Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y heat failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted in another thread as well but wanted to provide update.

Model Y are having numerous reports of heat failure. See videos on YouTube and other thread.
Service centre in Calgary AB has numerous cars in for service awaiting parts which are on back order. Apparently it’s an issue with a temperature humidity sensor as other owners have attested to. According to manager there, since Calgary is a cold weather city, they are dealing with this issue at a higher rate than almost any other city. Expects other cities to start seeing same issue as cold weather sets in.
My VIN is 017xxx
Since I live 8 hours from service centre I was pretty concerned and worried I had to find a way to get the car there and get home taking time away from work etc. and driving long hours in the winter, to drop off and pick up.

However huge kudos to Tesla in Calgary! They towed my car from home to service centre and gave me a rental to use while the car is away. I still will have to go pick up the car in person once it’s fixed but this saves me one trip at least. In cold weather climate this is a safety issue as I can’t defrost my windshield, so the tow is justified.

I knew being an early adopter would lead to some headaches but thankful they’re trying their best to be accommodating. Will miss my EV for a few weeks!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and alexcue
Thanks for the post and I hope you get your heating system sorted.

Data-point:
Bay Area (low humidity) with VIN 017xxx. I used my heater yesterday (manual, fan 2, set to 70, morning outside ambient was 50) and it worked fine.

Apparently it’s an issue with a temperature humidity sensor as other owners have attested to. According to manager there, since Calgary is a cold weather city, they are dealing with this issue at a higher rate than almost any other city. Expects other cities to start seeing same issue as cold weather sets in.
My VIN is 017xxx

Thanks for the post and I hope you get your heating system sorted.

Data-point:
Bay Area (low humidity) with VIN 017xxx. I used my heater yesterday (manual, fan 2, set to 70, morning outside ambient was 50) and it worked fine.

I don't think it has to do with ambient humidity, it's a faulty part. I had an overnight test drive car with the same problem in SoCal--fan stuck on blowing outside air, climate controls (including away modes) totally grayed out. Sales rep was flummoxed.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I received my Model Y in Oct and have enjoyed it very much. My heat stopped working on Saturday, Jan 2. I called roadside assistance and they offered to tow the car that evening to the nearest Service Center (3 hours away). I decided to call today (Monday) to discuss the issue with the service center before I send the car and not have a sense of when it would return. The roadside assistance person was eager to help and had no idea Model Y’s were having a heat problem. Not having heat in a vehicle in Vermont in the winter makes the car undrivable if for no other reason than you might not be able to see out the windshield.

On Sunday, January 3 I tried to preheat the vehicle and it worked. Heat returned. I spoke with Kathy at the Tesla Service Station in Latham, NY today (Monday) and I was impressed with her follow through and analysis. They looked at the vehicle’s downloaded data and determined that the firmware update pushed over the weekend fixed the heat problem, at least that is what we think. We agreed to see what happens... it could be a bad sensor or the firmware could have fixed this. They are trying to figure this out across the fleet but for now, I’m not sending the car in for service. If it needs to be done, then they will come get it and give me a rental as they won’t know how long the car will need to be there. She explained that they are literally making the sensors as fast as they are using them.

Tesla is fully aware of the problem and working on a fix.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I received my Model Y in Oct and have enjoyed it very much. My heat stopped working on Saturday, Jan 2. I called roadside assistance and they offered to tow the car that evening to the nearest Service Center (3 hours away). I decided to call today (Monday) to discu~~~~~~. She explained that they are literally making the sensors as fast as they are using them.

Tesla is fully aware of the problem and working on a fix.
My problem quite similar to yours. Just had a one-time failure to precondition by app though on latest updat [10.2 (2019.40. 50.7] everything has worked ok since tho.

We are in Vermont on a ski trip and now experiencing this issue, but with very unsatisfactory results. Tesla is telling us the problem with our car is related to a recent OTA update. The obvious solution is for them to reverse the update over the air, but they claim they can't do that. So much for the supposedly terrific OTA updates. Not the first time an update has caused problems for us. How about thoroughly testing the software before distributing it please? The only answer I can get out of Tesla is to bring the car one of their service centers, but when I point out they don't have any in the entire state of Vermont all I get is silence. Pretty much impossible (and dangerous too) to try to drive the car when the windshield is frozen due to lack of heat. Last night we were so cold we finally had to give up and leave the car on the side of the road and call for an Uber. This is the last straw with this car and the poor attitude of Tesla Customer Service. We've had enough and are filing a lemon law claim when we get home.