Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Hands On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@SilverSmith, what about this measurement, deck to hatch:

measurement.jpg

Any owners been able to consistently charge their phones on the wireless pad? It worked on the trip back from picking it up, but I've not been able to get it to work since. I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max with an Incipio case and it appears to be just a little thick not allowing it to rest in the notch. The phone can wirelessly charge on multiple other charging pads without issue.

Any issues?

You have received your new Model Y, and have finished drooling. Now what was wrong, and what did Tesla do to correct it. ("Nothing" is a valid response, but please give us honest feedback on any issues, no matter how minor.)

Any updates on the range you’re seeing now that you’ve had it a week or so?

I’m really interested in the real world range of the Y vs. 3.
The range seems very similar to our Model 3 (18mo old, AWD with Aero wheels). I think all the improvements in range were just mitigated by the heavier car. We did a 186 mile drive yesterday and at the destination only had about 15 miles range left. I had cruise set to 80 most of the time and started out with 99% battery life. The temp was between 40 to 46F. Definitely had some hill climbs, but not a big change in elevation overall.

IMG_20200320_170254.jpg

I skimmed through the entire thread but I didn't see a response. How does it handle compared to your 3? We have two 3Ps and my wife is afraid it will feel like the S we used to have. We prefer more of a sporty feeling car. I'm hoping it's more 3 than S.
I typically am in areas, or with people, that I can't test the fast cornering. But what I have done seemed very solid to me and similar to our Model 3 AWD. I haven't driven a Model S, so can't compare to it. This is so subjective that I have been hesitant to comment, but I think anyone would be happy with the handling of the Model Y.

SilverSmith do you have a front licence plate installed?

Could take a side profile picture of the font of the car and put something vertical in front of it,
like a measuring tape, a piece of plywood, a wall, or another car rear bumper?

- The top lip of my Model 3 has been damaged by an other car (I assume a taller pickup truck) and my front license didn't offered any protection.

I would like to localize what part of the front of the Model Y is the most forward and would absorb any choc or get damaged
when parked in the street behind another car.

The range seems very similar to our Model 3 (18mo old, AWD with Aero wheels). I think all the improvements in range were just mitigated by the heavier car. We did a 186 mile drive yesterday and at the destination only had about 15 miles range left. I had cruise set to 80 most of the time and started out with 99% battery life. The temp was between 40 to 46F. Definitely had some hill climbs, but not a big change in elevation overall.

View attachment 524503

Is 200 miles typical for an M3 at 80 MPH at this temp? Pretty far from the 316 rating. Is the delta mostly due to the high speed, temp, or both?

Performance Model Y with upgrade package and 21" wheels as is being described in this thread is rated for 280 miles. Long range with Gemini's is rated for 316

Good point. Is the 80 mile difference between the range of your trip and the rated range typical? Is this due mostly to speed or temp? I'm new to Tesla. Our Pacifica is rated for 33 electric miles, which it can do in the spring, summer and fall. It is closer to 25 in the winter.

With the MY having a heat pump and driving close to the speed limit (55-65), I was hoping the AWD MY with the 19" wheels would yield the full 316 miles in the spring, summer and fall with a 20% to 30% drop in the winter for longer trips. Reasonable when charging to 10% or no?