford Explorer. The Explorer had much better and more usable interior space and a real usable third row. We’ve owned for 4 years.... Pretty well know what works and what doesn’t and who fits in the back and who won’t.

The 3rd row in 2020 Model X has been greatly improved. I was skeptical until I sat into one last week. I am 5'9 and my friend was 6'. We sat together not feeling tight at all.

The 2nd row can move in front by 1" or so which gives us a lot more leg room.

The 3rd row in 2020 Model X has been greatly improved. I was skeptical until I sat into one last week. I am 5'9 and my friend was 6'. We sat together not feeling tight at all.

The 2nd row can move in front by 1" or so which gives us a lot more leg room.

How did they improve it? The dimensions of the car have not changed. 2018~2019 pre-Raven X was still just as cramped as our 2016. I have not sat in the rear of the current 2019-2020 Raven model. I want to believe it. If they pulled off some magic to fix the third row, this could be all I need to jump off the fence and trade in my 2016 for a new one.

Not sure what you mean by the 2nd row moving by 1” or so. The 2nd row seats in our 6 seater have a lot of forward and back travel. But we have to strike a balance to try and get people enough leg room, it’s a real challenge.

How did they improve it? The dimensions of the car have not changed. 2018~2019 pre-Raven X was still just as cramped as our 2016. I have not sat in the rear of the current 2019-2020 Raven model. I want to believe it. If they pulled off some magic to fix the third row, this could be all I need to jump off the fence and trade in my 2016 for a new one.

I didn't bring measurement tape so the best unbiased opinion is to really sit in one. The 7-seater definitely feels much more roomy than the old one. I can't pin-point which change helps but I noticed the 2nd row bench seat is less bulky, probably due to stripped away powered seat and ventilation from the old ones.