Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Hands On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Side mirrors have no dimming
Could’ve sworn that was a feature when announced. Disappointed as that’s one of the things I wanted on my dark early morning commute. I have to aim my mirrors down currently to avoid being blinded by all the trucks.

I love how forum members claim Tesla’s are not luxury cars, unless they are.

Let’s pick a lane here.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've been pretty consistent about this personally.

I think it's fair to say that the low-end Teslas are not trying to match the exact features of a conventional luxury car. There's overlap, but they also offer both more and less, depending on what you look for.

Fine leather seating? Not so much. Exceptional acceleration? Sure. Heated steering wheel? Nope. Remote feature control? Yep. Garage door opener? Pay for it if you want it.

I own a Nissan Juke. It's certainly not a luxury car and I wouldn't buy a luxury car just for the luxury. But the Y offers performance and utility, and that's why I'm getting mine.

I passed on the S and X precisely because they are in the luxury category and are priced towards the higher end of that range. A barebones 3 is only $40k, and that's literally the very bottom of the luxury range. I passed on the 3 because I need a hatchback and like to sit higher up. But I couldn't pass on the Y.

That's just my two cents, but I wouldn't worry too much about these historical categories. I just focus on the value proposition.

Based on the info provided thus far, it does seem that the Y will feel more open and airy and have more leg room in the back for various reasons. However, the width is the same, so 3 adults in the back is a tight fit and good luck getting 3 booster seats across the back. Its a struggle to do that in my Jeep Grand Cherokee and the back seat width is at least 3" wider even the the total outside width dimensions of the GC and the Y are about the same.
we are empty next and have one grandchild. so the child seat thing is not a concern. in fact, i specifically did NOT want a 3 row vehicle. i told our daughter i'm not the family taxi. i want THEM to buy a 3 row vehicle and cart her mom and i around.

I passed on the S and X precisely because they are in the luxury category and are priced towards the higher end of that range. A barebones 3 is only $40k, and that's literally the very bottom of the luxury range. I passed on the 3 because I need a hatchback and like to sit higher up. But I couldn't pass on the Y.

I agree exactly. On all of that.

I don't want to spend $50k on a car, either ... but Tesla is the only game in town right now for the Model Y setup. I'd wait for the cheaper model Y next year, but figure I want to give a shot at seeing if I can keep this car 15 years or more. so I'm throwing the AWD in there for max long term flexibility.

I agree exactly. On all of that.

I don't want to spend $50k on a car, either ... but Tesla is the only game in town right now for the Model Y setup. I'd wait for the cheaper model Y next year, but figure I want to give a shot at seeing if I can keep this car 15 years or more. so I'm throwing the AWD in there for max long term flexibility.
AWD wasn't really a matter of choice for me. Besides the traction in winter, the 3/Y in RWD doesn't have any induction motors, so its performance is not great. As for 15 years, I suspect that technology will improve so much in half that time that you'll want to trade it in.

Thanks for the info an photos. What is the measurement from back of second row seats to rear end of the trunk? Wondering how 2 golf club bags would fit in the Y. They require some jigsaw puzzling to get in the 3, but fit pretty easily in the S.
Thanks.

Any additional info on how the frunk opens? Ryan's video seems to make it look like the mechanism is very different. I know modding the frunk on the 3 was a popular thing to get it to auto pop open or fully automatic open close. Looks like none of the model 3 mods would work.

@SilverSmith Seems like the BMW X4 is the closest vehicle in size and shape to the Model Y. If there’s a BMW dealership in your area it’d be helpful to see side-by-side photos with an X4, especially both vehicles in profile view, ideally butt to butt. Not sure how BMW salespeople will treat you but if we had these photos, we could check out an X4 and make more informed decisions from there.

I would be interested in the performance but I don't want the wheels but I still pay the same price if I opt out, wow. If I get it the car has to be lowered. Why don't the just have a wheel option? Does anyone know what the difference in ground clearance will be? I wonder if a wheel swap is an option.