Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Hip Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just checked out the interior dimensions of Model Y from the owner's manual. One measurement caught my eye (page 188 at https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf)

Hip Room Front 53.8 in
Rear 50.6

Compare that with Model 3:

Hip Room Front 53.4
Rear 52.4

Note that Y is a whopping 1.8 inches narrower than 3 in the back seats. If this is not a typo, it's a big letdown for me. I was hoping that the second row would be a bit roomier than 3 width-wise. Most likely they pushed the second row further back, thus its longer leg room but narrower width. Model 3 is already kind of cramp for 3 in the back, I can't imagine how tight it is for Y.

• Informative
Reactions: cdub
It's possible that the 7-seat variant will have a higher second-row hip measurement since those seats will be further forward. But practically speaking the overall interior width is the same as the 3. The distance between rear door armrests is the same between the cars.

Model Y - Hip Room
Front 53.8 in - 1366.52 mm
Rear_ 50.6 in - 1285.24 mm

Model 3 - Hip Room
Front 53.4 in - 1356.36 mm
Rear_ 52.4 in - 1330.96 mm
Good catch!

Well, for people with bay needing to use boosters seats, could they still install tree seats?
Otherwise, the 7 seats will be a preferable choice.

Also, if you have tree adult size passengers at the rear, this will be certainly a little bit less comfortable.

So the difference is 1.8 in 46 mm or 0.9 in or 23 mm on each side,

Note: A possible explanation is that the Model 3 and the Model Y use the same chassis (I mean the frame around the battery)
and have the same wheelbase, but the size of the wheelhouse for the Model Y have been increase to allow the use of larger tires.

Last edited:
This is sad and now probably won’t trade in my model 3 for the y at the end of the month. I really wanted to try the back to be wider. A letdown in my opinion. I have 3 kids and this is what I needed. Probably time to love my model 3 even more. Also no homelink which is another turnoff.