Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Hands On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol, i am confused about the 2 dislikes. I asked is it really that big ? Is that dislikeable ?

Back on topic. From web search, the Y is 2.2 inches longer, 2.8 inches wider in both track and body, 7.2 inches taller; and 1.1 inches more ground clearance at 6.6 inches. That is a lot bigger, but height is the main thing. Once life is back to (a new) normal, I can't wait to check it out.

I think that could have been a good idea before I jacked them all up. Even the video mentions that they need to be in decent shape to stick. It is obviously a nice product if you know you can't avoid curbs, but I am not the biggest fan of how it looks. On another note, I have seen someone put on a wider tire so the metal isn't protruding so far. Might be an option when you need to replace the tire.

Back on topic. From web search, the Y is 2.2 inches longer, 2.8 inches wider in both track and body, 7.2 inches taller; and 1.1 inches more ground clearance at 6.6 inches. That is a lot bigger, but height is the main thing. Once life is back to (a new) normal, I can't wait to check it out.

for the width, it seems that the interior is the same as the 3. So while its wider somehow with the dimensions, it doesn't seem to translate to the interior. Not sure what my point is. lol

for the width, it seems that the interior is the same as the 3. So while its wider somehow with the dimensions, it doesn't seem to translate to the interior. Not sure what my point is. lol
i get what you're saying. could be as simple as a wider center console, or the new frame casting stuff it could be that they lost an inch somewhere, but you're saying the inside feels no wider. my question would be does it feel more open with the added height. i felt just a little cramped sitting in a 3, coming from my MB e300. i'm sure i could get used to it, but am optimistic that the Y will at least feel more open and airy

i get what you're saying. could be as simple as a wider center console, or the new frame casting stuff it could be that they lost an inch somewhere, but you're saying the inside feels no wider. my question would be does it feel more open with the added height. i felt just a little cramped sitting in a 3, coming from my MB e300. i'm sure i could get used to it, but am optimistic that the Y will at least feel more open and airy

Based on the info provided thus far, it does seem that the Y will feel more open and airy and have more leg room in the back for various reasons. However, the width is the same, so 3 adults in the back is a tight fit and good luck getting 3 booster seats across the back. Its a struggle to do that in my Jeep Grand Cherokee and the back seat width is at least 3" wider even the the total outside width dimensions of the GC and the Y are about the same.

I understand the hesitation, but IMO it isn't worth not ordering over. We always keep a few throw blankets in the trunk, if you put a black blanket over your cargo, it would be completely invisible with the built in tinting. A bit more ghetto, you could pull the bottom shelves add cargo, put shelves over cargo. But again, just my opinion.

Silversmith, thanks for all of the details you've posted so far. I am curious to know the tint level on the front and rear passenger windows as well as the back glass. If you have a chance to stop at a tint shop, they can easily check it with the hand held meters that they have.

Silversmith, thanks for all of the details you've posted so far. I am curious to know the tint level on the front and rear passenger windows as well as the back glass. If you have a chance to stop at a tint shop, they can easily check it with the hand held meters that they have.
I put on 18% on the front windows and it is ever so slightly darker than the rear, nothing you would notice unless looking for it. So the entire back is around 20 to 24% light emission. I don't have a tester, so this is obviously a SWAG.