Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y hitch (Draw-Tite)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone installed the hitch from Draw-Tite model 76430 which was designed exclusively for the MY?
It's quite a bit cheaper than the Torklift and having had Draw-Tite hitches in the past, they seem fine for my bike toting needs.

Was wondering if their design allows the use of the cover plate when the hitch isn't being used.

I would triple check. I went to DrawTite's website and they don't list it when you look by car

If it works that's great though, do report back!

Reactions: Exelion
Take a look at the "Applications" tab. It clearly says 2021 Tesla Y and estimates 120 minute install.

Take a look at the "Applications" tab. It clearly says 2021 Tesla Y and estimates 120 minute install.
Interesting, they should fix their site since when you look by car it tells you there's nothing. Good to know!

I've finally installed this.
It's a hitch and it hides behind the access plate. I'm only going to use it to tow one bike.
One thing most people don't know is that this one replaces the current bumper beam with a much heavier beam.
This will save a little bit of weight.
Since it uses the same mounts, the impact force will be distributed the same but it won't have that little give of the curved and lighter bumper beam.
The bumper beam that came with the car seemed pretty light and I'm not really sure it'll do anything in a crash tbh.

The install is pretty straightforward. I watched iTesla's video and it's a pretty good one. I've watched several videos and it gives a good idea of what needs to be done although the screw locations can be slightly different even within the same model year. If you're not handy and careful I'd suggest paying someone to do the install. Taking out the tail lights was the scariest because it doesn't really come out that easy and if you're not careful I can see it getting damaged very easily.
I've noticed that a lot of the screws weren't really tight or tight enough and I found a few missing grommets in the wheel well. Not great QC.
Overall the install went smoothly but I haven't had a chance to mount the bike rack yet. I think this hitch from draw-tite is a viable option which doesn't cost a lot. You just have to know that this replaces the bumper beam while the ecohitch is an attachment to the bumper beam however both is hidden behind the access panel. One thing to note is that, since the Draw-Tite replaces the bumper beam, you will lose that tow hook. The hitch itself has two eyelets so I guess you can use that which would be fine with me.

I need to figure out a slick way of making the access panel easier to open and close. I saw a video where one guy cut a few tabs. That may be an option but I'd prefer to buy one that's design for this application is possible, Leaving it open wouldn't be that big of a deal either.

Hope this info help give others more options for their model Y towing needs.

Thanks for the review On your install experience. I was going to say it’s cheaper to buy the OEM hitch since the price includes install but saw you installed in your own so that does save a ton.

I have the oem hitch (ordered with my car) and plan to use it for the first time in May when motorcycle track season starts in New England. 🙂

What do you use to remove the panel that covers the tow hitch? I tried a flat head screwdriver, stopped as soon as the plastic started deforming.

This and the wheel caps, would like to know how best to remove both.

What do you use to remove the panel that covers the tow hitch? I tried a flat head screwdriver, stopped as soon as the plastic started deforming.

This and the wheel caps, would like to know how best to remove both.
You can order pry tools from various places - I got mine from Living Tesla. I removed it once and removed most of the clips (there is a YouTube video on how to do this - also Living Tesla, I think). Don't need anything to pop it off now.

I recently removed my aero covers simply by grabbing one around the 'vanes' and pulling it out slightly, then moving to the next. It will probably pop off after doing that 2 or 3 times around the circumference.

You can order pry tools from various places - I got mine from Living Tesla. I removed it once and removed most of the clips (there is a YouTube video on how to do this - also Living Tesla, I think). Don't need anything to pop it off now.

I recently removed my aero covers simply by grabbing one around the 'vanes' and pulling it out slightly, then moving to the next. It will probably pop off after doing that 2 or 3 times around the circumference.

Thanks! Kinda embarrassing though I spend $60k to then clip off parts to make them easier to use.

Regarding the "aero covers" - are you referring to wheel covers? I have the Model Y Long Range with 20" wheels. I'm referring to the small wheel cap with the Tesla logo on it.

Thanks! Kinda embarrassing though I spend $60k to then clip off parts to make them easier to use.

Regarding the "aero covers" - are you referring to wheel covers? I have the Model Y Long Range with 20" wheels. I'm referring to the small wheel cap with the Tesla logo on it.
Ah I thought you meant the Gemini wheel covers. I’d use a flathead screwdriver covered with a rag. That’s what I used to remove a wheel cap on my naked Geminis.

I've finally installed this.
It's a hitch and it hides behind the access plate. I'm only going to use it to tow one bike.
One thing most people don't know is that this one replaces the current bumper beam with a much heavier beam.
This will save a little bit of weight.
Since it uses the same mounts, the impact force will be distributed the same but it won't have that little give of the curved and lighter bumper beam.
The bumper beam that came with the car seemed pretty light and I'm not really sure it'll do anything in a crash tbh.

The install is pretty straightforward. I watched iTesla's video and it's a pretty good one. I've watched several videos and it gives a good idea of what needs to be done although the screw locations can be slightly different even within the same model year. If you're not handy and careful I'd suggest paying someone to do the install. Taking out the tail lights was the scariest because it doesn't really come out that easy and if you're not careful I can see it getting damaged very easily.
I've noticed that a lot of the screws weren't really tight or tight enough and I found a few missing grommets in the wheel well. Not great QC.
Overall the install went smoothly but I haven't had a chance to mount the bike rack yet. I think this hitch from draw-tite is a viable option which doesn't cost a lot. You just have to know that this replaces the bumper beam while the ecohitch is an attachment to the bumper beam however both is hidden behind the access panel. One thing to note is that, since the Draw-Tite replaces the bumper beam, you will lose that tow hook. The hitch itself has two eyelets so I guess you can use that which would be fine with me.

I need to figure out a slick way of making the access panel easier to open and close. I saw a video where one guy cut a few tabs. That may be an option but I'd prefer to buy one that's design for this application is possible, Leaving it open wouldn't be that big of a deal either.

Hope this info help give others more options for their model Y towing needs.
I'm about to order the draw-tite hitch from etrailer also. I was also curious if others have used it. I've had other draw-tite hitches and they worked fine. Thanks for the video recommendations, I'll be checking those out.

What wiring harness did you go with? I see the Tekonsha modulite is most commonly used. I was going to get it from a different website since it's much less. I read some reviews on it and some people had issues with it working intermittently but haven't heard any complaints from Tesla owners so I wonder if the issues are specific to certain cars, or user error.

I have the 20" inductions also. To remove the lug nut covers you need to slide something behind those little slots and pull out. There's a diagram in the owner's manual. The covers are held in place with some plastic tabs and a circular spring. I've been using a hex wrench; slip the short end into the slot, and use a pair of pliers to pull on the longer end. Three of mine came off relatively easily. One of them didn't and I snapped the plastic tabs off of it, but I was able to gorilla glue it back on.

1620070220276.png

I'm about to order the draw-tite hitch from etrailer also. I was also curious if others have used it. I've had other draw-tite hitches and they worked fine. Thanks for the video recommendations, I'll be checking those out.

What wiring harness did you go with? I see the Tekonsha modulite is most commonly used. I was going to get it from a different website since it's much less. I read some reviews on it and some people had issues with it working intermittently but haven't heard any complaints from Tesla owners so I wonder if the issues are specific to certain cars, or user error.
I didn't add the wiring harness because my intent was only to tow a bike around.