Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Hitch Receiver: Rise Limit Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
I have been having a discussion with a friend who owns a Model Y. He pointed out that there is a 0.75" rise limit with the stock receiver, which I confirmed here:

The Model Y hitch receiver supports a ball mount with a length of up to 8.5” (22 cm) and a raise of up to 0.75” (2 cm). Please note that ball mounts that do not meet these requirements cannot be used.

I know the Model X had this same limitation, but it was a limitation of the removable Bosal receiver, which could bend out of true when loaded with any measurable rise. That was partly because it goosenecked out from below the bumper, and partly because it was a shaft and socket held in place with a pin and a few bearings. But why does this limit still exist on the Model Y? It appears to be a fully welded receiver without removable parts, and it seems odd that this restriction still exists.

My friend suggested a reason for this: Tesla just copied over the towing requirements from the Model X. Considering the odd limit (0.75"), I almost believe that. If I owned a Model Y, I'd probably just drop the bumper to check out the mount points and the way the receiver is built, but I don't, and my friend lives a few states away. He'd also probably kill me if I tried to drop the bumper on his Y.

I'm open to any thoughts on this, especially those of you who have towed with it. Are you just lucking out with trailers that don't require a ball rise?

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
I have been having a discussion with a friend who owns a Model Y. He pointed out that there is a 0.75" rise limit with the stock receiver, which I confirmed here:

I know the Model X had this same limitation, but it was a limitation of the removable Bosal receiver, which could bend out of true when loaded with any measurable rise. That was partly because it goosenecked out from below the bumper, and partly because it was a shaft and socket held in place with a pin and a few bearings. But why does this limit still exist on the Model Y? It appears to be a fully welded receiver without removable parts, and it seems odd that this restriction still exists.

My friend suggested a reason for this: Tesla just copied over the towing requirements from the Model X. Considering the odd limit (0.75"), I almost believe that. If I owned a Model Y, I'd probably just drop the bumper to check out the mount points and the way the receiver is built, but I don't, and my friend lives a few states away. He'd also probably kill me if I tried to drop the bumper on his Y.

I'm open to any thoughts on this, especially those of you who have towed with it. Are you just lucking out with trailers that don't require a ball rise?
I've towed my 2500 lb (as loaded) camping trailer over 3000 miles with no problems whatsoever.
I lucked out I think. I use the maximum .75" rise and my trailer is level at that height.
I don't understand the restriction either, but wouldn't be surprised if it was just copied over from the Model X.

My trailer is a Flagstaff T12RB hard-sided fold-up trailer. I use 500Wh/mile as my planning figure and it seems to average out pretty close to that figure, sometimes less, at my usual 65 mph speeds.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ohmman and Thp3
Can someone recommend a ball mount that meets the 8.5 in length and 0.75in rise specification and where to purchase? The ones I commonly see have 3 to 4 in rises. Thanks.

Rick
All of the 2" drop hitches I've looked at are also listed as 3/4" rise when you flip them over. I don't see the length dimension listed on them though.

Reese Towpower 21536RAK 2" Drop Standard Class III Starter Kit Amazon.com

All of the 2" drop hitches I've looked at are also listed as 3/4" rise when you flip them over. I don't see the length dimension listed on them though.
I tried a Reese kit but the ball was mounted on the low side and impossible to get off. This was noted in the comments but I couldn't believe a manly man such as myself wouldn't be able to get it off. DOH!

I got the Reese 21792 drawbar/ball-mount and a 1" ball. Most, but not all, model dimensions are on the Reese site. And sometimes they're wrong. The 21792 is ~ 8.75" 'long' (center of pin to center of ball opening) not 10.5.

Last edited:
The rise limit is for two reasons: the first being the ball height puts the ball at the standard height of about 19”. The tongue weight limit would prevent any need for a higher mount.

The second would be the ball interfering with the tail gate although not really a problem.

Reactions: PhysicsGuy
I bought the Model Y with the tow package intending to pull a small teardrop camping trailer. Weight is not an issue as the trailer is only 1500 lb. However, distance from the ground to the bottom of the coupler is 16” when the trailer is level. On the Model Y, the top of the receiver is about 14” off the ground. This means that I need a ball mount with a 2” rise to keep the trailer level when towing. The problem, as noted above, is that the Model Y owner’s manual says the receiver will only support a ball mount with a rise of up to ¾”. Most camping trailers have their coupler height in the 16"-18” range, so this limitation would prevent the Model Y from towing any of them.

Does anyone know Tesla's reason for limiting the ball mount rise? If you have towed using a ball mount with a greater than ¾” rise, would you please share your experiences?

I bought the Model Y with the tow package intending to pull a small teardrop camping trailer. Weight is not an issue as the trailer is only 1500 lb. However, distance from the ground to the bottom of the coupler is 16” when the trailer is level. On the Model Y, the top of the receiver is about 14” off the ground. This means that I need a ball mount with a 2” rise to keep the trailer level when towing. The problem, as noted above, is that the Model Y owner’s manual says the receiver will only support a ball mount with a rise of up to ¾”. Most camping trailers have their coupler height in the 16"-18” range, so this limitation would prevent the Model Y from towing any of them.

Does anyone know Tesla's reason for limiting the ball mount rise? If you have towed using a ball mount with a greater than ¾” rise, would you please share your experiences?
I think I’ve just gotten stuck on this 3/4” rise limit. I have a NuCamp Tab 320 S Boondock. I’d asked the SA to clarify the requirements when I purchased the MY LR 19” wheels with towing and FSD. He came back saying the tow height is set by the trailer mfg. I took delivery last week.

There were a couple of delivery issues they’re resolving. One is the tow package doesn’t come with the break wiring. They’re fixing that!

I’ve been exchanging messages with service about connecting the trailer. If the MY receiver really sits at 14” I may have bought a very expensive tow vehicle that can’t tow! All with the help of a Tesla SA:(

Not sure why some are worried about not being dead nuts level. A single axle trailer really does not matter as nothing is really affected by being off level a bit. Nobody measures to make sure it is perfect as this also varies with load in the car. If you load more stuff in the car and it sinks an inch does one go out and buy a new receiver to accommodate? You will be fine.

How is the 8.5" measured? I had a hitch from a previous vehicle that is too short unfortunately, have to push the hitch into the bumper to get the pin to fit. Is the 8.5" from the pin to the ball as pictured below?

Hitch.jpeg

Reactions: PhysicsGuy