Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Hitch Receiver: Rise Limit Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I flipped a Reese drop hitch to get the .75" height. I also raised the Y with a MPP lift kit + arms for an additional 1.75". Then I used smaller diameter tires (with appropriate load rating) on the trailer. I also changed the jack wheel with a lower profile metal "foot".

If I knew I could safely have a higher hitch I would. Here is a picture before (and using no rise/generic 3 ball mount).

PXL_20210424_155343936.jpg

And after flipping the hitch and new tires (but not lift, I don't have a good picture of that).

PXL_20210528_180149514.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PhysicsGuy
None of the tow trailers available on Outdoorsy for rent near me seem to be compatible with the Y. Closest was a 2020 Jayco Flight SLX 174BH Baja Edition,

UVW 2945

But the coupler height is around 22". With our 15" receiver we'd need a 7" rise. So it's out.

It seems like the receiver height combined with the 3/4" rise restriction is going to make it super difficult tow anything!

None of the tow trailers available on Outdoorsy for rent near me seem to be compatible with the Y. Closest was a 2020 Jayco Flight SLX 174BH Baja Edition,

UVW 2945

But the coupler height is around 22". With our 15" receiver we'd need a 7" rise. So it's out.

It seems like the receiver height combined with the 3/4" rise restriction is going to make it super difficult tow anything!
Coupler is 19"*, so still need a 4" rise. What's the max rise you've used successfully and safely with your Y?

We will be upgrading probably next year, plenty of options within 3500lb and 350lb tongue weight. Not large trailers, but a few with a queen side bed and a small dinette. We dont use the toilet, thats just storage area.
I tow a 22' Airstream with my X, and tongue weight loaded is usually in the 450# range. I wish I could tow it with my Y as well. But alas..

I measured and it seems the standard drop on a regular Reese receiver is too low, so i installed the ball on the upper side, that gives you the max 3/4" rise. We used this to pull with the 4Runner, so even with the 3/4" rise it will be slightly lower, unfortunately.
We will be pulling a Rockwood 1940 LTD popup trailer. 1600lb with 195 lb tongue weight. We will also have some gear, 2 dogs and 4 bags of wood.
Campsite is about 90 miles away. We were lucky to get an electric site, so will charge over the weekend.

Reactions: ohmman
Why did you replace the factory hitch? To get the 3.5" rise?
yes as at the time (haven't checked again) the factory hitch had a lot of caveats about limits to the rise. There were also some reports of hitch failure so we didn't want to take any chances.

And we were able to reduce the tongue weight significantly by moving the batteries, changing to Lithium and also only using one propane tank. There really isn't a reason to travel with two unless you are going on some serious winter boondocking.

Reactions: Magneto3
We will be upgrading probably next year, plenty of options within 3500lb and 350lb tongue weight. Not large trailers, but a few with a queen side bed and a small dinette. We dont use the toilet, thats just storage area.
Hey fellow Canadian; I can recommend the Safari Condo Alto trailer models, made just next door to you in Quebec. There is a good dealer in London, ON; Can-Am RV.

The Y is capable of towing any of the Alto models, which range from 17 to 24 ft and from 1756 to 2947 lbs. Queen or king size sleeping areas, with separate dinettes, full kitchens and bathrooms. I use an X to tow my Alto F1743 but a Y would do very nicely. I might change to a Y someday.

09088EA9-AE3D-4928-99DE-28F4122458CE.jpeg

Love the Altos! They're just so dang hard to get a hold of down here in southern California, and when they pop up for sale on one of the related FB groups, they tend to sell same day!

I spoke with the service manager at the local Tesla service center about the rise issue. It was his take that, unofficially, as long as gvw and tongue weight stay under the factory limits, a 3-4" rise shouldn't be a problem. Adjustable ball hitch and a Basecamp 16 rental here we come.

Last piece we need is to find a good brake controller.

@Magneto3
That’s 3500lb with nothing else inside. I would definitely get a brake controller and a weight distribution hitch. If not that, at least a sway control bar.
Also, tongue weight is at 410lb. Officially, the Y is maxed at 350lb.
I’m not saying it cannot be done, however, in case of an insurance claim, they can deny it based on being overloaded beyond specs.
If you are pulling with an X, happy trailering !

Reactions: ecarfan and ohmman
Love the Altos! They're just so dang hard to get a hold of down here in southern California, and when they pop up for sale on one of the related FB groups, they tend to sell same day!

I spoke with the service manager at the local Tesla service center about the rise issue. It was his take that, unofficially, as long as gvw and tongue weight stay under the factory limits, a 3-4" rise shouldn't be a problem. Adjustable ball hitch and a Basecamp 16 rental here we come.

Last piece we need is to find a good brake controller.
How did it go?? I bought a curt adjustable hitch on FB marketplace because this this crazy awesome Canadian used the full sway bar setup. When I saw the hitch for $20 I figured why not... only to find out both the rise length were too much...

I am hoping to pick up a braxton creek bushwacker 15DS this weekend but seriously nervous about the coupler height requirements now...