Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Hands On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats on Model Y.

How is firmness of ride compared to Model 3?

BTW, I’m not knocking the Model Y but I just have this feeling it’s not going to outsell all other models as predicted. My guess is like 20% of sales will be Y.

OP is a perfect example he ordered in Jan and already go the car. Barely any back log.

The chatter on the Forums is nothing like what it was before Model 3 launch.

I think, for a CUV it’s still to expensive for average folks. What partly made a Model 3 a hit is it’s a “sports car” in reach for many younger folks. And the “first” affordable Tesla. CUV crowd are more practical and small families starting out. The Y is not the first affordable and it’s more than the 3.

No Tax break. Mentally it helped move the Model 3. Even though out of pocket today is the same or cheaper.

We’ll see, I could be wrong.
Agree with you, I bought a 3 because 1. Tesla is awesome and 2 It's fast as f

Reactions: SilverSmith
Congrats on Model Y.

How is firmness of ride compared to Model 3?

BTW, I’m not knocking the Model Y but I just have this feeling it’s not going to outsell all other models as predicted. My guess is like 20% of sales will be Y.

OP is a perfect example he ordered in Jan and already go the car. Barely any back log.

The chatter on the Forums is nothing like what it was before Model 3 launch.

I think, for a CUV it’s still to expensive for average folks. What partly made a Model 3 a hit is it’s a “sports car” in reach for many younger folks. And the “first” affordable Tesla. CUV crowd are more practical and small families starting out. The Y is not the first affordable and it’s more than the 3.

No Tax break. Mentally it helped move the Model 3. Even though out of pocket today is the same or cheaper.

We’ll see, I could be wrong.

Is there any way to listen to CD's? I haven't found a suitable way to listen to books on CD's in my M3
As others mention, you can't play CD's directly. I have ripped them in the past, but now just use Audible streamed through my Android phone. I also have a large collection of audio books in MP3 format that I have ripped in the past, I use an audio book reader on my phone, just have to transfer the mp3's to your phone. Audio books are amazing for road trips! And long commutes.

The lack of hatch cover bothers me to the point where I am not going to get a Y. I haul around a lot of guns for a rifle team and don't need those to be visible.
I understand the hesitation, but IMO it isn't worth not ordering over. We always keep a few throw blankets in the trunk, if you put a black blanket over your cargo, it would be completely invisible with the built in tinting. A bit more ghetto, you could pull the bottom shelves add cargo, put shelves over cargo. But again, just my opinion.

I understand the hesitation, but IMO it isn't worth not ordering over. We always keep a few throw blankets in the trunk, if you put a black blanket over your cargo, it would be completely invisible with the built in tinting. A bit more ghetto, you could pull the bottom shelves add cargo, put shelves over cargo. But again, just my opinion.

There will 100% be an aftermarket solution.

Regarding sales volumes: The Y is a major threat to the Porsche Macan, Audi Q5, and Mercedes GLC. These buyers are not the starting-out tight-budget families who might buy a $30,000 to$35,000 SUV.
Backlog does seem short; likely the most loaded orders will build first and a performance model with FSD is pretty loaded.

But we are talking Toyota RAV 4 / Honda CRV Market (those are the top two).

Buyers of luxury smaller CUV's is not going to account for over 50% of Tesla sales, I hope for Tesla's sake !!
Sure, Y might round up that crowd, not saying it won't. But it won't outsell all Tesla Model's.

But those luxury CUV's don't even get on Radar for top 25 selling vehicles.

Tesla will do great if Y is 20% of their sales, but it's not gonna out sell probably even Model 3.

Y might put a small dent in the larger SUV's market.

Model 3 did good because it competed with Performance Cars like BMW M3. But it also was the first really good EV that was in reach for a wide range of car owners willing to give up all types of cars. If Model Y was before 3, it would have been the Model Y. But now things are different.

COVID-19 isn't helping any either.

So I haven't a clue how I was chosen to receive our Model Y today, and I was expecting them to say that there was a mistake when I arrive at the SLC, UT Tesla showroom. We circled around the lot in our 2018 Model 3 and saw no Model Y's at all! We walk in and tell them that we are expecting to pickup our Model Y and tell them our names. They were expecting us and had everything ready to go. Car was in a bay, cleaned and ready for us. We hand them the check, show insurance evidence, sign about 7 papers and we are allowed to start setting up our phone keys and drive away. We were asked to sign a media waiver and have our picture taken with the delivery guy (maybe he was a manager).

Now what is interesting is that we only ordered our car in January, 2020. It was a Midnight Silver Metallic, fully loaded with the exception of the white interior and third row seating. So Performance, Tubertine wheels, black interior, full self driving.

What I have learned in the last 12 hours:
  • There is no HomeLink (our M3 AWD has this included). I think you have to order it for $300 and have it physically installed.
  • There is no hatchback shelf, nor a place that you could add one later.
  • The wheels are different sizes on the front/back (wide ones, so this explains why the upgraded wheels take so much of our range, they aren't only 21", but also taller and wider).
  • The seats are 3.5" taller than the M3 (drivers seat).
  • There is no hidden receiver hitch included, but a spot we will be able to add one later.
  • There is wireless charging for two phones. Not as nice as the after market one I have on my M3, but nice to not have to pay for it as an addon.
  • There is a single USB C port under the charging pad that supplies the power. As well as a standard USB for a USB flash stick for Sentry/Dashcam.
  • The rear seat has 6 levels of recline, they are small increments and give you a decent amount.
  • Reat seats are fully powered for releasing, and has two buttons in the trunk to do it remotely. And even the ones on top of the seats are powered.
  • Middle seat can separate from the drive with a latch behind the middle seat. A post sticks out, which is interesting.
  • Power lift gate is fairly basic, opens from the outside like the M3 does. Closes with a button on the lift gate.
  • Trunk is huge, with two under bins. One is very shallow though, but still useful.
  • Compartments on the sides of the trunk are deep and nice for keeping things from rolling around.
  • Second row seat is the same width as the M3 (51 1/4").
  • There is a significant blue tint to the paint (compared to our M3 of the same color).
  • Panel gaps seem really good, better than our M3.
  • It seems quieter, but then it is a brand new vehicle (compared to our M3).

I will add all of my pictures showing these details. I am happy to add in more photos of anything that doesn't require disassembly.

index.php
“The seats are 3.5” taller than the Model 3...”. Could you please measure how much higher overall they are from the ground? I am a paraplegic and need to transfer into these seats ( my Model Y was ordered last March!) but I don’t even know if I can physically get in! It depends on overall seat height.
Thanks a million!

“The seats are 3.5” taller than the Model 3...”. Could you please measure how much higher overall they are from the ground? I am a paraplegic and need to transfer into these seats ( my Model Y was ordered last March!) but I don’t even know if I can physically get in! It depends on overall seat height.
Thanks a million!

Check out this video, starting at 11:30:

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric Steve
Thanks a million!
26" to 29" from the ground to the seat was quoted in a different post.