Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y headlights different between LR and P in UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 739341View attachment 739342I just noticed on the UK configurator that there is a difference in the image for headlights between LR and P. Is this the case? It’s not detailed in the spec. Are there other differences?

As a side note, I think a £10k difference is a big ask in the UK. Anecdotally there seem to be far more LR orders than P. Big difference between the 3 split in LR and P. Perhaps pricing might need to be adjusted or further differentiating features.

Anecdote = fact. UK Model 3 Registrations from DVLA upto 2021 Q2, 46952 cars:
50% LR
21% P
29% SR+

I’m guessing the matrix headlights that the late M3’s have will be the same as the Y’s. (Samsung matrix lights if I remember correctly?) Just a case of writing the software for it. I’m guessing there’s not been a rush by Tesla because it’s a European thing, and not allowed to be used in the US due to their lighting laws.
Still, at least we have the essential car colorizer to keep the USA happy! Lol.
Instead of enabling a system which would actually enhance safety, and should be standard on a 50-60k car.

As the owner of the P: It's certainly not worth the extra money. Unless, as I have stated before, you really like entirely pointless little spoilers. However it is in keeping with the car industry: Mercedes AMG models (not AMG line) and BMW M series (not M sports) cars always offer slightly improved performance but for vastly inflated prices.

I think in general, the none performance models are always the more sensible options to take, you never get bang for your buck with the performance but some people are sad enough (me included) to want the best of the best of the best. So I went for the P.

My bigger issue is why the P (Y) exists at all: The LR is plenty fast enough for everyone and if you really want to pay £10 grand extra for small performance increases then there is no logic at all to buying the heavier, less aerodynamic and therefore slower and less efficient Model Y when the Model 3 performance still exists.
Maybe add a spoiler for £500, and add the acceleration upgrade for £1,500? Job done!

Reactions: Neilio
I’m guessing the matrix headlights that the late M3’s have will be the same as the Y’s. (Samsung matrix lights if I remember correctly?) Just a case of writing the software for it. I’m guessing there’s not been a rush by Tesla because it’s a European thing, and not allowed to be used in the US due to their lighting laws.
Still, at least we have the essential car colorizer to keep the USA happy! Lol.
Instead of enabling a system which would actually enhance safety, and should be standard on a 50-60k car.
Didn't know that about the USA, thanks.

Matrix headlights are brilliant. Its crazy that lots of recently built cars have them, but just aren't switched on yet due to software. I can't quite fathom why they would go to the expense of fitting them in the cars but not following through with having customers being able to use them.

Didn't know that about the USA, thanks.

Matrix headlights are brilliant. Its crazy that lots of recently built cars have them, but just aren't switched on yet due to software. I can't quite fathom why they would go to the expense of fitting them in the cars but not following through with having customers being able to use them.
They have recently changed the law in the US to allow matrix headlights on their roads, so let’s keep our fingers crossed there’s an upcoming software update that enables the matrix operation for everyone. It would be a quick fix to solve the rubbish all on or off nature of the existing auto headlights!