Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Heat stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bjorn probably doesn't peruse TMC since he's too busy actually driving and testing cars. When I was expecting delivery of my Tesla, I was expected it to be a complete hunk of garbage from reading the threads on TMC.

Problems occur and TMC is a great resource for owners, however, some of the stuff isn't based on reality.

And Bjorn drives all over Norway in the dead of winter to include the arctic circle and camps out over night with little safety net. I hope he has a Plan B?

Reactions: Kutu
My model y has intermittent heat. Preheated from the app, drove an hour with ideal heat. Parked two hours, returned to the car which may have had heat at first but quickly it felt like AC. Froze on the drive home, it's Maine. At home, couldn't heat from the app.

I have an appointment at the SC but it is two states away, Peabody,MA I don't know if covid-19 rules let me go there. $60000 for an unheated car?

SC contacted me in the app today. Said no heat in Maine is an emergency and roadside assistance will haul my car to SC and rent me a loaner . They also said they would do remote diagnostics and perhaps fix it via OTA software update.
With a serial number below 50,000 I know I'm a beta tester, so after the initial frustration I think Tesla is handling it well.

Reactions: st50maint
Created my appointment in December for today to fix the intermittent heat. Got an email last week that the parts had been ordered, manifold and compressor like others.
I sent a message through the app yesterday morning to ask about the shipment of the parts. No response.
I call them today since the app does not say that the parts were shipped. Turns out the parts are on backorder. What were they going to tell me had I shown up at 10am with my car? Terrible/no communication.
But they did tell me after I posed a bunch of questions that they had someone connect to my car last week and do some diagnostics and determined that Tessie, my Y, needed new parts. They will contact me when the parts are in. This is not encouraging.

Tessie joined the family in July 2020. The issues have been very disappointing for such an expensive car, but I LOVE the autopilot on it.

Drove the rental to the SC yesterday. Touchless handoff, they took care of returning the rental they gave me. Heat works great now after replacing two high pressure sensors and one low pressure one.

It was such a relief to get back into the Y after the chevy equinox rental. I got spoiled quickly. Now if I could get it let me schedule charging...

Reactions: UnicornDriver
Got my MY in July 2020. The AC worked great. Heated seats are fantastic and saved me from a terrible Santa trip. 12/22-Drove from Chicago to NE Indiana. Everything worked great. Supercharged in Angola to get back to Chicago and one other location on the way. Towards the end of the return trip heat was light. Carried food from my sister to my mom and food from my mom to my sister.
12/23-drove to Iowa to drop off food from mom and sister to other sister. Supercharged in Davenport Iowa and the heat was minimal. Heated seats were helpful. By Des Moines, tried setting heat to 72 and up to HI with no temp change. Had coat on and extra sweater covering my legs. Arrived shivering. Dropped off food and had some hot tea and got back in to drive home. Heat started working a little, but quit working on the drive home.
12/29- had to drive to Ohare airport to pick up my daughter and heat didn’t do anything. Heated seats helped. The windshield started to fog up and the front defrost worked. So that’s what we did, run the defrost to warm up the car. Turn off after uncomfortably warm and it kept the car warm for 5-10 minutes. The heat was set to 80 and did nothing but blow lukewarm air. Tried auto, manual, fresh air, recirculate, 70, 75, 80 and nothing changed.
I booked the earliest appointment for Jan 26 at Westmont.

its a thing in a certain VIN range. it is 2 sensors, they have to disconnect high voltage and pull apart the super manifold. sensors are back ordered. rangers can’t do it.

1. PT Sensor, High Pressure
Part #: 1510047-00-B

2. PT Sensor, Low Pressure
Part #: 1510048-00-B

good luck!
Those are the parts my service center ordered for me. I go in on Monday to have them installed.

vin 86xxx s/w 48.35.5. 5 degrees fahrenheit outside today, heat stopped working. Changed setting to recirculate and the heat came back on and blew very warm - but the windshield and windows quickly fogged up. Went back to fresh outside air and it blew ice cold again. Next available SC appt 1/22.

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
vin 86xxx s/w 48.35.5. 5 degrees fahrenheit outside today, heat stopped working. Changed setting to recirculate and the heat came back on and blew very warm - but the windshield and windows quickly fogged up. Went back to fresh outside air and it blew ice cold again. Next available SC appt 1/22.
Assume you meant 2/22...? Otherwise, you've missed your appointment.... ;-) Others have reported calling the SC with a no heat condition and they advised to bring it right in as it's a safety issue (no defrost, etc). Might want to try that.

Just dropped mine off at the new Milwaukee service center. Interesting thing.....all the keys/work orders on the counter.....90% of them said "heat not working". I asked about doct89's situation....they said they just changed the part(s) back then BUT the new ones were still the same defective, or soon to be, ones. The ones being installed now are "new" design with the problem supposedly fixed....we hope. Crossing fingers I don't have this problem again.