Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

Model Y has no Spare Tire

Watts_Up

Mar 4, 2019
In a galaxy far, far away
How and where to carry a spare tire for the Model Y?

- Is the frunk larger enough (for a deflated tire)?

img_3561-jpeg.457899

- Is the second rear sub-trunk is large enough (like with the Model X on this picture?

teslamodelx_sparewheel_5-jpg.518438

- is the rear sub-trunk deep enough?

img_3570-jpeg.457919

- When removing the carpet, could the rear area large enough to insert a spare horizontally?

y-mgigwvsgu6tvo-kp90ha-jpg.460309

- Or does the only possibility is to keep it directly inside the trunk?

trunk-jpg.503815

Here is the Model Y trunk

model-y-trunk-overview-jpg.521913

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Upvote 0

Watts_Up

Mar 4, 2019
In a galaxy far, far away
Thats why i put like 5 question marks there.
My question still stands.
I’ve read numerous times on this and other (Tesla)forums,
that there are laws somewhere that demands a physical spare wheel in the car,
like comment #7 in this thread.
I’ve yet to see evidence of this claim.
I think the confusion is that in some US states,
it is illegal to sale a used car without a spare tire if originally this car had a spare tire.

Carmakers are skipping spare to slightly increase fuel economy, but also to save cost.
They provide instead “run-flat” tires, or a compressor and sealant kit to temporarily fix a flat tire.

The problem is that a sealant kit won’t help drivers if a tire’s sidewall gets sliced
or if the flat is caused by more extensive damage than a tread puncture.

Last edited:

Chuq

Jan 1, 2015
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
I’ve seen this comment a lot, but I’m yet to see a source for this legal requirement. Can anybody provide source? In Europe this is not a requirement, but Ive heard som U.S. States like Texas have it?????

I can't speak for either of those, but in the case of Australia, two conflicting observations:

- Nissan Leafs sold here had a spare tyre (attached below the rear of the car), but Nissan Leafs imported directly from Japan don't.
- Tesla Model S, X and 3 sold in Australia do not have a spare tyre included.

The Leaf example may have been a source for this kind of rumour, unless it *was* a requirement back then and ceased to be before the Model S started to be sold (in Australia this was 2012 for the Leaf, 2014 for the Model S)..

• Informative
Reactions: ArtK

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC