Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y heat pump issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days ago we had -10 F temperatures and even though I had no place to go I wanted to test out my 2022 MYLR to see how much heat it had in those temperatures. I preconditioned in the garage while plugged in and drove around for an hour. Had plenty of heat and discovered if you set the front defrost to the highest setting you start to bake.
While that's good to hear, it's important to note that this issue is not a matter of a 100% failure rate. Some (most?) Tesla heat pumps have worked just fine from day one, even in terribly cold temperatures. But a surprising number don't. And according to the OP, they still fail at a troubling rate, even recent deliveries of recent builds that should have had a solution implemented by now. So unfortunately your experience is irrelevant. (Even for you - failures have occurred after long periods of normal performance.) The only reports that will be helpful will be an extended lack of reports of heat pump failures. Which, due to the nature of the problem, means a winter with virtually no problems reported.

And according to the OP, that ain't happening yet.

Frankly, I don't understand why. Heat pumps aren't that hard to get right. Other manufacturers have been making them for years with no issues. For me personally, I can't consider buying a Y until the reports of these failures stop. I'll see how this winter works out, but it's not off to a great start. If the reports don't stop essentially now, I need to move on. The Ioniq 5 isn't perfect, but it's a pretty compelling offering. And it's been out long enough for real issues to surface. So far none have.

I've been involved in EVs since before Tesla existed. I've been rooting for them for years now. But they are no longer alone at the top.

Last edited:
Have you driven the Y's in temp below -25c over 100km?
My one case is by no means statistically significant, but I drove home from Calgary on the 27th with the car reading -39, after having sat outside cold-soaking for 6 days in temps below -30 pretty much the whole time. No pre-heating since I was only able to charge at 10A/110V while I was parked and that was hardly enough to gain 1% on the pack every 2-3 hours, but I had no heat problems. That was my first drive on v11. The car used an amazing amount of power to create that heat, something around 330Wh/km, and I used about 43% of my battery to travel 95 km, but heat was not a problem. Since then I have had multiple drives in the low -20s, and yesterday drove 30 minutes, had the car parked outside for 5 hours, and drove home again with no issues in temps in the -30 to -25 range.

I know of a few people in town who are having heat issues, mostly model 3s that are a couple of years old, and one guy with a Y that had heat issues until the most recent software update which fixed him. There are another dozen or so of us not having any issues, at least not yet, so there doesn't seem to be a clear indication of what the underlying issue is at least for our little group of owners.

While that's good to hear, it's important to note that this issue is not a matter of a 100% failure rate. Some (most?) Tesla heat pumps have worked just fine from day one, even in terribly cold temperatures. But a surprising number don't. And according to the OP, they still fail at a troubling rate, even recent deliveries of recent builds that should have had a solution implemented by now. So unfortunately your experience is irrelevant. (Even for you - failures have occurred after long periods of normal performance.) The only reports that will be helpful will be an extended lack of reports of heat pump failures. Which, due to the nature of the problem, means a winter with virtually no problems reported.

And according to the OP, that ain't happening yet.

Frankly, I don't understand why. Heat pumps aren't that hard to get right. Other manufacturers have been making them for years with no issues. For me personally, I can't consider buying a Y until the reports of these failures stop. I'll see how this winter works out, but it's not off to a great start. If the reports don't stop essentially now, I need to move on. The Ioniq 5 isn't perfect, but it's a pretty compelling offering. And it's been out long enough for real issues to surface. So far none have.

I've been involved in EVs since before Tesla existed. I've been rooting for them for years now. But they are no longer alone at the top.
To me biggest problem with legacy automakers is their dealer network. Not the easiest people to deal with in best of times, but the new MSRP + "market adjustment" regime is making it really difficult to consider Tesla alternatives especially when despite the long wait times and deteriorating customer service the Tesla order to delivery experience is still substantially superior.

this issue is serious
Tesla seems to think it is 'non-safety related'. Otherwise it would be an official NHTSA recall. Maybe NHSTA agrees - you'd think they would have heard about it by now. (Not sure how Canadian authorities view this.) Methinks some living in cold climates would disagree. Sort of drives home the importance of keeping your car stocked with survival essentials, doesn't it?

