Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y HEPA (Bio Defense Mode) is only available in China?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there an easy way to check on new deliveries to see if it's been added but not shared? I think on the model X it requires pulling out the frunk which is not something most people would likely do.
Not sure what you mean by "not shared".

First of all, you don't have to remove the frunk to see that area. You only have to remove the access panel (see page 13 in ERG):
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Model_Y_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

Second of all, even without removing that panel, there are obvious differences. Here's the old one. You can see clearly only the left part in the picture has holes for air to go in (the other part is sealed and looks different).
There are two vertical lines that go through the section with airflow and no lines on the side that does not.
Model-Y-Front-Trunk.jpg

Tesla Model Y Photo Gallery Shows Huge Trunk & Frunk Cargo Space

Here's the China Model Y. Although I was not able to google a picture that showed if the entire thing is vented all across, there is an obvious change. There are 4 vertical lines and it spans across the whole thing (not just to the left side).
9aec-kherpxy0117069.jpg

特斯拉Model Y与全新Model 3首次亮相成都,来看看有哪些黑科技
In the process of looking, I did find a video of a China Model Y frunk install, but unfortunately it doesn't show the venting situation of the access panel, although it does show how to remove the access panel (at 58 seconds):

One must not assume because it is available overseas it will work its way over here. China is on another level when it comes to air pollution/odors compared to most other places in the world so yes a good option. Many european cars are outfitted differently than north american versions. Here I cannot see the necessity for such an elaborate filter not to mention you will complain when you order the new replacement cartridges that it costs a few hundered every time. Do not forget, the finer the filter the quicker it plugs and the quicker it affects the entire ventilation efficiency. Bio defense, an interesting choice of words that sounds like a must have but honestly not really required. Was not long ago there was no filter, then cabin filter were added, now bio defense mode? It's a car, it lives outdoors, it is not air tight, we open windows and doors. Not saying hepa is not good, on the contrary however in a car I personally think it is overkill. On a vacuum cleaner spewing dust particles all over the place they are a great addition.
You must not be living on the West Coast while the fires are causing smoke so bad that lung damage is a problem.

Reactions: dyau
Was not long ago there was no filter, then cabin filter were added, now bio defense mode? It's a car, it lives outdoors, it is not air tight, we open windows and doors.
Note the whole "bioweapon defense" mode as modeled after hospitals, which rely on negative pressure to keep harmful viruses from escaping the room, even when you open the door. It does not rely on being 100% air tight all the time. The car version basically the flip version: basically with the fan running at full speed, the inside of the car has a positive pressure. So any outside air has a very hard time trying to get into any cracks. And when you open the door window, the pressure pushes air outward, preventing it from entering the cabin.

Also note we aren't talking about preventing toxins that will kill you even with a single molecule (that is when airtightness may be required). The goal is simply to filter the air enough that the air is safe enough to breath as the pollutants are diluted enough that it's proportion is relatively low. This applies to viruses also. When they are diluted with enough air, there's not enough of them to infect you.

This will definitely be on my upgrade list as well. Bummed it didn't show up by the time I picked up the vehicle. Initial impression is that the MY factory filter has a better filtration than your average car, but still a bit difference compared to the MS100D before I switched to the Y.

Only time will tell... driving behind big trucks, nearby cow farms, or even, the annual wildfires here in California... made the HEPA on my Model S one of the defining features IMO.

Reactions: EchoDelta
One must not assume because it is available overseas it will work its way over here. China is on another level when it comes to air pollution/odors compared to most other places in the world so yes a good option. Many european cars are outfitted differently than north american versions. Here I cannot see the necessity for such an elaborate filter not to mention you will complain when you order the new replacement cartridges that it costs a few hundered every time. Do not forget, the finer the filter the quicker it plugs and the quicker it affects the entire ventilation efficiency. Bio defense, an interesting choice of words that sounds like a must have but honestly not really required. Was not long ago there was no filter, then cabin filter were added, now bio defense mode? It's a car, it lives outdoors, it is not air tight, we open windows and doors. Not saying hepa is not good, on the contrary however in a car I personally think it is overkill. On a vacuum cleaner spewing dust particles all over the place they are a great addition.
Yup. I lived In Shanghai for 3 years. Everything covered in coal soot and yellow dirt.

I convinced my manager to let me work in the computer room because it was the only place with filtered air

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I ordered the EVtuning.com HEPA filters based on my research. They do not do as well as my previous Model X bioweapon defense with odors. The cabin air is clean below 10 PM 2.5. It‘s probably as good as wearing an N95 in your car. Fortunately, no wildfires here in Northern California to test. Fingers crossed I won’t have to test for a long time to come.