Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y have "cost cutting" of recent Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious, does the Model Y have some of the notable recent cost cutting in the Model 3?

No Frunk Hooks
No auto dimming mirrors
No homelink
No NEMA 14-50 adapter

I wouldn’t call the frank hooks cost cutting, probably just didn’t feel like many people used them after a survey or something.

Homelink hasn’t been installed on vehicles for almost a year now, it’s definitely a cost cut. Same for the NEMA 14-50.

Dimming mirrors? I haven’t driven my wife’s Mode Y at night yet so I can’t speak to that.

To be clear, the rearview mirror is auto-dimming, but not the side views (I assume this is same in 3) -- otherwise, all yes. I've paid the $300 to install homelink -- I don't really mind paying for it though it really should come standard with a car at this price point, though I wish it were an option to choose to have installed with/prior to delivery to avoid the need to setup a separate service appointment for it, seems silly. For what it's worth, the GPS linkage is cool and makes it totally worth it, still impressive every time you drive home and your garage just welcomes you automatically.

Also add to the list: hard plastics on the lower portion of the doors.

I can't find the thread where that was discussed, but if I remember correctly, older Model 3s had soft-touch surfaces on almost the entire door panel. At some point, they switched to soft-touch materials on just the top portion.

There may have been a durability reason to switch, along with cost savings.

The non-dimming side mirrors are my biggest reservations with the Y. Before my Model S I wouldn't have thought twice about them, but they're genuinely really helpful. Whenever I'm in my other car without them at night I realize how big a difference it makes. I'll be pretty sad to lose them.

Also add to the list: hard plastics on the lower portion of the doors.

I can't find the thread where that was discussed, but if I remember correctly, older Model 3s had soft-touch surfaces on almost the entire door panel. At some point, they switched to soft-touch materials on just the top portion.

There may have been a durability reason to switch, along with cost savings.
I personally like the plastic over paint. Seems like there are issues with paint chipping on the lower areas. I saw they added mudflaps and paint protection kit for the Model 3.

I personally like the plastic over paint. Seems like there are issues with paint chipping on the lower areas. I saw they added mudflaps and paint protection kit for the Model 3.

I was actually referring to the interior door panels, not the plastic used on the exterior, which I agree help with the paint chipping (but I’m guessing was also added to make the Model Y appear more “SUV-like”).

Tesla is charged a royalty for every homelink they install.

Financially foolish to keep installing them in every car, when not everyone has a homelink compatible device.

Bag hook in the frunk only cost pennies. Imagine they were deleted for reasons other than costs.
Any owners that find them useful can get them off the internet for very little.

The non-dimming side mirrors are my biggest reservations with the Y. Before my Model S I wouldn't have thought twice about them, but they're genuinely really helpful. Whenever I'm in my other car without them at night I realize how big a difference it makes. I'll be pretty sad to lose them.
I had a 3 with dimming and now the Y without the side dimming mirrors, honestly, due to the angles and stuff "0" issues, not a problem, at least for me and I am sensitive to light at night.

I had a 3 with dimming and now the Y without the side dimming mirrors, honestly, due to the angles and stuff "0" issues, not a problem, at least for me and I am sensitive to light at night.

I have never driven M3 at night but I don't have issue with non-dimming side mirrors for Model Y either. Model Y is taller, thus the side mirror isn't in the direct light path from cars from behind, I haven't experienced issue with lights shinning at my eyes from side mirrors.

Reactions: mac9899
I'm curious, does the Model Y have some of the notable recent cost cutting in the Model 3?

No Frunk Hooks
No auto dimming mirrors
No homelink
No NEMA 14-50 adapter

Yep, but we now also see that the Model 3 is getting the upgrades/additions that the Model Y got:
  • Rear USB ports upgraded to USB-C.
  • One front USB port upgraded to USB-C.
  • Wireless charging pad included.

Reactions: mac9899
Tesla is charged a royalty for every homelink they install.

Financially foolish to keep installing them in every car, when not everyone has a homelink compatible device.

Bag hook in the frunk only cost pennies. Imagine they were deleted for reasons other than costs.
Any owners that find them useful can get them off the internet for very little.

Agreed. Same with the 14-50 adapter. Very few people use them often. I leave mine in the frunk but after 2 years it is still in the plastic wrapper. Pretty sure they are now not included with the X and S.