Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Heat stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine stopped working this morning, worked great last night, but went to precondition this morning and got an error on the app. Got in the car and its blowing ice cold. I can't even go to a service center due to travel restrictions, nearest one is Massachusetts and I live in New Hampshire and theres a $500 fine for traveling to Mass without quarantining. Fingers crossed a firmware update will fix it but I'm not holding my breath.

Exact same thing happened to me. First indication of a problem was an error on the App. The car was parked in my garage, temp showed 44 F in the app and battery was charged to 90%.
I went for a ride to see if it would start heating up and nothing, cold air blowing from the vents. Did a soft and hard reset and no change. Drove it for almost an hour, some on the highway, some on the streets, no heat at all. Came back with numbed hands and freezing feet.
Now I have to schedule an appointment probably in Peabody, as I'm north of Boston. Car is not drivable in the cold due to lack of defrosting. This shouldn't be happening in ANY car at this price point, not a tesla, not a fiat, not a buick. I bought a tesla, so I like the brand, yada, yada, yada, but I feel this is a big let down on a 50K dollar car.
I bought my car 5 days ago WTH???.

Exact same thing happened to me. First indication of a problem was an error on the App. The car was parked in my garage, temp showed 44 F in the app and battery was charged to 90%.
I went for a ride to see if it would start heating up and nothing, cold air blowing from the vents. Did a soft and hard reset and no change. Drove it for almost an hour, some on the highway, some on the streets, no heat at all. Came back with numbed hands and freezing feet.
Now I have to schedule an appointment probably in Peabody, as I'm north of Boston. Car is not drivable in the cold due to lack of defrosting. This shouldn't be happening in ANY car at this price point, not a tesla, not a fiat, not a buick. I bought a tesla, so I like the brand, yada, yada, yada, but I feel this is a big let down on a 50K dollar car.
I bought my car 5 days ago WTH???.
What firmware are you on?
2020.44.25 has fixed the heat problem on a few cars.
See page 2 of this thread:
Y AC and heat fails

Same problem here. New Y for my wife, picked up 12/12, heat died today, same error message everyone else is seeing... We'll see how Tesla service responds, so far have appt set for 3 weeks out. I knew going in this is part of the Tesla experience (bugs etc), my wife is less forgiving. I think if they still had the 7 day return policy it'd be going back, its cold in New England :)

Same problem here. New Y for my wife, picked up 12/12, heat died today, same error message everyone else is seeing... We'll see how Tesla service responds, so far have appt set for 3 weeks out. I knew going in this is part of the Tesla experience (bugs etc), my wife is less forgiving. I think if they still had the 7 day return policy it'd be going back, its cold in New England :)
I would suggest calling someone.
Either roadside assistance or your nearest service center.
Tell them the problem and if they don't suggest it themselves, ask them to force a software update.
Also, make sure your car is hooked up to Wi-Fi for the download.

I would suggest calling someone.
Either roadside assistance or your nearest service center.
Tell them the problem and if they don't suggest it themselves, ask them to force a software update.
Also, make sure your car is hooked up to Wi-Fi for the download.
I agree completely. You cannot go 3 weeks without a heated car in New England. Roadside service or you SA should be able to help.

Tesla is trying to sell 500K cars this year. I hope they should also add to their service staff. It takes too long to get an appointment and it will get worse as they sell more cars.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I agree completely. You cannot go 3 weeks without a heated car in New England. Roadside service or you SA should be able to help.

Tesla is trying to sell 500K cars this year. I hope they should also add to their service staff. It takes too long to get an appointment and it will get worse as they sell more cars.

I would change this to, "You cannot go 3 weeks without a FRONT DEFROSTER in a cold region." This is a safety concern, and should be addressed ASAP.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I would change this to, "You cannot go 3 weeks without a FRONT DEFROSTER in a cold region." This is a safety concern, and should be addressed ASAP.

Yep agreed, thanks all. Car is at the SC now, they said they think its a faulty sensor and to expect "a week or more". Got a pretty beat old Model S with an 85mph rate limiter on it which = no fun

Yep agreed, thanks all. Car is at the SC now, they said they think its a faulty sensor and to expect "a week or more". Got a pretty beat old Model S with an 85mph rate limiter on it which = no fun
Did the subject of software versions even come up while the service center?
Do you know what version of software your car was on when you left it with them?

my Y is vin 14K+. had the no heat a couple weeks ago with the " bla bla system fault " message. weather wasn't cold enough to matter then, but did a soft reset without a positive result. next day though heat worked. 6F today, car warmed from 17 to 70 in a few minutes prior to departing, stayed warm. noticed the under dash heat is not enough to keep a single occupant warm. turned on dash and under dash both sides to 70, fan at 4. if anything, was too warm.
2020.48.10 btw

Last edited:

I'm overly protective of my cars. I won't leave any car at any service facility if it's just sitting in a back lot, waiting for service. I'd rather keep it on my property, awaiting for whatever parts are needed.

Just sayin',

Update on my model Y.
I took it to the SC in Peabody and they changed the super manifold and the compressor for the A/C after being in the shop for 6 days. The car is working now (picked it up yesterday). Hopefully it will continue to work, we are just shoveling our way out of a snow storm.
Car was less than 500 miles when this happened. It is worrisome to know that they had to change this two big important items for a brand new car.
Time will tell. So far, 50% of the time I owned the car, it has been at the shop ;)