Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y hit and run while parked - total loss or reparable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I just have to go through the insurance process on this, but still hoping to get some feedback as I don't have any idea what to look for to determine how damaged my car is, and I'm on pins and needles waiting on the process to play out. It's a 2022 long range Y, just had it since December. It was parked, and was hit by drunk driver almost four weeks ago. Initial appraisal - by my insurance company's appraiser - was only $13,500 in damage and repair time of five weeks. But, now that's it's finally getting a look by a Tesla certified repair shop, they've said that they've tallied $28,000 in damages before they even do the tear down. They are expecting to find more damage once that happens. They also said I'm looking at at least 4-6 months in repair time at least.

I wish I had taken more/better pictures, these are the only two I've got. Any guesses as to whether it will be a total loss? At this point, I'm hoping for one but since the car is so valuable, I'm not sure if it's a reasonable hope.

Attachments

• IMG_2225.jpg
    IMG_2225.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_2224.jpg
    IMG_2224.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 567
Reactions: PlaidSpeed
@Ally17 Best will be to get totaled.

Otherwise, can you survive without a car for AT LEAST 6 to 9 months ?

Don't ask me how I know how long it takes to get a car to be repaired...​
- Body shop are often booked for 2 to 3 months...​
- Getting a new side panel and other parts can take months...​
- All the side quarter, from the bottom of the rear door to the roof. needs to be cut...​
- The roof needs to be removed and often replaced as it might crack when removing it...​
- All the rear back panel wall need to be replaced...​

I imagine that you may have a 30 days rental coverage?
Since your car is not even drivable, unless you have a second car,
start finding a new or used car ASAP, that the best advice I could give you.

Last edited:
Suspension is hardly the problem as it's battery and electrics that is the big issue. The rear casting makes replacing the whole rear end possible. But if that battery is damaged, it's done.
I could be wrong but I think it's actually the opposite. The rear casting is all part of the unibody and would be nearly impossible to replace as it's welded/riveted to the entire structure of the vehicle. In fact, even slight damage to it that isn't repairable would likely total an entire car. Short of cutting the entire back of the car off and somehow welding the entire structure back, which no insurance company will ever allow, the megacast is non-replaceable. You can see behind Munroe after they cut the car in half how integrated it is:

1651027924032.png

lol at your insurer's appraisal. Just replacing a single rear quarter panel is like 10k ish.

I concur with the certified shop, it's gonna be way over 30k once they get into the electronics/battery.
Yeah I was surprised by that initial estimate, but I naively assumed that maybe the damage wasn't as bad as it looked. This more recent assessment from the Tesla repair shop is more in line with what I was expecting.

@Ally17 Best will be to get totaled.

Otherwise, can you survive without a car for AT LEAST 6 to 9 months ?

Don't ask me how I know how long it takes to get a car to be repaired...​
- Body shop are often booked for 2 to 3 months...​
- Getting a new side panel and other parts can take months...​
- All the side quarter, from the bottom of the rear door to the roof. needs to be cut...​
- The roof needs to be removed and often replaced as it might crack when removing it...​
- All the rear back panel wall need to be replaced...​

I imagine that you may have a 30 days rental coverage?
Since your car is not even drivable, unless you have a second car,
start finding a new or used car ASAP, that the best advice I could give you.
Yes, at this point, I'm really hoping it will be totaled. When I thought it was a relatively minor repair, even if it took longer than the estimated five weeks (which I was assuming it would), I was happy to wait out the repair. But now that it's looking like a much more long and drawn out ordeal, I'm hoping this one will be totaled and I can just start with a clean slate. The problem is that the assessed value of the car is ridiculously high (more than $10k above what I paid for it just five months ago), so for it to be declared a total loss the cost of repair will have to be pretty much astronomical.

I'm lucky - my insurance will cover the cost of rental for the entire time that the car is being repaired. Which, I would think, would be an incentive for themn to declare it a total loss, as the cost of paying Enterprise for my rental for more than six months will be in the thousands of dollars.

Don't know if the insurance company will total it or not. But what I can say is that the $13.5 K estimate is pure fantasy. A simple rear quarter panel replacement, with no other damage, cost me $8000.
Really sorry that you have to go through such a frustrating experience. The fact that it was a drunk driver makes it all the more infuriating.

Make sure YOUR insurance is involved. They will help fight for you to get lost value or get it totaled.

Keep in mind the insurance company can sell it at salvage to cover part of their loss. And like cars, parts are going for high prices too.

Reactions: Catbiscuits
I could be wrong but I think it's actually the opposite. The rear casting is all part of the unibody and would be nearly impossible to replace as it's welded/riveted to the entire structure of the vehicle. In fact, even slight damage to it that isn't repairable would likely total an entire car. Short of cutting the entire back of the car off and somehow welding the entire structure back, which no insurance company will ever allow, the megacast is non-replaceable. You can see behind Munroe after they cut the car in half how integrated it is:

View attachment 797967
Nah, the casting is not part of a unibody. That is kind of the point behind the battery structure and castings. Unibody construction means the body serves as the main structure consisting of the frame, carrying the weight, suspension points etc etc. Regarding the cost to replace a casting, yea concur it would be expensive considering how its assembled with the the two sides that make up the left and right halves of the body assembled like a clam shell with the battery structure and castings in the center.