Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Hands On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I have 3 kids and was really hoping the Y would be alittle wider in the back than the 3. I have the 3 now which l love and was thinking about trading up for the Y. I can take delivery of the Y at the end of the month but might not anymore.

Off topic but what’s your setup with three kids and the model 3? What kind of car seats and how do they fit? Expecting our third later in the year which will cause all kinds of car issues!

Those wheels are going to be really bad for curb rash with no lip and a large surface area at the base of each fin.
I was just admiring how uniform my wife and I have gotten the curb rash on our wheels. Looks like it was meant to be that way. The driver's side is a little lighter than the passenger side- I was thinking of taking an angle grinder to them to even them out.

I was just admiring how uniform my wife and I have gotten the curb rash on our wheels. Looks like it was meant to be that way. The driver's side is a little lighter than the passenger side- I was thinking of taking an angle grinder to them to even them out.
Funny you mention this, I was thinking the same thing on our M3 Aero wheels. The aero caps are flawless still, but the wheels are scraped up on all four wheels. Looks horrible. I would probably try starting with a 100 grit sander though, grinder could go badly! If you do it, post the before and after. I will do the same. If anyone knows a source for some glossy enamel paint that might match, let me know.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Funny you mention this, I was thinking the same thing on our M3 Aero wheels. The aero caps are flawless still, but the wheels are scraped up on all four wheels. Looks horrible. I would probably try starting with a 100 grit sander though, grinder could go badly! If you do it, post the before and after. I will do the same. If anyone knows a source for some glossy enamel paint that might match, let me know.

Think wheel bands would help? Wheel Bands (Single Wheel Replacement kit)

On second thought, inertia will probably take over, and instead of getting the tools out, maybe one day I will pull away from the curb and grind along for 100 feet to finish the job.

I saw where somebody was offering special curb rash protectors that rimmed the wheels, presumably with some kind of adhesive. Seemed to me like the things would come off, if not eventually, just by being ground against the curb. Must be 1,000 #/square inch pressure when you have the whole weight of the car and all that horsepower grinding away. But the funny thing was, the lighter color versions looked almost indistinguishable from the curb rash we have been cultivating.

But all this made me go out and take a look at the aero hubcaps, and I remembered seeing a post about how big a difference the aero caps allegedly make in terms of your range- I think I saw that it was about 10% which seemed impossible. I thought, if that's anywhere near true, I wonder if the hubcaps on the passenger side of the car are the mirror images of the ones on the driver's side. As the wheel is turning with the topside of the hubcap rotating back to front, going the speed the car is going before they come down to the ground at a standstill, it would seem like THAT is where the aerodynamic savings would be- when the wheel is cutting into the wind. But no, the hubcaps are the same on both sides. Seems like even if the design allows it to be good and slippery as it is, it could be improved by paying attention to which side of the car it is on and which way the face of the hubcap is cutting into the wind. Just an amateur engineer hunch though.

On second thought, inertia will probably take over, and instead of getting the tools out, maybe one day I will pull away from the curb and grind along for 100 feet to finish the job.

I saw where somebody was offering special curb rash protectors that rimmed the wheels, presumably with some kind of adhesive. Seemed to me like the things would come off, if not eventually, just by being ground against the curb. Must be 1,000 #/square inch pressure when you have the whole weight of the car and all that horsepower grinding away. But the funny thing was, the lighter color versions looked almost indistinguishable from the curb rash we have been cultivating.

But all this made me go out and take a look at the aero hubcaps, and I remembered seeing a post about how big a difference the aero caps allegedly make in terms of your range- I think I saw that it was about 10% which seemed impossible. I thought, if that's anywhere near true, I wonder if the hubcaps on the passenger side of the car are the mirror images of the ones on the driver's side. As the wheel is turning with the topside of the hubcap rotating back to front, going the speed the car is going before they come down to the ground at a standstill, it would seem like THAT is where the aerodynamic savings would be- when the wheel is cutting into the wind. But no, the hubcaps are the same on both sides. Seems like even if the design allows it to be good and slippery as it is, it could be improved by paying attention to which side of the car it is on and which way the face of the hubcap is cutting into the wind. Just an amateur engineer hunch though.
Car and Driver tested the effect of the aero caps on range: ~3% efficiency increase. This is compared to the aero wheels without the covers on.

Pro Tip: You can make the road rash much less visible with a black Sharpie.

Thanks for all of the information, SilverSmith. My main questions relate to cargo capacity and overall size. Measurements and shape indicate the BMW X4 is maybe the closest readily available vehicle in size and shape to the Model Y. If there’s a BMW dealership in your (designated quarantine) area it’d be helpful to see side-by-side photos with an X4, especially both vehicles in profile view, ideally butt to butt. Not sure how BMW sales people will treat you but if we have these photos, those of us with strict cargo requirements can test drive an X4 and make more informed decisions from there. Thanks again for your all you’ve shared.

Thanks for all of the information, SilverSmith. My main questions relate to cargo capacity and overall size. Measurements and shape indicate the BMW X4 is maybe the closest readily available vehicle in size and shape to the Model Y. If there’s a BMW dealership in your (designated quarantine) area it’d be helpful to see side-by-side photos with an X4, especially both vehicles in profile view, ideally butt to butt. Not sure how BMW sales people will treat you but if we have these photos, those of us with strict cargo requirements can test drive an X4 and make more informed decisions from there. Thanks again for your all you’ve shared.

The cargo area behind the second row is almost identical to the Model X. The only difference being 1.5” narrower. With the seats folded, again, very close, only about 6” shorter. The X gains a lot of its additional cargo capacity from larger under storage space and larger frunk.

I've seen 3% noted as the gain. 10% is highly unlikely.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Sorry if I missed it, if asked. I read the Performance had different 21" tires/wheels front and rear. Is that the case? I like to rotate my tires, so I guess I will not be ably on my Y, if so.
That is correct, Model Y Performance front and back wheels/tires have different sizes:
  • Wheel Size: 21X9.5" Front, 21X10.5" Rear
  • Tire Spec: Pirelli P Zero 255/35-21 XL 98W Front, 275/35-21 XL 103W Rear

This has probably already been covered, but man that is one big beautiful mother. Wow. I was really hoping for something smaller, like a somewhat taller 3 with a hatch. I'll have to see it in person. Is it really as big as it looks? I can't imagine Tesla wanting to take on another small SUV project just for me. Maybe that Volvo will fit the bill.

lol, i am confused about the 2 dislikes. I asked is it really that big ? Is that dislikeable ?

Reactions: Mufasa and PagodaY