Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Heat stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked it up today, almost 2 weeks later. On the drive home, the heat went out. Any suggestions on how to escalate the issue?
Contact roadside assistance as they may be able to escalate your No Heat issue to a Tesla engineering team. They may be able to remotely reset the code that is preventing the heat pump from working until a permanent solution can be found.

Heat has failed 3 times in 3 months - when it happens it just blows cold air. Have noticed no error messages in heating menu.

Not sure if relevant, but all 3 times it failed there was someone in passenger seat.

Happened Sunday and set up service appointment for Wed (today). Could not get answer from Tycho Road service center if a loaner would be available, so I cancelled the appointment last night. They did say remote diagnosis is not possible.

Side note: Even when heat is working, I have never felt footwell area was warm enough.

I’m curious if the air conditioning stops working as well. Can someone with a broken heater try putting the HVAC on LO temp, A/C on, recirculate on, and see if the vents blow out colder air?

When our heat failed, the temperature coming out of the vents never changed regardless of the temp setting, and you never heard the compressor turn on.

I’m curious if the air conditioning stops working as well. Can someone with a broken heater try putting the HVAC on LO temp, A/C on, recirculate on, and see if the vents blow out colder air?

When our heat failed, the temperature coming out of the vents never changed regardless of the temp setting, and you never heard the compressor turn on.
Well, those with the failed heat tend to live in colder areas, so of course it will blow cold if the heat doesn't work.... ;-)

Well, those with the failed heat tend to live in colder areas, so of course it will blow cold if the heat doesn't work.... ;-)
Understood.

That is why I suggested turn recirculating air to ON. That way you can use a thermometer or the app to see if the temperature in the cabin is dropping or staying the same. This would work if the car is kept in a garage overnight and the cabin temp was around 60DegF.

Is there a consensus as to whether this has been fixed (the newly designed part is being used in new Ys) such that cars built now will not have this issue? Or is this one of those things that we'll never really know? The sales person at the local Tesla store said he was not even aware of the issue in the first place, so he could not answer whether the issue has been resolved for newly manufactured cars. We're likely going to order a new Y soon - wondering whether we should wait for this to be resolved.

I keep asking my SC the same question. They say they haven't even replaced any HVAC parts (I'm in Ft. Worth)

It's a good question. Taking responsibility in public for "Service Bulletin" resolutions isn't a common practice in the auto trade, and will require sleuthing by enthusiasts. Parts numbers will usually change when updated parts are being installed, adding a letter "b", or"c" after the original part number. I don't think changing suppliers/vendors requires a modified part number, though.

We probably won't have access to repair records, since these are warranty repairs, and the auto manufacturer holds all the cards: they don't have to disclose everything. The alternative is disassembly to check parts numbers. Not many would be willing to do that.

My super manifold was replaced with version “E” and the compressor was replaced with version “I” early this week.

I looked at the super manifold and it appears they have removed the metal strap/corner trim support bracket. I guess it’s not needed anymore?

So far, no issues with heating or cooling since the repairs.

Is there a consensus as to whether this has been fixed (the newly designed part is being used in new Ys) such that cars built now will not have this issue? Or is this one of those things that we'll never really know? The sales person at the local Tesla store said he was not even aware of the issue in the first place, so he could not answer whether the issue has been resolved for newly manufactured cars. We're likely going to order a new Y soon - wondering whether we should wait for this to be resolved.

I think I can definitively say that this has not been resolved. Picked up a brand new Model Y LR on 3/18 which had no working A/C or heat. They’re replacing the supermanifold with a -E manifold part.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Tried multiple resets both flavors... no heat. There’s a message on the hvac screen that says “Climate keeper unavailable due to system fault” app says “failed to turn on climate”.

This morning everything is working again... 🤷
Exactly the same happened to me recently. Picked up my '21 Y Performance 1 month ago. The first two weeks were perfect. Then 3rd week, first thing Monday morning I tried to precondition and got the 'failed to turn on climate' on the app. No heat or A/C for the entire week. Fast forward exactly one week later. Again, Monday morning. Opened up the app and turned on the heat, and it started working again. A/C too! Service appt. for 3/30, but if it keeps working I'll most likely reschedule.

I'm bringing in my Y for a unrelated issue, and it looks like the service center is proactively replacing the sensors. Had the car since December, no issues with heat or AC. Wonder if I should just leave it or have them replace with the new part. They have ordered the "C" revision sensors ahead of my appointment for next week.

PT Sensor, High Pressure
Part #: 1510047-00-C

• Informative
Reactions: Sudsington