Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y hit and run while parked - total loss or reparable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got word yesterday - the car will be a total loss. But, only because they found some damage to the battery when they opened it up (a second time). It had a scratch/gauge on it that likely happened after the accident, either while it was being towed from the accident scene, or while it was being looked at in the initial appraisal process by my insurance company (prior to it going to the Tesla certified shop). If they hadn't found that damage, I think they would have decided it was repairable. So, for those in the future who may be looking at the thread to get a sense for what constitutes a total loss for a brand new MY. . . . it takes a heck of a lot of damage to reach that threshhold.

Just got word yesterday - the car will be a total loss. But, only because they found some damage to the battery when they opened it up (a second time). It had a scratch/gauge on it that likely happened after the accident, either while it was being towed from the accident scene, or while it was being looked at in the initial appraisal process by my insurance company (prior to it going to the Tesla certified shop). If they hadn't found that damage, I think they would have decided it was repairable. So, for those in the future who may be looking at the thread to get a sense for what constitutes a total loss for a brand new MY. . . . it takes a heck of a lot of damage to reach that threshhold.
Congrats much better outcome. I would say that I learned to scratch/dent the battery case if it’s close. JK

Reactions: Ally17
I know I just have to go through the insurance process on this, but still hoping to get some feedback as I don't have any idea what to look for to determine how damaged my car is, and I'm on pins and needles waiting on the process to play out. It's a 2022 long range Y, just had it since December. It was parked, and was hit by drunk driver almost four weeks ago. Initial appraisal - by my insurance company's appraiser - was only $13,500 in damage and repair time of five weeks. But, now that's it's finally getting a look by a Tesla certified repair shop, they've said that they've tallied $28,000 in damages before they even do the tear down. They are expecting to find more damage once that happens. They also said I'm looking at at least 4-6 months in repair time at least.

I wish I had taken more/better pictures, these are the only two I've got. Any guesses as to whether it will be a total loss? At this point, I'm hoping for one but since the car is so valuable, I'm not sure if it's a reasonable hope.
I'm really sorry to see this.
Thankfully you weren't in the car when it happened.

How much did the insurance company pay out?