Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y has auto dimming mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is the one feature I miss on my model 3, and hope I can get it installed on my Y.
Totally agree. Having driven cross country and back this summer mostly at night, the model 3’s self dimming mirrors were amazing. Almost didn’t move to the Y because it lacked them, but my family really needed more space. It drives me nuts though every time I drive at night. Would love it if someone could figure out a way to retrofit.

Reactions: Trustedpro
Picking up a Y soon, and we already have a 3 (2018) which has auto dimming mirrors that my wife doesn’t like because they are too dark at night. Does anyone have both or otherwise compared? She may be one of the only people that doesn’t like them, but I remember when we picked up the 3 there were others complaining of the same thing. Are they better this time around?

What is the best way to not accept if it doesn't have? Don't want to wait for a year as I've already sold my current car.

Well, most of the reasons people choose not to accept is due to some defect, which there most likely will be. Door alignment, paint issues, etc. I had those, and it has been a major pain in the butt to get resolved. Tesla has had my Model Y longer than I had it. I just picked it back up yesterday and the body shop created other issues, so it has to go back again. This time we agreed to wait till Tesla's own body shop is opened at the end of the year so they have full control over the fix.

I went to local SC today and the sales people didn’t even know about auto dimming mirrors for MY (even though there was at least one new one on the lot with the mirrors- I looked at the vin and it was definitely 70k+ but do not remember how high) and when I went back to the service people they said they had no updates of when/if “older” MYs can be retrofitted.

I think it’s probably unsafe to buy a Tesla if you’re going to get stressed over hardware upgrades. They are more like mobile phones than cars, in continuous development terms, there’s plenty of historical evidence across all of the models to show that things have changed continually.

People presumably bought the car knowing it didn’t have auto dimming mirrors, or whatever else has changed now, and paid their money with full knowledge of what they were getting at the time. I presume people didn’t buy the car and get tricked into thinking it had them but didn’t.

I agree it sucks to have bought a car around the same time as changes are announced, but that is the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Reactions: NJEV-Don
Vin 747xx

4B0FD192-1A5E-41E1-B65C-76B258B78E8F.jpeg
A3AED34B-C179-499C-9310-ADA15190DD34.jpeg
D602BFA0-B2F9-49EF-BC03-EE149F4950D9.jpeg

Happy to report got delivery today and it has metal scroll wheel, auto dim mirrors and usb in the glove with the free usb. picked up in burbank.

Also the open door buttons have stickers.. i didnt know about those.

• Love
Reactions: angus[Y]oung