Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Hands On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So on my trip today, I measured cabin nose and it seems a lot better than our M3.
55-56db @35mph - asphalt
56-57db @ 75mph - concrete
58db @80mph- concrete
59db @85mph- concrete

Taken on my Pixel 3 XL with 'Sound Meter'. Phone sitting on arm rest of console.
When did you get your Model 3? (I ask because I've seen people suggesting that the older ones were noisier.)

So on my trip today, I measured cabin nose and it seems a lot better than our M3.
55-56db @35mph - asphalt
58db @80mph- concrete
59db @85mph- concrete

Taken on my Pixel 3 XL with 'Sound Meter'. Phone sitting on arm rest of console.
Wow, that's quit improvement over early model 3. Bjorn Nyland measured his M3P with 20 inches wheel around 66db at 75 mph in his video. Y only have 58db, count in 5% error, still put it in line with Model X, which is a big improvement.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
55-56db @35mph - asphalt
58db @80mph- concrete
59db @85mph- concrete

Model Y owner on reddit said it was considerably louder (he was comparing Perf Model Y to 2018 RWD Model 3).

That doesn't sound like a helpful comparison, since the RWD has only one motor, and it's not sitting right near the driver.
Oh come on, the front motor doesn’t add significantly to the noise. It’s mainly aero and tires.

But none of these opinions and “data” are useful to address our questions. We need a real, controlled test with vehicles on the same surface, under the same wind conditions, with similarly warn tires, and with the same instrumentation. Anything else is pointless at best, with apologies to the OP.

Oh come on, the front motor doesn’t add significantly to the noise. It’s mainly aero and tires.

But none of these opinions and “data” are useful to address our questions. We need a real, controlled test with vehicles on the same surface, under the same wind conditions, with similarly warn tires, and with the same instrumentation. Anything else is pointless at best, with apologies to the OP.
That much, I can agree with. Data is not the plural of anecdote.

• Funny
Reactions: Y_Wait
As before, the hatchback is curved, seats aren't perfectly perpendicular, so take with a grain of salt.

84" from back of passenger seat (as forward tilt and slide as you can) to the hatchback, straight line back on center of seat.
73" from back of driver seat (as back as possible on slide, fairly up right). This is 3" further back than I need at 6' 4".
92" diagonal from back of passenger seat to opposite corner of trunk.

So, only 4" short of jamming in 4' x 8' plywood diagonally -- dang!

Maybe can drive that cargo sticking out a bit tied via twine with the hatch up, huh?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, SilverSmith!
It appears the frunk no longer has struts? How is the effort for closing the lid? Is it about the same as a stock 3, or softer?
I just went out and opened and closed them side by side (M3 & MY), they are identical (open and close force) with the exception that the MY latches shut just a bit easier.

OOoohhh...one more question...can you confirm that the Model Y comes with a GEN 2 Mobile Connector Bundle and not some random GEN 3 version =P. Also does it come with an SAE J1772 Charging Adapter?

Cause if not, gotta start getting on that wait list! :(

Thanks again!
No idea what the Gen 2 vs 3 is, but the part number is 1509564-00-A.

IMG_20200315_220511.jpg

@SilverSmith Huge congrats from another Model 3 owner / Model Y on order Utahn. One request, can you show how far down the back windows roll? Always been a bit of a bother to me that the model 3 windows didn’t go lower into the door.
They don't lower all the way. Doesn't bother me personally, as I rarely have rear passengers. But I can see how it could be annoying.

IMG_20200315_213746.jpg