Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y has auto dimming mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vin 74***

Attachments

• 61641525-AA96-461B-95EA-267369E782D2.jpeg
    61641525-AA96-461B-95EA-267369E782D2.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 305
  • Love
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
WTF. I've been blinded many times since June (some of which I believe were Tesla haters with their high-beams on). I'm getting tired of it, and so is my wife from the passenger seat. I haven't had non-auto-dimming mirrors in almost 15 years, and on cars with lower price points.

I looked at the parts catalog and it lists 2 different types of mirrors and 2 different types of glass. One is "NEC" and one is "EC" in the description. They also list 2 different types of glass with the same NEC/EC convention, which I assume means non-electrochromatic, and electrochromatic. My concern is that the early mirror assemblies are all non-EC, which most likely means the $1K-2K range to retrofit, plus possible reprogramming. I'm starting to regret being an early adopter. Not only the slap in the face 2.5 weeks after my MY purchase did they drop the price $3K, but basic features on a car like auto-dimming mirrors at this price point are being added that should have been there in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trustedpro
Switched my stock non-dimming mirrors to Suma Performance wide-angles. I will never use a stock mirror again.
Do you have before and after views from the mirrors? How distorted is the view? I use my mirrors a lot for backing up and don’t like when it is too fisheye like to the point where it distorts reality, like the cameras do. Really like this idea if it is mild enough to not be noticeable but noticeable enough to significantly increase the field of view (if that makes sense).

From the Tesla Parts Catalog: https://epc.tesla.com/#/login

Model Y - 12 Exterior Fittings - 1209 Exterior Mirrors - Exterior Mirrors

EXT.MIRROR ASSY EC PREM DOM, LH MY - EC, Part No. 1594111-98-A, Restriction (Over the counter (No VIN)
EXT.MIRROR ASSY PREMIUM DOMESTIC, LH MY - NEC, Part No. 1495587-98-E, Restriction (Over the counter (No VIN)
EXT.MIRROR ASSY EC PREM DOM RH MY - EC, Part No. 1594112-98-A, Restriction (Over the counter (No VIN)
EXT.MIRROR ASSY PREMIUM DOMESTIC, RH MY - NEC, Part No. 1495588-98-E, Restriction (Over the counter (No VIN)

Code EC is the Electrochromatic Mirror, Code NEC is for the Non-Electrochromatic mirror.

From an earlier Model 3 posting re: auto dimming mirrors - If you have a 2018 M3 car, then the mirror assembly that you need is LH (left hand) EC (electrochromatic) parts. If you are trying to install the EC mirror on a MY 2020 M3, then as @MP3Mike says, the wiring needed to control the EC mirror, along with the on-screen menu that will enable them probably will not exist.

WTF. I've been blinded many times since June (some of which I believe were Tesla haters with their high-beams on). I'm getting tired of it, and so is my wife from the passenger seat. I haven't had non-auto-dimming mirrors in almost 15 years, and on cars with lower price points.

I looked at the parts catalog and it lists 2 different types of mirrors and 2 different types of glass. One is "NEC" and one is "EC" in the description. They also list 2 different types of glass with the same NEC/EC convention, which I assume means non-electrochromatic, and electrochromatic. My concern is that the early mirror assemblies are all non-EC, which most likely means the $1K-2K range to retrofit, plus possible reprogramming. I'm starting to regret being an early adopter. Not only the slap in the face 2.5 weeks after my MY purchase did they drop the price $3K, but basic features on a car like auto-dimming mirrors at this price point are being added that should have been there in the first place.

I hear that the way Tesla does dimming is based on sunset and sunrise times. This has led to some people complaining it gets way too hard to see cars because it’s not based on a light sensor. So maybe you might be happier without em.

Do you have before and after views from the mirrors? How distorted is the view? I use my mirrors a lot for backing up and don’t like when it is too fisheye like to the point where it distorts reality, like the cameras do. Really like this idea if it is mild enough to not be noticeable but noticeable enough to significantly increase the field of view (if that makes sense).
It’s not a fish eye effect but I will admit it was a bit strange at first sight. Especially on the drivers side.

It took a few drives to get used to it but the field of view is so spectacular, any cons are outweighed.