Well I just experienced it today on a 2021 model y with 15k miles. I went from Indy to Cincinnati without issues, left the car at 32F for the day, went to the supercharger, and half way back the heater stopped working, Ipulled over for a hard restart and even a power off (clink). Back at home I plugged in, and it was working again. Taking it to service

same thing (4th time now) where heat/ac fails and air is ice cold (in freezing midwest weather)...usually a stop to the side of the road and restart of the car will seem to unfault whatever faulted, but I get the feeling that in the long run (for a barely 4 month old car), a heat pump/ac system replacement will be costly (and have put in a mobile service ticket, but it seems Tesla is bogged down)

This issue along with visual only AP and cruise control making using AP and cruise control irritatingly unusable (got to love those phantom braking events even with just using cruise control)

Tesla needs to bring back radar or their supposed visual only approach to FSD (laughable when AP and cruise control freaks the f'k out from having no depth perception as a semi passes by and it thinks it's going to do a head-on collision) will never happen (and price increase to 12k)

I'm thinking about just selling the car if Tesla service doesn't get on the ticket

same thing (4th time now) where heat/ac fails and air is ice cold (in freezing midwest weather)...usually a stop to the side of the road and restart of the car will seem to unfault whatever faulted, but I get the feeling that in the long run (for a barely 4 month old car), a heat pump/ac system replacement will be costly (and have put in a mobile service ticket, but it seems Tesla is bogged down)

This issue along with visual only AP and cruise control making using AP and cruise control irritatingly unusable (got to love those phantom braking events even with just using cruise control)

Tesla needs to bring back radar or their supposed visual only approach to FSD (laughable when AP and cruise control freaks the f'k out from having no depth perception as a semi passes by and it thinks it's going to do a head-on collision) will never happen (and price increase to 12k)

I'm thinking about just selling the car if Tesla service doesn't get on the ticket
Frustrating AF. No doubt about it.

Related to the whole system, I have yet to see the grill vent closed in any condition. My model 3 doesn’t have a heat Pump and the vent is typically closed unless the conditioning system is running. Any one notice if it’s normal for it to be open ?

I have had the heat pump freeze up in Wyoming. I has happened twice. The conditions that trigger it are ~-20C, highway speeds of ~120 km/h and driving multiple stages(stopping and charging every 100miles). First time I took it in the car was ~1 month old in Dec 2020, and they replaced a valve. The last time I took it in Jan 2022 they could find nothing wrong and told me a upcoming FW update would fix it. The service center gave me little info on the testing they did. I would have like to know if they checked the refrigerant level and the charge level under load. Communication with Tesla tech's is very limited. Based on my battery level post service and HI setting on heat I think they put the system on high, ran it for a while and didn't see a failure; then called it good. That test was on a warm day not under the conditions I puts the system through. A modern heat pump should be able to work at these low temps but probably not as well if the system is in need of maintenance. Could be I have low refrigerant level. I can't find a service manual for the heat pump so I don't know how to check it on my own.

I too had the heat pump fail on my model Y on Christmas morning driving from western Maine to Westborough, MA in an icy snowstorm. The outside temperature was about 30 deg F. Pulled off the road in York, Maine, and called Tesla; they offered a tow to Peabody SC. As I had a car full of family and dog, I opted instead to chip ice off of the windshield and continue on to Westborough. Outside temp increased to 32 deg, so no more icing on the outside of the windshield, but I had to turn on AC to keep the inside of the windshield from fogging. Thank god for seat heaters! Two days later I drove the car to Peabody Service Center where Tesla provided a loaner until they could work on it. A couple of days later I was informed that they had ordered parts (compressor and supermanifold). As of 1/11/21, I'm still waiting on the repair. - Love the car, detest the service.

Today, it did happen to me. MY 249K VIN, 6K miles. -16C outside, driving from +10C garage. Service scheduled for next week. Some posted in another threads that sensors are at fault. We'll see what they say in my case.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
For me personally, I can't consider buying a Y until the reports of these failures stop. I'll see how this winter works out, but it's not off to a great start. If the reports don't stop essentially now, I need to move on. The Ioniq 5 isn't perfect, but it's a pretty compelling offering. And it's been out long enough for real issues to surface. So far none have.
I think you're fine... Philly is well below the 48th parallel. But I wouldn't fault you for going another direction

I think you're fine... Philly is well below the 48th parallel. But I wouldn't fault you for going another direction
If it was a car for local use that might be reasonable. (Though one never knows where one will be going in the future.) For me, this will be a car for road trips, and I have family in Montana. Can't do it with a good conscience.

And, bigger picture, I'm not sure I can trust a company that can allow a serious problem like this to continue for a year, on a system that is based on very mature technology. I'm not one to easily tolerate this level of incompetence on a high-end car. Though I've been totally committed to EVs for decades - sadly even with the recent spike in new EV releases, there doesn't seem to be anyone who's getting it really right. I'm thinking I may have to sit it out another year until someone does get it right. The Hyundai Ioniq 5 is looking like a better choice than a Y at this point, but even it has some issues that give me pause.

This shouldn't be that hard. There were hobbyists doing a better job of it by converting ICE cars 15-20 years ago. (I know. I did my own, and watched that space pretty closely.) Now that EVs are coming from major OEMs they're getting the non-EV stuff wrong. WTF?

The only silver lining for me is that things happen pretty quickly in the EV world.

• Disagree
Reactions: BR666T and GOVA