Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Hands On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back on topic. From web search, the Y is 2.2 inches longer, 2.8 inches wider in both track and body, 7.2 inches taller; and 1.1 inches more ground clearance at 6.6 inches. That is a lot bigger, but height is the main thing. Once life is back to (a new) normal, I can't wait to check it out.
Note on ground clearance, I just measured my M3 (AWD) and MY (Perf) and I got mixed results.
  • MY at rear jack point: 6"
  • M3 at rear jack point: 5 3/8"
  • MY in center, beneath front door handle: 6 1/8"
  • M3 in center, beneath front door handle: 5 1/8"
My M3 is 18 months old, so perhaps there is a bit of sag. Both are wearing new tires.

Note on ground clearance, I just measured my M3 (AWD) and MY (Perf) and I got mixed results.
  • MY at rear jack point: 6"
  • M3 at rear jack point: 5 3/8"
  • MY in center, beneath front door handle: 6 1/8"
  • M3 in center, beneath front door handle: 5 1/8
My M3 is 18 months old, so perhaps there is a bit of sag. Both are wearing new tires.

I believe the M3 performance is lowered by 1/2", so the MY performance is also likely 1/2" lowered compared to the long range.

Most ground surfaces aren't too flat and level, which would account for minor variations from published numbers too.

Reactions: ohmman
So I haven't a clue how I was chosen to receive our Model Y today, and I was expecting them to say that there was a mistake when I arrive at the SLC, UT Tesla showroom. We circled around the lot in our 2018 Model 3 and saw no Model Y's at all! We walk in and tell them that we are expecting to pickup our Model Y and tell them our names. They were expecting us and had everything ready to go. Car was in a bay, cleaned and ready for us. We hand them the check, show insurance evidence, sign about 7 papers and we are allowed to start setting up our phone keys and drive away. We were asked to sign a media waiver and have our picture taken with the delivery guy (maybe he was a manager).

Now what is interesting is that we only ordered our car in January, 2020. It was a Midnight Silver Metallic, fully loaded with the exception of the white interior and third row seating. So Performance, Tubertine wheels, black interior, full self driving.

What I have learned in the last 12 hours:
  • There is no HomeLink (our M3 AWD has this included). I think you have to order it for $300 and have it physically installed.
  • There is no hatchback shelf, nor a place that you could add one later.
  • The wheels are different sizes on the front/back (wide ones, so this explains why the upgraded wheels take so much of our range, they aren't only 21", but also taller and wider).
  • The seats are 3.5" taller than the M3 (drivers seat).
  • There is no hidden receiver hitch included, but a spot we will be able to add one later.
  • There is wireless charging for two phones. Not as nice as the after market one I have on my M3, but nice to not have to pay for it as an addon.
  • There is a single USB C port under the charging pad that supplies the power. As well as a standard USB for a USB flash stick for Sentry/Dashcam.
  • The rear seat has 6 levels of recline, they are small increments and give you a decent amount.
  • Reat seats are fully powered for releasing, and has two buttons in the trunk to do it remotely. And even the ones on top of the seats are powered.
  • Middle seat can separate from the drive with a latch behind the middle seat. A post sticks out, which is interesting.
  • Power lift gate is fairly basic, opens from the outside like the M3 does. Closes with a button on the lift gate.
  • Trunk is huge, with two under bins. One is very shallow though, but still useful.
  • Compartments on the sides of the trunk are deep and nice for keeping things from rolling around.
  • Second row seat is the same width as the M3 (51 1/4").
  • There is a significant blue tint to the paint (compared to our M3 of the same color).
  • Panel gaps seem really good, better than our M3.
  • It seems quieter, but then it is a brand new vehicle (compared to our M3).

I will add all of my pictures showing these details. I am happy to add in more photos of anything that doesn't require disassembly.

index.php
Hi - This may sound like a crazy question - I play a concert bass and it fits nicely in my current Prius. I place it on it's side and the neck extends onto the center console. It is 72 inches long and 26 inches across. I place it on it's side, so it is 26 inches high. (at about 4 inches in). This leaves me room for my amp and other stuff. Would this fit into my upcoming Y without laying on it's back? I can't seem to get detailed measurements from Tesla. Thanks!!!

Hi,

first of all, thanks a lot for all the answers you have give us so far.

Here is another question :
how tall is the trunk ?
Can we get measurements behind the seat and by the hatch (max/min) ?

Also what do you see when sitting in the trunk ? My Golden asked me this one.

Thanks SilverSmith

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
hmm that sucks...have you tested it with headlights pointing behind you? Maybe you cant visibly see the lines on the model y version
Haven't been driving too much since the corona virus, but I will be doing a road trip this weekend (300 miles and back). So the items that need me to be driving, we should compile a list so I can test them. But for this one, I am pretty sure I would have noticed on my small trip last weekend, I drove about 40 miles on the freeway at night.

Hi,

first of all, thanks a lot for all the answers you have give us so far.

Here is another question :
how tall is the trunk ?
Can we get measurements behind the seat and by the hatch (max/min) ?

Also what do you see when sitting in the trunk ? My Golden asked me this one.

Thanks SilverSmith
Measurements were listed back a few pages. Post #69 & 82 on page 4 & 5. Oh and your dogs view will be the same as the second row passengers, you know his/her head will be handing over the seat!

I've also found that the higher up you get it's not as impactful. Will have to see if I miss it on the Y.
Disagree. I have a truck that sits much higher than the MY and I still get blinded by all the semis and taller trucks. My 2008 335i had this feature and it’s the number one thing I miss. Especially with so many vehicles having much brighter LED headlights, no auto dimming side mirrors is sad for a vehicle this expensive.