Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y has no Spare Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How and where to carry a spare tire for the Model Y?

- Is the frunk larger enough (for a deflated tire)?

img_3561-jpeg.457899

- Is the second rear sub-trunk is large enough (like with the Model X on this picture?

teslamodelx_sparewheel_5-jpg.518438

- is the rear sub-trunk deep enough?

img_3570-jpeg.457919

- When removing the carpet, could the rear area large enough to insert a spare horizontally?

y-mgigwvsgu6tvo-kp90ha-jpg.460309

- Or does the only possibility is to keep it directly inside the trunk?

trunk-jpg.503815

Here is the Model Y trunk

model-y-trunk-overview-jpg.521913

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Thats why i put like 5 question marks there.
My question still stands.
I’ve read numerous times on this and other (Tesla)forums,
that there are laws somewhere that demands a physical spare wheel in the car,
like comment #7 in this thread.
I’ve yet to see evidence of this claim.
I think the confusion is that in some US states,
it is illegal to sale a used car without a spare tire if originally this car had a spare tire.

Carmakers are skipping spare to slightly increase fuel economy, but also to save cost.
They provide instead “run-flat” tires, or a compressor and sealant kit to temporarily fix a flat tire.

The problem is that a sealant kit won’t help drivers if a tire’s sidewall gets sliced
or if the flat is caused by more extensive damage than a tread puncture.

Last edited:
I’ve seen this comment a lot, but I’m yet to see a source for this legal requirement. Can anybody provide source? In Europe this is not a requirement, but Ive heard som U.S. States like Texas have it?????

I can't speak for either of those, but in the case of Australia, two conflicting observations:

- Nissan Leafs sold here had a spare tyre (attached below the rear of the car), but Nissan Leafs imported directly from Japan don't.
- Tesla Model S, X and 3 sold in Australia do not have a spare tyre included.

The Leaf example may have been a source for this kind of rumour, unless it *was* a requirement back then and ceased to be before the Model S started to be sold (in Australia this was 2012 for the Leaf, 2014 for the Model S)..

• Informative
Reactions: ArtK