Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, my driver's side headrest starting warping early last month (around 2500 miles) and got progressively worse. I put some headrest covers on it temporarily so I can drive comfortably in the meantime. I scheduled a Tesla service visit for this issue last month and it's been pushed back to mid September due to backordered parts.

Now here's the problem I'm having: Tesla service initially messaged me that this will be covered under warranty. Today, I received a new message with a repair estimate stating that I will owe $180+ for this repair. In addition, the part listed in the estimate is for the Model 3 headrest, which is NOT compatible with the Model Y. Their support team has yet to respond to my inquiry for clarification. I have a feeling that this repair will be significantly more expensive than $180 since the entire seat is one unit on the Model Y.

Do I have any recourse if Tesla decides to backtrack on their initial statement that this will be covered under warranty? This is most definitely a manufacturing defect and I expect it to be covered under warranty. I'm attaching a picture of the headrest as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2078.JPG
    IMG_2078.JPG
    313.8 KB · Views: 636
I noticed that Tesla has switched to adding a prices to repairs and getting you to authorize it in case they decide it's not under warranty. Even for things that are pretty clearly under warranty. I've had a few service calls go through this process, the tech gets onsite and confirms it'll be covered and does the work, I don't get billed. It's nerve wracking though.

I noticed that Tesla has switched to adding a prices to repairs and getting you to authorize it in case they decide it's not under warranty. Even for things that are pretty clearly under warranty. I've had a few service calls go through this process, the tech gets onsite and confirms it'll be covered and does the work, I don't get billed. It's nerve wracking though.
Yes, this is what happened to me with the triangle piece of plastic behind the passenger's side mirror. They sent me an estimate of $127. a couple days before the service. I didn't approve it. When the tech came I told him if it wasn't a warranty item (there were bubbles inside the plastic) then I didn't want it replaced. He took a look and said that it would be covered.

Are they really the same headrests? I was under the impression that M3 headrests were user removable/replaceable while MY headrests were integrated into the chair.
I don't think they are user removable in the Y but someone did post a picture once with the back plastic cover of the seat off and you could see the rails for headrest. I think once you have that cover off you can release the headrest manually.

I don't think they are user removable in the Y but someone did post a picture once with the back plastic cover of the seat off and you could see the rails for headrest. I think once you have that cover off you can release the headrest manually.
The headrest in the Model Y can be raised and lowered. They are not integrated. I have a July 2021 build and have moved the headrest up and down a couple of times. I did that to install a Morfit lumbar support for the passenger seat. The straps have to go under the headrest. It is possible that different builds may have integrated headrests that are not movable.

The headrest in the Model Y can be raised and lowered. They are not integrated. I have a July 2021 build and have moved the headrest up and down a couple of times. I did that to install a Morfit lumbar support for the passenger seat. The straps have to go under the headrest. It is possible that different builds may have integrated headrests that are not movable.
Huh? Would love to see pics of your moveable headrests.

See 69kwh post above. They removed and replaced his headrest. I'll post a photo the next time I need to do anything with the head rest.
Well, to remove the headrest you have to remove the upholstery, which I'm sure the service center is able to do relatively easily. And in order to raise it, wouldn't you have to somehow stretch the upholstery upward? You said you have done this, I was just curious how you were able to accomplish this' since I can't find anyone on line that has. Maybe you should make a video to assist others who'd like to do this.

Well, to remove the headrest you have to remove the upholstery, which I'm sure the service center is able to do relatively easily. And in order to raise it, wouldn't you have to somehow stretch the upholstery upward? You said you have done this, I was just curious how you were able to accomplish this' since I can't find anyone on line that has. Maybe you should make a video to assist others who'd like to do this.
This video shows how to remove the headrest.

So it’s basically what I was trying to say which is that the headrests aren’t easily movable like the ones in the rear. They are designed to be fixed essentially. You can move them to do certain things but they are not adjustable at all.

My service center pulled the whole "we did this as a courtesy this time but it will cost you next time" and blamed hair products. This was hilarious, because I don't use hair products (other than shampoo) and barely have any hair to begin with.....

Hey I have no hair too! I literally don't use anything on my head. No lotion or sunscreen. My headrest is deteriorating also.